Problems with Interior

I'm driving the Ford Edge SEL 2011 on loan for now 2 days - Originally I was very excited about this opportunity since I considered buiyng the Sport one mid 2011. But after 2 days I can help but noticing the following interior problems:

- The front seat head rest is way too canted and you can't remove it and turn it around

- The aluminun trim cornering the mid consol is killing my right knee

- Shifting down in Drive has to be done carefully to not end up in Manual

- They got rid of that phone and wallet spot I like so much in the older version

It is a great crossover and I love driving it and if someone had a solution for the headrest I would buy it.

I'm driving the Ford Edge SEL 2011 on loan for now 2 days - Originally I was very excited about this opportunity since I considered buiyng the Sport one mid 2011. But after 2 days I can help but noticing the following interior problems:

- The front seat head rest is way too canted and you can't remove it and turn it around

- The aluminun trim cornering the mid consol is killing my right knee

- Shifting down in Drive has to be done carefully to not end up in Manual

- They got rid of that phone and wallet spot I like so much in the older version

It is a great crossover and I love driving it and if someone had a solution for the headrest I would buy it.

Regarding the headrest, I didn't like it either at first but found that if I moved it to a higher position so that my head hit it towards the bottom of the headrest it was much easier to deal with. I'm 6'4" , btw.

Regarding the headrest, I didn't like it either at first but found that if I moved it to a higher position so that my head hit it towards the bottom of the headrest it was much easier to deal with. I'm 6'4" , btw.

Yes the rear headrest can be removed with an allen wrench or anything strong and small enough to fit in that hole so that you can push on the release. (crazy system - maybe Ford wanted to prevent kids from removing the headrest when we're driving...) for the driver and passenger side headrest you need to push on the protuding button located at he Right base (if seated you twist around) and at the same time depress the flushed button on the Left base and push up the all headrest. (I tried all that yesterday afternoon). Now I have to find head rest less canted that fit in these seats...

You don't have to worry about this on the 11' Sport. Manual shifting isn't on the stick, its paddle shifters on the wheel.

Think they mean on the stick, since M is below D if you're used to D being at the bottom. (Rather than D at the bottom then left/right into manual mode like other vehicles)

One of the VERY first things I did when I got my Edge was flip the headrest. I wear a high ponytail most of the time, and it just wasn't working for me. Saw the posts tonight about the Allen wrench, but maybe that's just for the back headrests, as mine came out & flipped fairly easily with just the button (both driver & passenger in front).

Only downside is the pretty stitching isn't on the backside, which is now the frontside. Small thing to give up for ponytail freedom! :D

One of the VERY first things I did when I got my Edge was flip the headrest. I wear a high ponytail most of the time, and it just wasn't working for me. Saw the posts tonight about the Allen wrench, but maybe that's just for the back headrests, as mine came out & flipped fairly easily with just the button (both driver & passenger in front).

Only downside is the pretty stitching isn't on the backside, which is now the frontside. Small thing to give up for ponytail freedom! :D

You know that headrest is designed that way for whiplash protection, right? Reversing the headrest puts it way too far from your head.

Turning it around is not good in a rear crash...but it is easy to turn around as stated up above. Other vehicles headrests MAY fit in there as well (mustang, fusion, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Response from the NHTSA regarding the headrests from hell:

We have found that some manufacturers have placed the head restraint much closer to the head than the 55 mm that the upgraded standard requires. We have been told specifically by Ford that the IIHS ratings are forcing them to put head restraints closer than they need to for our new standard and for safety. They do this knowing that it will alienate a small segment of their customers, but they will gain customers if they get a high rating from IIHS. In a presentation last year at a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) conference, Ford stated that, in order to get a good IIHS rating, the backset value they must design to for the Ford Edge is just 2 mm. This is much closer to then the 55 mm required by our standard.

You know that headrest is designed that way for whiplash protection, right? Reversing the headrest puts it way too far from your head.

Slow response, as I just saw this. :)

yep, I'm very aware that's what it is for. I also know that I can't/won't drive with my neck bent forward in a ridiculous position.

Flipping the headrest results in it being in almost the exact spot that my old Camry was (as in distance-from-my-head). I'm not feeling unsafe at all... but thanks for your concern!

Slow response, as I just saw this. :)

yep, I'm very aware that's what it is for. I also know that I can't/won't drive with my neck bent forward in a ridiculous position.

Flipping the headrest results in it being in almost the exact spot that my old Camry was (as in distance-from-my-head). I'm not feeling unsafe at all... but thanks for your concern!

By raising my headrest all the way to the top notch, it prevents it from bugging me.

• 3 weeks later...

I lost a lot of storage going from an '08 edge to an '11.

Cupholders are smaller, door cupholders are almost non-existent, center console tray is less convenient (but the center stack looks nicer), shelf/tray on top of dash is gone, little storage on interior door pulls is gone, and the tray inside the center console is smaller.

It's not that big of a deal just need to get used to it, at least it was to make the interior more attractive.

I lost a lot of storage going from an '08 edge to an '11.

Cupholders are smaller, door cupholders are almost non-existent, center console tray is less convenient (but the center stack looks nicer), shelf/tray on top of dash is gone, little storage on interior door pulls is gone, and the tray inside the center console is smaller.

It's not that big of a deal just need to get used to it, at least it was to make the interior more attractive.

I noticed the lack of places to put my stuff right away.

The under arm console is huge but a I would like a better tray that fits in it. The coin tray is a joke.