Ford Edge Panoramic Vista Roof: Here comes the sun

Ford Edge Panoramic Vista Roof: Here comes the sun.

edge07.vistaroof1400.jpg

By Chris Kassab, FCN

The sunroof is taking a back seat in the new 2007 Ford Edge.

"The Edge’s Vista Roof™ opens all the way back over the rear compartment, so the people who are sitting in the rear of the vehicle can actually look up and see the sky above them," said Doyle Letson, Edge’s chief designer.

The class-exclusive panoramic glass roof allows nine square feet of natural light to flood the vehicle cabin. The look and feel of the roof was inspired by interior décor cues – specifically, the expansive windows of the popular urban loft condo, according to Earl Lucas, interior design manager for Edge.

"In the same way that you'd expect lots of light in a loft, the Vista Roof also allows a lot of light to come through," he said.

“When you sit in this vehicle and look up and see the sky all around you, you just want to take it out for a drive and chase the horizon,” said Peter Horbury, Ford's executive director of Design, North America.

The type of free-spiritedness Horbury describes may be at the root of an emerging trend. More and more, consumers are opting for vehicles with some type of glass roof. In 2001, 20% of all vehicles manufactured in North America were equipped with sunroofs. According to CSM Worldwide, an auto industry forecasting firm, that figure is expected to rise another 10 percent by 2010.

edge07.vistaroof1300.jpg

Click here to see the Panoramic Vista roof in action.

What’s the attraction?

Psychologists say people naturally feel better when they’re exposed to daylight.

"The benefit goes without saying. Light helps elevate mood," said Marjorie Scott, Ph.D., chairman of the Doctoral Program at the Michigan School of Professional Psychology. "When we're sitting next to a window with the sun shining in, we feel much better than when we're sitting in a darker room without windows."

Researchers believe there is a link between light and a person’s frame of mind. Lack of sunlight – especially in the fall and winter months – has been shown to cause seasonal depression, a condition that affects more than 36 million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health.

While no one is suggesting that expansive sunroofs are a cure for depression, psychologists agree that there are health benefits.

“The subjective reports are that people feel more energized,” said Paul Arbisi, Ph.D., associate professor of Psychology, University of Minnesota. “They feel more active, and their moods are lighter.”

“When your mood is elevated, you have a much more positive attitude about whatever you’re doing,” said Scott. “You can get along better with people when you feel good. And you’re less likely to get sick when you feel good.”

The Edge’s Vista Roof™ sports a large 27.3- by 29.4-inch forward panel that offers tilt and slide opening and a 15.75- by 31.3-inch fixed rear glass panel. A one-touch open switch provides open-air touring.

"It's good to see the natural world," said Chris Peterson, Ph.D., professor of Psychology at the University of Michigan. "Studies have shown that people who work in offices with windows that look out at greenery like their jobs better. If the Ford Edge can help you see the natural world, that's great."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

What is your take on the Vista roof not allowing the outside elements to come into the cabin.

I opened as it was raining and as we were moving water was dripping in over the rear edge and being blown forward onto my head.

Is there a speed that i shouldnt assume i should not open the roof?

thanks

Mr Tee

Hey,

What is your take on the Vista roof not allowing the outside elements to come into the cabin.

I opened as it was raining and as we were moving water was dripping in over the rear edge and being blown forward onto my head.

Is there a speed that i shouldnt assume i should not open the roof?

thanks

Mr Tee

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I purchased our Edge three weeks ago, loaded AWD SEL, the only things it doesn't have is Navi and DVD. To the problem; we live in Southern California, during the summer, the days, temps easly exceed 100 degrees. With this California heat the Pano roof becomes a magnifing glass exaserbating the heat to unberable. If the car is parked out side, it can not be vented with the shade closed!!! :banghead::finger::censored: ??? Which rocket scientest and Ford developed and supported this logic :redcard: ?? The shades atre poorly (if at all) insulated?? If you live in a warm climate, this car becomes a real challenge. In addition, the roofs (shades) are not independent. If you mhave a small child or elderly person in the back the roof mus remained closed :banghead::finger::redcard: :wacko:. My dealer is going to un wind this deal and put us into a non roofed Edge. You blew this one big time Ford. If you are going to put a big boy roof in a car, better take some lessons from the big boys, Audi, MBZ, BMW all have these types of roofs without these issues.

Ford Edge Panoramic Vista Roof: Here comes the sun.

edge07.vistaroof1400.jpg

By Chris Kassab, FCN

The sunroof is taking a back seat in the new 2007 Ford Edge.

"The Edge’s Vista Roof™ opens all the way back over the rear compartment, so the people who are sitting in the rear of the vehicle can actually look up and see the sky above them," said Doyle Letson, Edge’s chief designer.

The class-exclusive panoramic glass roof allows nine square feet of natural light to flood the vehicle cabin. The look and feel of the roof was inspired by interior décor cues – specifically, the expansive windows of the popular urban loft condo, according to Earl Lucas, interior design manager for Edge.

"In the same way that you'd expect lots of light in a loft, the Vista Roof also allows a lot of light to come through," he said.

“When you sit in this vehicle and look up and see the sky all around you, you just want to take it out for a drive and chase the horizon,” said Peter Horbury, Ford's executive director of Design, North America.

The type of free-spiritedness Horbury describes may be at the root of an emerging trend. More and more, consumers are opting for vehicles with some type of glass roof. In 2001, 20% of all vehicles manufactured in North America were equipped with sunroofs. According to CSM Worldwide, an auto industry forecasting firm, that figure is expected to rise another 10 percent by 2010.

edge07.vistaroof1300.jpg

Click here to see the Panoramic Vista roof in action.

What’s the attraction?

Psychologists say people naturally feel better when they’re exposed to daylight.

"The benefit goes without saying. Light helps elevate mood," said Marjorie Scott, Ph.D., chairman of the Doctoral Program at the Michigan School of Professional Psychology. "When we're sitting next to a window with the sun shining in, we feel much better than when we're sitting in a darker room without windows."

Researchers believe there is a link between light and a person’s frame of mind. Lack of sunlight – especially in the fall and winter months – has been shown to cause seasonal depression, a condition that affects more than 36 million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health.

While no one is suggesting that expansive sunroofs are a cure for depression, psychologists agree that there are health benefits.

“The subjective reports are that people feel more energized,” said Paul Arbisi, Ph.D., associate professor of Psychology, University of Minnesota. “They feel more active, and their moods are lighter.”

“When your mood is elevated, you have a much more positive attitude about whatever you’re doing,” said Scott. “You can get along better with people when you feel good. And you’re less likely to get sick when you feel good.”

The Edge’s Vista Roof™ sports a large 27.3- by 29.4-inch forward panel that offers tilt and slide opening and a 15.75- by 31.3-inch fixed rear glass panel. A one-touch open switch provides open-air touring.

"It's good to see the natural world," said Chris Peterson, Ph.D., professor of Psychology at the University of Michigan. "Studies have shown that people who work in offices with windows that look out at greenery like their jobs better. If the Ford Edge can help you see the natural world, that's great."

All I can say - I love my Edge - I love the BAMR - I do live in a northern climate - so the hot days aren't such a big deal.

No other cross over has a sun roof this big - perhaps the sun shade could be more insulating - but don't forget the sun and heat pound in from your windshield and windows.

Don't blame FORD on this one - the VISTA roof is an option not standard. Lucky you that your dealer is understanding.

All I can say - I love my Edge - I love the BAMR - I do live in a northern climate - so the hot days aren't such a big deal.

No other cross over has a sun roof this big - perhaps the sun shade could be more insulating - but don't forget the sun and heat pound in from your windshield and windows.

Don't blame FORD on this one - the VISTA roof is an option not standard. Lucky you that your dealer is understanding.

I agree with Edgy Girl.

I live in Memphis, TN. Very humid and temps in the upper 90's. Closing the shade when I park does help keep the car cooler than if I leave it open.

Even with that, I figure a small price to pay to have the BAMR.

And yes. The Vista roof is an OPTION. You don't like it, don't have it. You have taken care of that (thanks to a very understanding dealer).

Problem solved.

it gets plenty hot here in Georgia and even with the charcoal interior it's only hot for a short period until the AC gets going (and our AC works great.. some reported there's is not so great).

I wouldn't have purchased the Edge without the BAMR.

Bryce

• 2 weeks later...

I opted out of the BAMR due its limitations on adding a roof rack. I am a cyclist and did not want to limit carrying bikes on the roof rack. Additionally I have a moon roof on my current Maxima which I could care less to use so I figured that the insulating properties of a solid roof were better then a Vista roof but Ford made this an OPTION for me which I chose to ignore, different stokes. If I did live in a HOT climate which I think Washington DC qualifies as such I would pass on the BAMR option.