Scratched rims

benp226

So I have a new 2011 Edge Sport. While making a turn, I accidentally got to close to a corner and the curb put a couple small scuff marks on one of my 22" rims. It is where the rim meets the tire. Is there a good way to buff out the scratch or make it shine again?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

So I have a new 2011 Edge Sport. While making a turn, I accidentally got to close to a corner and the curb put a couple small scuff marks on one of my 22" rims. It is where the rim meets the tire. Is there a good way to buff out the scratch or make it shine again?

Thanks!

I got the same problem and am looking for a place to fix it,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Can you guys post pics of the damage? If the metal is gouged, you're buggered. If the black paint is scratched, you can either buff it out or fill it with touch up if need be. It will be easier to diagnose with pics.

Im in Ontario and have found a business in Ottawa that claims they can fix them to 90-95% like new condition. I pick up my rim next week and will post before and after pics. My rim is gouged but the paint is not sctatched.

• 2 weeks later...

If you put a good gouge in the rim better check your tire above it because that also may be damaged .. The tire on the 22 rims hangs over the rim so it can get damaged too.. I just bought a new Sport and luckily for me I noticed both rims on the driver side had curb rash on them and both tires were also damaged.. The dealer is getting me two new rims and tires.

Jerry in Minnesota.

• 2 weeks later...

I messed up one the other day much worse than my other one. So I took it to Wheels America. They said they refinish the entire rim. They said the only thing they are concerned about is the black and how the edges kind of fade into the silver. The guy at the desk said he didn't know how they did that, and weren't sure if they'd be able to duplicate. So kind of concerned, but at least the scratches/gouges should be gone and it's gotta look better with solid lines. Probably won't even notice on the car unless really up close.

Also, wondering why they will refinish the whole wheel, I've never dealt with it before, never had a car that i cared about the wheels enough to get it repaired. But took them for the experts in the field that they are and that they'd do their best.

• 3 months later...

So has anyone actually damaged there 22'' polished aluminiums, had them repaired so that they look brand new. I scratched both my rear wheels in one day in a rather dark multistory carpark/parking lot where the curbs where ridiculously tight. I had them smoothed to the bear metal at a body shop, so that they're not that noticeable at first glace, but as has been pointed out- the color match is different. Plus - has anyone had the rim completely done bearing in mind the difficulty with the black inserts?

• 3 years later...

I have had one wheel fixed due to a car wreck where the wheel was scraped pretty bad. The body shop did a great job with the black inserts. Unfortunately, I rubbed the curb at Starbucks the other day so I have to get my front driver wheel repaired now. I found a company that comes to you and repairs the wheel. It's only about 50 bucks a wheel so I hope it's good work. I love these 22's, but the low profile tire can really be a headache!