Worried about back seats (car seats)

We just got a 2011 Edge and love it! Yesterday we put in two car seats - Britax, 5-point harness - and are concerned that we'll cause permanent damage to the seats. Are there any seat protectors that protect more than just the fabric of the seats? Any leads would be much appreciated. Thank you.

We use these seat protectors (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2689399) on our current car and will be using them on our new Edge as well when it arrives. Seems to work well for our current car but don't know how it'll fit on the new Edge.

There are many things you can put under the child seat to protect your vehicle seat. I was a child seat technician instructor for a few years so I know my way around car seats. Just make sure you secure the child seat tightly enough that you can't move it more than 1" side to side when completed. I used towels in my FX35 and although there was an indentation, it did come out after a while.

With our Flex, my wife cut a large piece of clear vinyl (not sure the thickness) to use with the Britax seats for our twins. I think she spent a few bucks at a Fabric store. They work great and other than the indentations (and the cheerios on the floor), you would never know there were car seats. On a related note, I haven't put seats in my 3 week old Edge yet but in a quick look, didn't notice the latches down on the seat (not the one for the head of the car seat) like in my old Taurus and our Flex. I hope I don't have to decipher the instructions on how to secure the seats.

With our Flex, my wife cut a large piece of clear vinyl (not sure the thickness) to use with the Britax seats for our twins. I think she spent a few bucks at a Fabric store. They work great and other than the indentations (and the cheerios on the floor), you would never know there were car seats. On a related note, I haven't put seats in my 3 week old Edge yet but in a quick look, didn't notice the latches down on the seat (not the one for the head of the car seat) like in my old Taurus and our Flex. I hope I don't have to decipher the instructions on how to secure the seats.

If you're referring to the UAS latches, don't use them. Install the seats with the car's seat belts. Pull them all the way out to activate the retractor and buckle it in then feed it in as tight as you can while you are kneeling on the child's seat with all your weight.

If you're referring to the UAS latches, don't use them. Install the seats with the car's seat belts. Pull them all the way out to activate the retractor and buckle it in then feed it in as tight as you can while you are kneeling on the child's seat with all your weight.

Thanks. I have had to do that with other car seats, but I will need to dig up the instructions for the ones I will use in the edge to see where the belt gets routed.

• 2 weeks later...

hey richy. just curious as to why you recommend the seat belts instead of the UAS? is it safer? Thanks.

hey richy. just curious as to why you recommend the seat belts instead of the UAS? is it safer? Thanks.

It's simple really. Both belts are made of the same type of material. The UAS belt is about 30% (quick off the top guesstimate) narrower than the car's seat belt. Wider belt=stronger. CR did some testing but it was flawed. Even though they ran the test using ridiculous speeds, the point is still that, given the choice, seat belts are the preferred installation method. I have never used the UAS belts for my own children if that tells you something. Both pass the standards but to exceed them, the seat belt is stronger.

It's simple really. Both belts are made of the same type of material. The UAS belt is about 30% (quick off the top guesstimate) narrower than the car's seat belt. Wider belt=stronger. CR did some testing but it was flawed. Even though they ran the test using ridiculous speeds, the point is still that, given the choice, seat belts are the preferred installation method. I have never used the UAS belts for my own children if that tells you something. Both pass the standards but to exceed them, the seat belt is stronger.

Makes sense. Thanks! Especially since I have a plump kid :)