ODD ODOR FROM HEATER

sanche

Hello Edge fans,

I have an '08 limited AWD w/ 40+K miles. Love the car and have owned since new.

Recently, a strong smell comes through the vent system when I turn on the heat.

It lasts for about 5 minutes, then it clears up. It does not matter if the a/c is on or off.

Its hard to describe the odor, but it does not smell like anti-freeze, its sort of a musty dry smell

At times its so uncomfortable that I need to open a window.

I drive it daily so it can't be from the car not being used enough.

All other modes work fine it only happends occasionally when I turn on the heat.

Can this be related to the heater core recall? Any one else have/had this problem?

Thank you.

It could be mold inside the system. Do you have access to a good steamer? If so, let it run for at least 60 seconds or more in one of the vents so the steam comes out the others. This will kill any germs inside the system and clean it out well. I do that for every customer that I detail their car.

Hello Edge fans,

It lasts for about 5 minutes, then it clears up. It does not matter if the a/c is on or off.

Its hard to describe the odor, but it does not smell like anti-freeze, its sort of a musty dry smell

All other modes work fine it only happends occasionally when I turn on the heat.

Can this be related to the heater core recall? Any one else have/had this problem?

Thank you.

I had the same issue. I carefully cleaned the ducts after removing the air filter. Did not help. Finally I traced the problem to my wiper blades! The rubber held a mold odor. Especially bad if the Edge was parked in full sun. The odor had been overpowering at times.

I had the same issue. I carefully cleaned the ducts after removing the air filter. Did not help. Finally I traced the problem to my wiper blades! The rubber held a mold odor. Especially bad if the Edge was parked in full sun. The odor had been overpowering at times.

The wiper blades? I'll try that,need to change them anyway.

The steaming idea sounds like it will clean out the ducts, but I don't have a powerful enough unit. I wonder if that would leave puddles in the duct work.

Anyway, I drove the car today, the temp is 43 F, and there was no odor or musty smell.

Will lysol spray kill mold?

Thanks all

The wiper blades? I'll try that,need to change them anyway.

The steaming idea sounds like it will clean out the ducts, but I don't have a powerful enough unit. I wonder if that would leave puddles in the duct work.

Anyway, I drove the car today, the temp is 43 F, and there was no odor or musty smell.

Will lysol spray kill mold?

Thanks all

Lysol should although it needs to be in contact with the surface for at least 2 minutes to do its thing.

If you are experiencing a mold problem and the Lysol clears up the smell, the mold will return again next Summer when you start using your air conditioner.

To prevent the reoccurence of the mold, do not leave the A/C on the recirculate air position(inside air). After you get the vehicle cool on recirculate, switch the A/C to outside air. That will prevent the mold from forming.

Do the same with your heat--- use outside air after warming the vehicle.

Edited by flyerjmr33

Check to make sure that your PTU Unit isn't leaking. Bring to the dealer. The smell recently happened in my 08 AWD edge limited and The smell was unbearable. You'll find this happens whenever you drive for a while and stop at a light or to pick someone up. The heater brings in the smell from the leaking PTU unit spraying onto the exhaust. When your driving the smell doesn't go up the engine as the PTU unit is directly below it. When you stop however, the unit sprays on the exhaust and the fumes get sucked up into your heater and into your car. I JUST HAD THIS DONE, and if you check the forums, its VERY common. Hopefully the new seal on the PTU unit stays and this doesn't happen again.

GOOD LUCK!

And otherwise I love my edge.

Check to make sure that your PTU Unit isn't leaking. Bring to the dealer. The smell recently happened in my 08 AWD edge limited and The smell was unbearable. You'll find this happens whenever you drive for a while and stop at a light or to pick someone up. The heater brings in the smell from the leaking PTU unit spraying onto the exhaust. When your driving the smell doesn't go up the engine as the PTU unit is directly below it. When you stop however, the unit sprays on the exhaust and the fumes get sucked up into your heater and into your car. I JUST HAD THIS DONE, and if you check the forums, its VERY common. Hopefully the new seal on the PTU unit stays and this doesn't happen again.

GOOD LUCK!

And otherwise I love my edge.

Hi ZypherDraco,

Your description seems to be exactly what I'm getting. The smell is hard to explain, but others tell me it smells like burnt lubricant, so I think your right.

I'll check under the car this w/e, but I have a couple of questions;

1. How many seals on the PTU need replacement. Where are they located?

2. How many days did it take the dealer to fix the car?

Thanks much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Edge fans,

Thank you.

I have an '08 with 28K on it and this is exactly what has happen to me within the last couple of weeks. This smell is not a heater core leak smell or oil from my PTU since that was changed but the smell is like a strong musty smell and is obnoxious. I plan to bring it in to my dealer to have them take a look at it so that they can eliminate any other issues. I will post back when I find out the problem.

• 2 months later...

I have an '08 with 28K on it and this is exactly what has happen to me within the last couple of weeks. This smell is not a heater core leak smell or oil from my PTU since that was changed but the smell is like a strong musty smell and is obnoxious. I plan to bring it in to my dealer to have them take a look at it so that they can eliminate any other issues. I will post back when I find out the problem.

Did you ever get this resolved and could you please share the fix since my '08 with 30K on it has the same horrible, disgusting smell and I can't stand driving it anymore...

Thanks!

Did you ever get this resolved and could you please share the fix since my '08 with 30K on it has the same horrible, disgusting smell and I can't stand driving it anymore...

Thanks!

Did either of you ever get this resolved? I notice whenever the vehicle gets wet in rain or snow...

Get some ozium in a spray can. Take out the cabin air filter and turn heat on. Spray ozium where you removed the cabin air filter....(behind the glove box) and replace cabin air filter. They make cabin air filters that have baking soda in them now....usually stocked at wally world. This will make the smell disappear.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

As usual I dropped my Edge off at the Ford dealership and they said that they deodorized it but I have to tell you that the smell is still there just like before. Quite don't know why it takes several attempts to get things fixed with Ford only to discover that it needs to be addressed again. Maybe they figured I would go away but that certainly won't happen as I want this fixed.

On another issue they just addressed my Sync issues with Ford now telling me that there is a remote microphone for it and this is after 3 painful years of having to yell the commands... Would I get this aggravation with Lexus, BMW, Infinity or Mercedes? i don't think so...

• 2 years later...

Hi I have a 2008 Edge that I have had a smell from the heater on ocassions and just recently I had the smell for ~30 seconds as I was driving down the interstate. Had it to the dealer and of course they did not smell anything. Has your problem been fixed? I also told them that it takes ~5 minutes longer to get heat out of my floor vents than out of the dash vents. First they replaced the thermostat which did not solve the problem, than the factory engineers set them a flush to run through the cooling system. Results are still the same. They told me they had a 2007 in for service and it also takes longer to get heat out of the floor vents. Their fix to me was that is the way it's designed. Anyone have any comments on this issue?

Thanks