2011 Ford Edge AWD

sleepy

I spent the day stranded up in Kennebunkport Maine with my sexy brand new 2011 Ford Edge AWD, loaded up with every gee whiz gadget known to man. With only 2000 miles on this beautiful black rental, I was ready to enjoy Ford's new technology.

Sadly it was totally unable to ascend a 40 foot hill with a 11% grade and about one inch of snow. The traction control turned off all power to the wheels after about 30 feet. A completely useless vehicle. There is no switch to turn off the traction control.

I spent the day stranded up in Kennebunkport Maine with my sexy brand new 2011 Ford Edge AWD, loaded up with every gee whiz gadget known to man. With only 2000 miles on this beautiful black rental, I was ready to enjoy Ford's new technology.

Sadly it was totally unable to ascend a 40 foot hill with a 11% grade and about one inch of snow. The traction control turned off all power to the wheels after about 30 feet. A completely useless vehicle. There is no switch to turn off the traction control.

A hard switch would be nice to turn off the traction control.

There is a setting in the left menu to turn it off though.

Wow that is very interesting because I have a 2011 AWD Limited and thought it did extremely well in the snow. My last two vehicles were a 2007 4x4 Nissan Armada and before that, a 2001 4x4 Nissan Xterra both of which had all terrain tires. My development has a very steep 1/4 mile grade that I figure is at least 15% and then it comes to our driveway which is even steeper up about 200ft to our house. As far as traction goes, the ford amazed me with how well it did in the snow. Now granted, clearance is not what I'm used to but 3-4 inches is no problem. Mine has the 20" rims if that makes a difference.

-TK

Page 249 of the owner's manual (3rd printing)

If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine

power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac with RSC

system may be beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This

will restore full engine power and will enhance momentum through the

obstacle.

To switch off the AdvanceTrac with RSC system, select traction

control off in the message center. Full features of the AdvanceTrac with

RSC system can be restored by selecting traction control on, or by

turning off and restarting the engine.

I don't pay much attention to a first time post that is a complaint.

The post does have merit though

A driver needs to know about the traction control options

I've been stranded in my Camry cuz there was no known way to turn off ATC. i later found the "easter egg" to turn ATC off. By then it was too late.

I long for the hard switch my Turbo PT Cruiser had.

Edited by wilsons66604

In my experience, the traction control seems to only become very noticeable if the vehicle starts to go sideways. I've had this happen several times when trying to "slide" around a snowy corner. Half way through the turn I'd lose all power, which is quite annoying when there is traffic coming at me. It's not like I was goofing around either. I was just turning and giving it a little gas so the AWD could pull it out straight, then bam, no power at all for a second or two. :banghead:

Other than that scenario, I have found the AWD and traction control to be outstanding so far. Although, I haven't ascended many steep hills yet.

In my experience, the traction control seems to only become very noticeable if the vehicle starts to go sideways. I've had this happen several times when trying to "slide" around a snowy corner. Half way through the turn I'd lose all power, which is quite annoying when there is traffic coming at me. It's not like I was goofing around either. I was just turning and giving it a little gas so the AWD could pull it out straight, then bam, no power at all for a second or two. :banghead:

Other than that scenario, I have found the AWD and traction control to be outstanding so far. Although, I haven't ascended many steep hills yet.

My thoughts exactly. I do like the ATC when i transition from snow to dry pavement. It keeps the tires from grabbing abruptly