AWOL Nav in my new 2011 Limited?????

All,

Great to find this forum and looking forward to getting my new 2011 Edge Limited sorted out. I really like this crossover, looks, ride, etc., however the MyTouch doesn't appear to be ready for prime time yet! One of the main issues is we can't get the Nav feature to work at all. This is a very important feature for me (use my Nav all the time) and I need to get it working. The Synch "turn by turn" Nav is less than desirable...kept having issues with the download (kept dropping the call) and very kludgy to use.

Anyway, I have a new 2011 Edge Limited with the Rapid Spec 301A package including Voice Activated Navigation system. I had my dealer trade for this particular Edge as it had the Nav System and theirs didn't. It has the SD slot and Ford SD card inserted, but here's the deal. The Nav quadrant in the center console is labeled "Information" NOT "Navigation" and when I try and access the SD Card it reads "No Device Detected"?? Yet, I was able to upload pictures using the SD card from my camara? I went to my LFD's mytouch expert and he even tried using the brand new (sitll in it's shrink wrap) SD card from another 2011 Edge they had just gotten in and the same - nothing was detected.

I have been reading up on the new MyTouch/Nav system on the net and they are saying that the Nav application is embedded in the car when it ships, then you have to insert the SD Card AND Ford has to activate it? Does this sound right and could it be my LFD just doesn't know this? This Edge came with the Nav option from the factory so you would expect that they would have activated it before shipping - but perhaps they missed it?

Any help :sos: would be appreciated as this issue is taking a lot of the new car ownership fun out of my new Edge. While the MyTouch system is a bit buggy, it works most of the time (the rear view camara has a mind of its own though - once drove two blocks (in Drive :shift: ) before the camara shut down and the center console came back on).

Edited by HotLap

Have them perform the software update per the TSB.

Waldo, based on what I've read about the new sw update...I'm thinking I may want to wait awhile as the "fix" seems to bring on additional issues. I don't think the sw is the issue, but more like Ford didn't activate the Nav at the factory. You may end up being right though and thanks!!

Waldo, based on what I've read about the new sw update...I'm thinking I may want to wait awhile as the "fix" seems to bring on additional issues. I don't think the sw is the issue, but more like Ford didn't activate the Nav at the factory. You may end up being right though and thanks!!

I'm sure the software is the issue. Just get the update done, you'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Great to find this forum and looking forward to getting my new 2011 Edge Limited sorted out. I really like this crossover, looks, ride, etc., however the MyTouch doesn't appear to be ready for prime time yet! One of the main issues is we can't get the Nav feature to work at all. This is a very important feature for me (use my Nav all the time) and I need to get it working. The Synch "turn by turn" Nav is less than desirable...kept having issues with the download (kept dropping the call) and very kludgy to use.

Anyway, I have a new 2011 Edge Limited with the Rapid Spec 301A package including Voice Activated Navigation system. I had my dealer trade for this particular Edge as it had the Nav System and theirs didn't. It has the SD slot and Ford SD card inserted, but here's the deal. The Nav quadrant in the center console is labeled "Information" NOT "Navigation" and when I try and access the SD Card it reads "No Device Detected"?? Yet, I was able to upload pictures using the SD card from my camara? I went to my LFD's mytouch expert and he even tried using the brand new (sitll in it's shrink wrap) SD card from another 2011 Edge they had just gotten in and the same - nothing was detected.

I have been reading up on the new MyTouch/Nav system on the net and they are saying that the Nav application is embedded in the car when it ships, then you have to insert the SD Card AND Ford has to activate it? Does this sound right and could it be my LFD just doesn't know this? This Edge came with the Nav option from the factory so you would expect that they would have activated it before shipping - but perhaps they missed it?

Any help :sos: would be appreciated as this issue is taking a lot of the new car ownership fun out of my new Edge. While the MyTouch system is a bit buggy, it works most of the time (the rear view camara has a mind of its own though - once drove two blocks (in Drive :shift: ) before the camara shut down and the center console came back on).

I also purchased 2011 Ford Edge Limited, my problem was the dealer could not find the SD card for the nav system when I picked up the car and they are having a hard time figuring out what the part number is so they can order it. MySync had the Navigation display in the upper right corner, but it said “No SD Card detected but I was able to select this area and able to view several pages. I was on SyncMyRide website and it said I needed this update BT4T-14D544-BD SYNC GEN 2, but could only be done at the dealer and it said fees may be charged. I contacted my dealer service and they said that it would $96.00 for the upgrade, after talking with the New Car sales Manager he waived the fee, so I said that’s do it, well once they completed it (5 Hrs later) MySync no longer has the Navigation display in the top right corner it now says “Information” and I no longer have access to the pages I had before. I called the dealer service and reported it and was told to bring it back in and they would look at. I believe that my dealer has no clue on what they are doing with these new Edges’s. If there anybody out there that can shed some light or recommendations on my situation I would greatly appreciate it.

• Like 1

I also purchased 2011 Ford Edge Limited, my problem was the dealer could not find the SD card for the nav system when I picked up the car and they are having a hard time figuring out what the part number is so they can order it. MySync had the Navigation display in the upper right corner, but it said “No SD Card detected but I was able to select this area and able to view several pages. I was on SyncMyRide website and it said I needed this update BT4T-14D544-BD SYNC GEN 2, but could only be done at the dealer and it said fees may be charged. I contacted my dealer service and they said that it would $96.00 for the upgrade, after talking with the New Car sales Manager he waived the fee, so I said that’s do it, well once they completed it (5 Hrs later) MySync no longer has the Navigation display in the top right corner it now says “Information” and I no longer have access to the pages I had before. I called the dealer service and reported it and was told to bring it back in and they would look at. I believe that my dealer has no clue on what they are doing with these new Edges’s. If there anybody out there that can shed some light or recommendations on my situation I would greatly appreciate it.

wdupree...sorry to say - now you are stuck in the same situation as I am - bought a new Edge with Nav and yet I have no Nav :lol: It not really funny but your experience further demonstrates my reluctance to go for the SW upgrade until Ford truly has had time to fix this MyTouch system. My dealer should be able to connect my Edge to thier computer and just tell me if the Nav feature is activated w/o doing the complete sw upgrade. I can live wtih a clock that doesnt keep time and a few other bugs, but I do want/need my nav system. Checked out one that was working and it is pretty awesome...I did stop by my dealer again today and they have 12 cars ahead of me (for that dept. - sounds like MyTouch issues are keeping them busy)...I didn't want to leave it over the weekend, so will go back next week.

Good luck and keep us informed (as will I) of what your issue turns out to be.

I had the same problem after my update, I had no Nav or info system (the little i by the Home symbol), I caught it while the tech was still there. He thought he was through but I had learned of several things to check before he finished and brought it to his attention. He had to contact Ford and they walked him through the procedure for activating the Nav system and the Sirius info system. Tell the dealer to have the tech call Ford support and they can tell him what to do. I saw the tech using a USB flash drive to load something on the system to get it to work. It can be done but the Tech will have to contact Ford Support for info on what to do, the tech told me that whoever he was talking to at Ford said he was having to help the techs at dealers several times a day with this problem, so if your dealer can get to the right person at Ford they should be able to tell them have to fix your problem. The SD card should have come with the vehicle. I had to ask the salesman where mine was when I picked up the Edge, he had to go fine it, took him about to 15 minutes to locate it.

Edited by curlysir

wdupree...sorry to say - now you are stuck in the same situation as I am - bought a new Edge with Nav and yet I have no Nav :lol: It not really funny but your experience further demonstrates my reluctance to go for the SW upgrade until Ford truly has had time to fix this MyTouch system. My dealer should be able to connect my Edge to thier computer and just tell me if the Nav feature is activated w/o doing the complete sw upgrade. I can live wtih a clock that doesnt keep time and a few other bugs, but I do want/need my nav system. Checked out one that was working and it is pretty awesome...I did stop by my dealer again today and they have 12 cars ahead of me (for that dept. - sounds like MyTouch issues are keeping them busy)...I didn't want to leave it over the weekend, so will go back next week.

Good luck and keep us informed (as will I) of what your issue turns out to be.

Thanks for the comments, I just happen to go by the dealer today and they said hey we have your SD card, we were getting ready to overnight it to you...Ok, well since they did the upgrade on MySync I have no Nav capability so I have to leave my car for who knows how long so they can fix what they broke. I will update as things change

I had the same problem after my update, I had no Nav or info system (the little i by the Home symbol), I caught it while the tech was still there. He thought he was through but I had learned of several things to check before he finished and brought it to his attention. He had to contact Ford and they walked him through the procedure for activating the Nav system and the Sirius info system. Tell the dealer to have the tech call Ford support and they can tell him what to do. I saw the tech using a USB flash drive to load something on the system to get it to work. It can be done but the Tech will have to contact Ford Support for info on what to do, the tech told me that whoever he was talking to at Ford said he was having to help the techs at dealers several times a day with this problem, so if your dealer can get to the right person at Ford they should be able to tell them have to fix your problem. The SD card should have come with the vehicle. I had to ask the salesman where mine was when I picked up the Edge, he had to go fine it, took him about to 15 minutes to locate it.

Thanks for the comments, I just happen to go by the dealer today and they said hey we have your SD card, we were getting ready to overnight it to you...Ok, well since they did the upgrade on MySync I have no Nav capability so I have to leave my car for who knows how long so they can fix what they broke. And thanks for the info on having the Tech call Ford, when I take my car in I will pass it on hopefully they will take care of it soon. I will update as things change

NAV update. Took 4 hours and we've got our NAV !!! One minor issue, after getting home and trying to sync my phone, the "system" locked up. After turning the car off and back on, had a blank screen for about 3 minutes and I was freaking out, finally there was a message on the screen that say System update in progress, Sync/Microsoft. After about 2-3 minutes, we were back in action. Whew!

Thanks for the comments, I just happen to go by the dealer today and they said hey we have your SD card, we were getting ready to overnight it to you...Ok, well since they did the upgrade on MySync I have no Nav capability so I have to leave my car for who knows how long so they can fix what they broke. I will update as things change

Great news, I just picked up my Edge and all is working....Wow what a mess, hopefully I won't be back until I need service, thanks for all the comments!