Alarm and Remote start

If you didnt get the factory just go aftermarket. they dovoid warranties (however a dealer may tell you they do to get the business) magnusson-moss act protects the consumer for this.The added units at a dealership are usually code alarm with a re-badged remote to say ford. the range on these units suck. If this isnt te case then they will send it out and just sell it with a warranty to match the factory.

Is it a remote start and Alarm?

The reason why I rather go Ford is cause every aftermarket installer I have seen has hacked up the harness under the dash guessing what wire works for what and then taping them back up. At Ford they will know what wire does what and less extra splicing will be required.

Does anybody know the part number for the Alarm and Remote start kit?

I do love Code-Alarm, have had them in several vehicles and they work great.

I was a professional installer 10 years at varrious shops (been out of the biz for about 2 years now). The unit your dealer will put in will be spliced also. MOst shops have access to the same manuals as the dealer all data is a paid for service that has the ford shop manuals in it. There are many other wire color/function programs put out by the alarm companies also. The other thing is about 50-75% of dealers out there contract with the ma-pa shops to do their work its not beneficial for a dealer since its not a steady job for an installer. A normal mechanic at the dealer does not do this type of work.

To each is their own, but if you want to put in a remote start that only works from about 100' away that is way over priced go for it.

On a side note i would stay away from most big box stores and focus on smaller shops.

whats longer? most aftermarket come with a lifetime, ford usually only gives a 3year/36mo. to me a lifetime is more than that..

But your ford one cant do half as many functions as an aftermarket. mine i can call from a phone to start, up to 1 mile of range with remote. i can turn on each of the heated seats independently and adjust the them, turn on the rear defrost, open the power lift gate

Edited by baum

Can the remote start package be added after I already bought the car? If so, how much approx will it be?

I have a 2011 Limited AWD.

EDIT: I'm referring to the push start.

The push button start is an option when ordering "the drivers package" I can't imagine it being available after it is built since it would involve a whole different dash.

Oh push button. I have seen people install them on other cars that never had them but there was lots of customizing to do with the wiring. I dont think you would need a whole new dash but some fabrication to the key plate area from what you have now. I would contact a dealer direct to see what needs to be done.

From what I was told a while back all newer cars have this feature built in to the computer now but may need extra hardware to make it work.

whats longer? most aftermarket come with a lifetime, ford usually only gives a 3year/36mo. to me a lifetime is more than that..

But your ford one cant do half as many functions as an aftermarket. mine i can call from a phone to start, up to 1 mile of range with remote. i can turn on each of the heated seats independently and adjust the them, turn on the rear defrost, open the power lift gate

Which remote start is this? I really want to add a remote start to my AWD Limited 2011 and just have no idea what to go with.

Calling on a phone to start your car is an expensive option with a $50.00 a year fee plus you have to have a smartphone. The module is almost $300 that has to get installed on the remote starter if you use a remote starter from http://www.directed.com/ The phones you have to have are iPhone, Blackberry or the Android to use the SmartStart.

I dont know what Autopage charges for monthly or yearly fees. Maybe you can post prices for Autopages phone starter features, module and monthly/yearly fees?

all major alarm companies have their own phone activation add-on piece. compurtar has their drone, autopage has thrie c3 module. The autopage is nore monthly due to it being also controlled via web. it also have gps tracking abilities.

The smart start it meant to "replace" the remote control and all you use is the smartphone.

Mine is an added piece from audiovox from an old audiovox alarm i had in my 06 explorer. If i went with an audiovox alarm it would do all the functions that the remote would. the piece is just all phone menu opperated so it works with land lines also. i just call a 1-800 number put in a code and do all the functions from there. when this piece was release back in 05-06 there was no activation and there is no yearly charge.

with that being said i only hooked up the remote start portion to my autopage. so i call it and i can only start it. i dont care about being able to unlock the doors from a distance, i only care about being able to start it at work when my edge is a few blocks away.

keep in mine the distance they "tell" you a remote start works is not with any interference around. However what they dont disclose is to comply with FCC they have to accept interference... so the range is never what they say.

Now with all the phone add-ons these work on cell technology so if you are in cell reange (analog usually) they will work.

• 3 months later...

So would a Viper SmartStart be compatible with the 2011 Driver Package (remote start / perimeter alarm / pwr liftgate)?

I'm still undecided between the Limited and the SEL, and this might help the decision.

I like the remote start and keyless start of the Drivers package, but would like the ability to use the Smart Start from my MyTouch 4G. And could possibly go with the SEL and then add my own Remote Start (won't have the push button with this option though)

thoughts?

No aftermarket Alarms are compatible with the factory system. The factory system must be disabled first.

The remote start only should be able to work with the factory system, however you may need extra add ons to the remote start kit to make it interface with the stock system.