How stable is your Sync? Does the phone make a difference?

wilsons66604

Does your phone make your Sync sick?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Phone do you have and do you have Sync issues

• I have an iPhone and Sync problems
    • I have an iPhone and NO (or few) Sync problems
    • I have a BlackBerry and Sync problems
    • I have a BlackBerry and NO (or few) Sync problems
    • I have an Android and Sync problems
    • I have an Android and NO (or few) Sync problems
    • I have Other and Sync problems
    • I have Other and NO (or few) Sync problems

I thought it was strange that many people have problems with the new Sync/Touch in the 11 Edge while others have no problems.

Is the most stable Sync/Touch environment one that uses phone X ??

Is the most stable Sync the one that doesn't use BT Audio.

If you have NO problems please post what features you use.

Edited by wilsons66604

Not directly related to your poll but I can relay some observations regarding varying compatibility with 2 different smartphones. I recently got an Android 2.2 phone (HTC Desire Z) to replace a BlackBerry 9700 Bold. The BB supported Phonebook photos and addresses from it could sort of be seen in Navigation (though Navigation refused to see them as valid addresses). The Android doesn't do this. I've had a number of disconnects/reconnects with the Android whereas the BB would connect once and stay connected. Also the BB was the only one which could be configured to work with (some of) the vehicle's Internet settings.

BTW, does anyone have a phone that supports text messaging?

Edited by Ctrl-z

Not directly related to your poll but I can relay some observations regarding varying compatibility with 2 different smartphones. I recently got an Android 2.2 phone (HTC Desire Z) to replace a BlackBerry 9700 Bold. The BB supported Phonebook photos and addresses from it could sort of be seen in Navigation (though Navigation refused to see them as valid addresses). The Android doesn't do this. I've had a number of disconnects/reconnects with the Android whereas the BB would connect once and stay connected. Also the BB was the only one which could be configured to work with (some of) the vehicle's Internet settings.

BTW, does anyone have a phone that supports text messaging?

It does seem like Ford concentrated on getting the BlackBerry first. I hope they can features to work for other devices soon.

It does seem like Ford concentrated on getting the BlackBerry first. I hope they can features to work for other devices soon.

Why do you keep blaming this on Ford? Ford Sync uses the Bluetooth interface standards. The fact that it works for some phones but not for others indicates that Ford has correctly implemented their side of the Bluetooth interface (with the exception of a few bugs here or there). If some feature did not work for ANY phones then you could assume that might be a bug in Ford's implementation but I haven't heard that.

Each cellphone mfr and service provider's bluetooth implementation is different. They all support different levels and features. All Ford can do is make the interface and features available - it's up to the cellphone mfr and service provider to take advantage of it and to use it correctly. Ford has no control over this. The problem is there are probably very few BT devices out there that support the features that Sync supports. BT headsets only support audio e.g.

My point is that if a particular phone doesn't work but at least one other one does then the problem is with the cell phone, not Sync. So Ford isn't "getting the BlackBerry first". It just means that RIM did a better job implementing their bluetooth interface.

Why do you keep blaming this on Ford? Ford Sync uses the Bluetooth interface standards. The fact that it works for some phones but not for others indicates that Ford has correctly implemented their side of the Bluetooth interface (with the exception of a few bugs here or there). If some feature did not work for ANY phones then you could assume that might be a bug in Ford's implementation but I haven't heard that.

Each cellphone mfr and service provider's bluetooth implementation is different. They all support different levels and features. All Ford can do is make the interface and features available - it's up to the cellphone mfr and service provider to take advantage of it and to use it correctly. Ford has no control over this. The problem is there are probably very few BT devices out there that support the features that Sync supports. BT headsets only support audio e.g.

My point is that if a particular phone doesn't work but at least one other one does then the problem is with the cell phone, not Sync. So Ford isn't "getting the BlackBerry first". It just means that RIM did a better job implementing their bluetooth interface.

Have you had any issues with your Ford Touch?

There are several BlueTooth standards. It's all about which ones are implemented and what phones use them.

It is not up to the cell phone manufacturing to implement a standard just to work with Ford. Ford said it works with most phones and that they had "partnered" with Apple. I'm saying I hope they can get the issues worked out soon.

Edited by wilsons66604

There are several BlueTooth standards. It's all about which ones are implemented and what phones use them.

It is not up to the cell phone manufacturing to implement a standard just to work with Ford. Ford said it works with most phones and that they had "partnered" with Apple. I'm saying I hope they can get the issues worked out soon.

Several Bluetooth standards? If you mean different profiles for different functions or different versions of said profiles then yes, but having multiple standards is an oxymoron.

If a Ford Sync feature requires a specific profile (Phone Book Access Profile e.g.) and Ford implements that profile correctly then it's up to the cell phone mfr/provider to implement that profile or the feature won't work on that phone. They're not coding to a Ford spec - they're coding to a Bluetooth profile spec.

Reading text messages works great on my wife's Motorola Razr. This proves that Ford implemented that feature correctly as did Motorola on the RAZR. If it doesn't work on other phones then it's because the phone mfr didn't implement it at all or didn't implement it correctly. Ford may choose to partner with certain high profile cell phone mfrs like Apple but ultimately it's still up to the cell phone mfr to provide the appropriate Bluetooth features.

Several Bluetooth standards? If you mean different profiles for different functions or different versions of said profiles then yes, but having multiple standards is an oxymoron.

If a Ford Sync feature requires a specific profile (Phone Book Access Profile e.g.) and Ford implements that profile correctly then it's up to the cell phone mfr/provider to implement that profile or the feature won't work on that phone. They're not coding to a Ford spec - they're coding to a Bluetooth profile spec.

Reading text messages works great on my wife's Motorola Razr. This proves that Ford implemented that feature correctly as did Motorola on the RAZR. If it doesn't work on other phones then it's because the phone mfr didn't implement it at all or didn't implement it correctly. Ford may choose to partner with certain high profile cell phone mfrs like Apple but ultimately it's still up to the cell phone mfr to provide the appropriate Bluetooth features.

Akirby is right on, on this one. The car has the ability to do way more then most phones can, it is not an issue with Ford working with the Apple's and HTC's of the world, it is those companies turning on basic defined Bluetooth profiles, that will allow our phones to interact with SYNC. Like we know how long it took for the iPhone to get Audio Streaming, that is just 1 of about 30 Bluetooth profiles available.

I meant to say "versions" not standards. There are several versions and many protocols. Ford picked and chose which ones to implement.

You seem to have passed over my question...

And oh. I keep "blaming Ford" because every time I start this FORD vehicle, I see a big FORD logo animate across the buggy Touch screen.

Razor?? I had one of those back in the '90s

Edited by wilsons66604

I meant to say "versions" not standards. There are several versions and many protocols. Ford picked and chose which ones to implement.

Ford "picked and chose" which ones to implement based on the features they're providing. e.g. To get remote control of streaming audio via BT Ford implements the AVRCP profile. If Ford chose version 1.0 which only supports basic commands like start/stop/play/pause then any phone or device that also supports AVRCP should work. Even if the phone supports a higher version with more features (1.4 e.g.) it should be backwards compatible with version 1.0 for the 1.0 features.

The problem is cell phone mfrs do not choose to implement AVRCP or many other Bluetooth profiles or they don't implement it correctly according to the standard.

You seem to suggest that Ford has a choice of different profiles for the same function or that they've created their own proprietary profiles and I don't think that's the case. That's not how Bluetooth standards work.

But you seem only to be interested in bashing Ford rather than trying to figure out where the real problem lies.

You seem to have passed over my question...

I passed over it because it's not relevant to how Sync and Bluetooth works. I have a 2008 Edge Limited so I have sync but not Ford Touch.

BTW - if you want to bash Ford then bash them for releasing the MyTouch software before it was ready. It's way too buggy and they released it too soon. That is 100% Ford's fault.

I rest my case.

I bet if you had a new Edge with Touch then you would be telling another story. You have no way of relating to the frustration that many owners are going through now. Stop bashing the frustrated owners!

I bet if you had a new Edge with Touch then you would be telling another story. You have no way of relating to the frustration that many owners are going through now. Stop bashing the frustrated owners!

No, I'd be telling the same story. Blame Ford for buggy software but don't blame Ford because certain cellphone mfrs haven't fully implemented Bluetooth. You're the only one who wants to accuse Ford of deceptive advertising which isn't true.

My goodness - you are like little boys bickering over who broke the toy when you where both pulling on it.

Yes, MFT has bugs - Microsoft was involved,

Yes, certain cell phones have issues or can't do everything that others can - they are different cell phones with different capabilities, it is to be expected that they would then work differently.

I would say with the "poll" showing almost equal results on the Iphone - I would say that it isn't the phone causing the issues with MFT. If you are unhappy with the software/hardware, give ford and your dealer a chance to try and fix it. NOTHING will ultimately be fixed from this site.

My goodness - you are like little boys bickering over who broke the toy when you where both pulling on it.

Yes, certain cell phones have issues or can't do everything that others can - they are different cell phones with different capabilities, it is to be expected that they would then work differently.

I would say with the "poll" showing almost equal results on the Iphone - I would say that it isn't the phone causing the issues with MFT. If you are unhappy with the software/hardware, give ford and your dealer a chance to try and fix it. NOTHING will ultimately be fixed from this site.

You are so right choff. Sorry for the bickering.

Yeah....well HE started it!

Hello all. I just purchased a 2011 Edge Limited AWD fully loaded and my Droid X is recognized by the phone but won't stream audio. I have tried to use Pandora and do not know what I am doing wrong. My car recognizes my phone and reads texts and makes calls but won't stream audio. Could someone PLEASE tell me what to do?

A frustrated Edge lover!