2011 AWD Ford Edge - Fixed the leaky PTU?

mindwarp

I'm seriously considering the Edge.

However, I have cruddy luck when it comes to hardware. If there's a piece of equipment or hardware with a semi-common occurence of a poor issue, I'll usually be one of the unlucky buyers that experiences it. As such, when it comes to cars I've decided to avoid the vehicle if it's something major like this. Plus, from what I hear one of the early indicators is a burning scent, but I lack the ability to smell so I'm afraid I won't notice until it's too late.

So, is the issue resolved with the 2011's?

Anyway, what I'm considering:

2011 Ford Edge SEL

AWD

Bordeaux Red

Spec 202A

Navigation stereo upgrade

NO sunroof/moonroof

Edited by mindwarp

Troll?

How is my post a troll? I posted in 2 categories since I didn't know which one would have users that KNOW the answer (2011 model / AWD powertrain)

It's a serious question, and scanning through the multi-page threads in other categories on this page, I can't find an answer.

From what I can tell the 2010 still had the issue. From what I can also tell, they made *some* changes to the 2011 model. But I don't know if the PTU is one of them.

I seriously want the car, but I also don't want to "roll the dice" on the issue since I lack a sense of smell.

Edited by mindwarp

I'm seriously considering the Edge.

However, I have cruddy luck when it comes to hardware. If there's a piece of equipment or hardware with a semi-common occurence of a poor issue, I'll usually be one of the unlucky buyers that experiences it. As such, when it comes to cars I've decided to avoid the vehicle if it's something major like this. Plus, from what I hear one of the early indicators is a burning scent, but I lack the ability to smell so I'm afraid I won't notice until it's too late.

So, is the issue resolved with the 2011's?

Anyway, what I'm considering:

2011 Ford Edge SEL

AWD

Bordeaux Red

Spec 202A

Navigation stereo upgrade

NO sunroof/moonroof

While I don't have an answer to your question, I do have the EXACT edge that you are looking at. Same color, same everything. So far I absolutely love it. No problems as of yet. By the way, it took my dealer a while to find this car, seems that most have the vista roof, which I did not want.

I have 2011 AWD Sport. It sits in my garage and havent had a drop of anything but air conditioning water drop off the car. I hammer it pretty good sometimes and never had any bad shifts or weird smells except when driving past the WM garbage plant.

I have had the car 3 months now and I am satisfied. The AWD image on the left display, shows when each wheel is getting power from the tranny. Usually the vehicle works in FWD, but when pushing or starting hard from a light you will see the AWD take effect. I cant tell you about slippery road because Florida gets no snow or ice, but I am sure someone will comment from Alaska or up north.

I have 2011 AWD Sport. It sits in my garage and havent had a drop of anything but air conditioning water drop off the car. I hammer it pretty good sometimes and never had any bad shifts or weird smells except when driving past the WM garbage plant.

I have had the car 3 months now and I am satisfied. The AWD image on the left display, shows when each wheel is getting power from the tranny. Usually the vehicle works in FWD, but when pushing or starting hard from a light you will see the AWD take effect. I cant tell you about slippery road because Florida gets no snow or ice, but I am sure someone will comment from Alaska or up north.

Well we've got lots of slippery roads now and I've been entertaining myself watching the AWD display while still more of less watching where I'm driving. Sometimes its the fronts with a variable sized blue light, sometimes the rears and sometimes both sets. I'm not aware of which driving situations dictate which set of wheels illuminate, actually seems to be an indication of how much slippage is occuring. as steady-state driving shows dots of light at all 4 wheels and the harder you punch it, the bigger the light On the same axle, the lights are always equal.

Edited by Ctrl-z