Replacement Filter: RF-1042

Street Legal In All States: No

TUV Approved (Europe): No

Weight: 11.7 lb (5.3 kg)

Product Box Length: 18.25 in (464 mm)

Product Box Width: 18.25 in (464 mm)

Product Box Height: 12.5 in (318 mm)

Edited by Picturepro

Here is my take on the whole air intake thing. Years ago I believe that air intakes actually used to do something on select vehicles, and by years ago I am talking about 1998 and older. Nowadays with the mfgs all trying to provide the most hp for the buck it only stands to reason that if they could squeak out another 10 hp for almost nothing that they would do it. I am lucky enough to work at a shop where i have access to a dyno and have actually tested different intakes on different vehicles adn none of them have realistically made any noticeable power increases and the ones that did show an improvement it was't realized until the upper rpms and realistically speaking who drives their vehicles in the upper rpm range most of the time...no one. I think people who have put intakes on and said "oh yeah it makes a big difference" are relating the sound of the intake sucking air with more power...noise ain't power. Now if the engine is modified, btw the exhaust is not an engine modification, then sure an air intake can provide substantial benefits but other than that all you are doing is making your wallet lighter...JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my take on the whole air intake thing. Years ago I believe that air intakes actually used to do something on select vehicles, and by years ago I am talking about 1998 and older. Nowadays with the mfgs all trying to provide the most hp for the buck it only stands to reason that if they could squeak out another 10 hp for almost nothing that they would do it. I am lucky enough to work at a shop where i have access to a dyno and have actually tested different intakes on different vehicles adn none of them have realistically made any noticeable power increases and the ones that did show an improvement it was't realized until the upper rpms and realistically speaking who drives their vehicles in the upper rpm range most of the time...no one. I think people who have put intakes on and said "oh yeah it makes a big difference" are relating the sound of the intake sucking air with more power...noise ain't power. Now if the engine is modified, btw the exhaust is not an engine modification, then sure an air intake can provide substantial benefits but other than that all you are doing is making your wallet lighter...JMHO

Some of these aftermarket intake/filter combos do indeed make more power but not all of that power occurs only at upper rpms. You will notice increased hp all of the way thru the rpm range but since the peak hp increase is at top rpm that's the figure they advertise. That being said, the manafacturers won't ever turn to these styles of intakes/filters for a few extra horses due to the extra noise generated by them (which some folks think sounds cool)

If you follow the plastic air intake from the airbox to the throttle body on almost any new car you will find baffling, reduction tubes etc that are in place solely for the purpose of quietening the intake of air. Replace these parts and you'll surely see a measurable difference in hp.

Some of these aftermarket intake/filter combos do indeed make more power but not all of that power occurs only at upper rpms. You will notice increased hp all of the way thru the rpm range but since the peak hp increase is at top rpm that's the figure they advertise. That being said, the manafacturers won't ever turn to these styles of intakes/filters for a few extra horses due to the extra noise generated by them (which some folks think sounds cool)

If you follow the plastic air intake from the airbox to the throttle body on almost any new car you will find baffling, reduction tubes etc that are in place solely for the purpose of quietening the intake of air. Replace these parts and you'll surely see a measurable difference in hp.

Regardless of what the dyno test says---- Figure the overall cost of the K&N set up and what it costs for 3 OE air filters bought at the discount parts store or Wallyworld, Those 3 filters will take you to 120,000 miles figuring in that the original will go 30,000 and replacements at 30,000--- It's a losing proposition to buy the K&N and put up with noise without any other benefit!

Regardless of what the dyno test says---- Figure the overall cost of the K&N set up and what it costs for 3 OE air filters bought at the discount parts store or Wallyworld, Those 3 filters will take you to 120,000 miles figuring in that the original will go 30,000 and replacements at 30,000--- It's a losing proposition to buy the K&N and put up with noise without any other benefit!

While an 11.2 Horsepower gain isn't earth shattering, it's also not what you'd call "without any other benefit"

Will I spend $299 on an aftermarket intake/filter setup for 11.2hp, LOL of course not.

Living in Texas would I ever dream of letting an airfilter go 30,000 miles between changes, an even bigger LOL of course not.

Bottom line, folks who bolt on aftermarket mods on their cars don't feel they have to justify the costs. It's a feel good purchase.

• Like 1

While an 11.2 Horsepower gain isn't earth shattering, it's also not what you'd call "without any other benefit"

Will I spend $299 on an aftermarket intake/filter setup for 11.2hp, LOL of course not.

Living in Texas would I ever dream of letting an airfilter go 30,000 miles between changes, an even bigger LOL of course not.

Bottom line, folks who bolt on aftermarket mods on their cars don't feel they have to justify the costs. It's a feel good purchase.

I used to feel that adding crap to a car was a good purchase till it hit me about the cost vs. benefit factor. I've added a lot of stuff to my '08 Edge, but all of it is useful to me almost every day.

Also, living in Texas could be anything from arid to super wet--- I live in the Houston area and have no problem running 30K on an ait filter! If I lived in Lubbock or anywhere West of Ft Worth, 30 K on a filter might be a stretch----

The new CAI (Cold Air Intake) do produce more HP than the Ford system does!

So why doesnt Ford go this route? Well Ford wants the quiet sounding engine, best overall MPG, and ease of assembly line installation.

Most CAI's produce good overall HP gains but there is a price..... lower MPG when you heavy on the gas. Also CAI's use more fuel cause the colder the air intake the more fuel it uses. CAI's are louder cause they dont have the stock air baffles/muffler, Ford has these just like any other car MFG.... Can you imagine being 80 buying a Cadillac with a loud engine?

It is not all about the air filter why people buy these, it is about performance and looks.

The new CAI (Cold Air Intake) do produce more HP than the Ford system does!

So why doesnt Ford go this route? Well Ford wants the quiet sounding engine, best overall MPG, and ease of assembly line installation.

Most CAI's produce good overall HP gains but there is a price..... lower MPG when you heavy on the gas. Also CAI's use more fuel cause the colder the air intake the more fuel it uses. CAI's are louder cause they dont have the stock air baffles/muffler, Ford has these just like any other car MFG.... Can you imagine being 80 buying a Cadillac with a loud engine?

It is not all about the air filter why people buy these, it is about performance and looks.

LOL @ "lower MPG when you heavy on the gas" lower mpg due to a heavy foot hasn't anything to do with a CAI dude. And CAI's don't use more fuel due to colder air either.

It is a fact vehicles that breathe cold air use more fuel.

I loose approx 3MPG when the cold weather hits Wisconsin, and no I dont let my vehicle idle and warm up till the snow melts off.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

Here you may want to discuss with these guys at F150online and also tell them that cold air doesn't effect MPG either. They are discussing this topic right now.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/434082-cold-air-temp-winter-mpg-drop.html

Yes it is true about all cars, however it is worse with a CAI.

And I am no kid, I may be just as old or older than you.

You have no way of measuring lost mpg due to a heavy foot in a car with stock intake vs aftermarket cai.

And I apologize for calling you a kid, your use of the word loose and your undying love for CAI's led me to believe that you were 16 or so.

I am 39.

I dont have Love for any CAI, I have just had them on my cars for Performance not MPG gain. The last CAI I had was on my 2001 C5, it was a http://vararam.com/b2.html Yep it did increase MPG with normal driving however I lost more MPG during heavy throttle with the CAI VS the stock Intake and when it got colder out the MPG on the Vararam went down even at regular throttle.

I traded the C5 in for my Edge, man that Vette was a POS.

I am not against any CAI, I just say you can loose MPG because of them even though they advertise a MPG gain.