2011 Edge Sport - ticking noise

Jonny Zero

We've had the vehicle for about 2 months and there is this ticking sound when you start it up. It doesn't matter what the temperature is outside. Once ya drive for a while, it disappears. Sounds a lot like lifter tick to me. This simply cannot be normal.

Also, the steering wheel has a vibration when driving. Almost like the wheels are off balance, but we just put on winters and it's still there!

This is our first Ford in 20 years. Anyone else have these problems? Any info and advice is appreciated!

Chris

Can't say I noticed much engine noise at all on ours. I actually thought it was MUCH quieter than our 07 which was a bit noisy. Granted, I'm used to my 300C SRT which has the "Hemi Tick" so my frame of reference is a little off but I went and listened after reading this post and really didn't hear anything like that. Worth a brief service visit to ease your mind.

As for the vibration, are you sure they properly balanced your wheels? It could be an alignment issue (MANY new cars are out of spec due to the trailer delivery process) but I'd lean toward a balance issue.

Mine does the same thing... I've noticed it and just figured it was the way this thing was supposed to sound. My benz made a similiar noise and even after a valve adjustment... so I shrugged it off.

We've had the vehicle for about 2 months and there is this ticking sound when you start it up. It doesn't matter what the temperature is outside. Once ya drive for a while, it disappears. Sounds a lot like lifter tick to me. This simply cannot be normal.

Also, the steering wheel has a vibration when driving. Almost like the wheels are off balance, but we just put on winters and it's still there!

This is our first Ford in 20 years. Anyone else have these problems? Any info and advice is appreciated!

Chris

I am in agreement. It never hurts to get her checked with respect to the ticking sound.

With regard to the vibration issue, I have had 2 sets of tires & rims installed and there is no difference. I'm not sure what to think, but I suppose it is time to bring her in.

Thx for the feedback

Edited by Jonny Zero

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the same ticking. Took it in to dealer last week and was told that tech confirmed the noise. Then ... was told that Ford is aware of issue and has instructed dealers not to try and fix until they research and develop a solution. They "think" the issue is not causing harm and would let me know when a TSB is issued by Ford.

When I asked how long I should wait to hear - I was told not to worry, they would be in touch.

I am 2K away from first oil change and plan to follow up then. Will report back when I know more.

I can hear a tick with the hood open, but I can barely hear when it is closed and certainly not from inside. Can you hear it from inside?

Vibrations - I was rock solid with the 22's, but I've got non hub centric winters on now, with no centering rings (a long long story) and I'm getting some vibration now, but not too bad, only at 120km/h or above.

Trying 2 different sets of tires/rims and still getting a vibration makes it less likely to be a balance issue, but still possible.

As you mentioned, I'd just bring it in and see what Ford has to say. They may just want to take your original rims and try re balancing them. If they are already good, then it leans more to an alignment issue.