Killer glare a deal breaker for me

jimc

I'm looking to replace my '99 Explorer so I test drove a new Edge yesterday. It was early afternoon and the sun was high in the sky. When I slid behind the wheel the glare from the polished metal trim that extends up on top of the center portion of the dash nearly blinded me. I was wearing high quality sun glasses, but even so the glare was intense. The metal trim acted just like a mirror in focusing the sun's rays.

I really liked the rest of the car--the looks, the comfortable seats, the roominess, the way it drives, etc. Unfortunately, the metal trim is just too much of a hazard for me. I suppose I could cover it over with duct tape, but that seems extreme on a 30K vehicle. Unless there are other--more elegant--solutions, I guess I'll pass on the Edge. (Or buy it and move to Seattle and not worry about the sun.) I'm hoping that Ford fixes this in the 2008 model. Any news of upcoming model changes?

Are you sure you sat in a recent production car? My shiny trims ends before it travels up onto the dash - then its a dull silver colour that wraps around the top.

I have charcoal interior and no glare issue whatsoever... Check out another dealership vehicle.

I find that odd...

Are you sure you sat in a recent production car? My shiny trims ends before it travels up onto the dash - then its a dull silver colour that wraps around the top.

I have charcoal interior and no glare issue whatsoever... Check out another dealership vehicle.

Hmmm... I'll have to check. I think they only had about 10 vehicles and about half were FWD (I want AWD). The one I was in definitely had shiny metal, not matt finish. The interior was black and there was no glare from the dash itself, just the metal. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I find.

Hmmm... I'll have to check. I think they only had about 10 vehicles and about half were FWD (I want AWD). The one I was in definitely had shiny metal, not matt finish. The interior was black and there was no glare from the dash itself, just the metal. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I find.

Check the production date and other vehicles. This was supposedly fixed very early in the manufacturing process.

Of course it's not that hard to fix if that's the only thing you don't like.

I may say, I drive an SEL w/ tan interior since January and now that the new car excitement is gone I must say that the glare does suck. I do not know why they didn't make the dash dark tan seeing they have two tone in the car. It's almost dangerous. I'm to the point that I'm going to take it to the dealership and tell them that it sucks and to contact Ford to find out if there is ANYTHING they can do about it. I mean, I need to keep this car for another 2-1/2 years and it will not be fun to be blinded on sunny days.

Cannot believe the test drivers didn't see this before it went to production.

Bill

I have owned my FWD SEL camel interior Edge since 12/30/06. I drove it in the rain and bought it. When the sun came out a few days later, I couldn't believe how bad the dash reflection was. I have written several letters and even spoken with customer relations. I even got a letter back from the Director, Automotive Safety at Ford, Mr. James P Vondale, 330 Town Center Dr, Ste 400, Dearborn, MI 48126. Basically Ford's position is that the reflection is all within safety standards. They are not willing to do anything about it. Ford does not see this as something that needs to be fixed. Customer Relations told me I was more than welcome to trade it. I wish!! I don't have that kind of money to lose after buying a brand new car. I owned my car less than a week with less than 500 miles on it when I first requested the issue be fixed or Ford buy back my car. Ford has done nothing. People are always asking me about the Edge when I am out getting gas or shopping. I tell them all about the reflection and even show them. Several people have told me they will cross the Edge off their list of future car purchases.

I feel this is a safety issue. If you have this problem, please write Mr. Vondale at the above listed address.

I have owned my FWD SEL camel interior Edge since 12/30/06. I drove it in the rain and bought it. When the sun came out a few days later, I couldn't believe how bad the dash reflection was. I have written several letters and even spoken with customer relations. I even got a letter back from the Director, Automotive Safety at Ford, Mr. James P Vondale, 330 Town Center Dr, Ste 400, Dearborn, MI 48126. Basically Ford's position is that the reflection is all within safety standards. They are not willing to do anything about it. Ford does not see this as something that needs to be fixed. Customer Relations told me I was more than welcome to trade it. I wish!! I don't have that kind of money to lose after buying a brand new car. I owned my car less than a week with less than 500 miles on it when I first requested the issue be fixed or Ford buy back my car. Ford has done nothing. People are always asking me about the Edge when I am out getting gas or shopping. I tell them all about the reflection and even show them. Several people have told me they will cross the Edge off their list of future car purchases.

I feel this is a safety issue. If you have this problem, please write Mr. Vondale at the above listed address.

How can it possibly be a safety issue? If you're that easily distracted there are always options to fix that type of problem.

Funny that Ford said they wouldn't do anything about it. I know that I bought the car. However, it was raining all three times I drove the damn thing. Sh*t, it was even raining when I picked it up. I took it back to get my automatic starter installed and my sales lady got them to wash my car again because it was raining the day I picked it up... Guess what? It rained again.

I've been told by three people that the reflection SUCKS and that if Ford doesn't have a solution or plan on fixing it in the near future (future models) and gives me the "oh well" attitude they told me to STOP PAYING and let them reprocess it. I personally love the car and wouldn't want my perfect credit to go to hell based on that factor. However, I cannot believe that the people that put thousands of miles on the preproduction models did not have any problems. I call "BULLSH*T".

Bill

Funny that Ford said they wouldn't do anything about it. I know that I bought the car. However, it was raining all three times I drove the damn thing. Sh*t, it was even raining when I picked it up. I took it back to get my automatic starter installed and my sales lady got them to wash my car again because it was raining the day I picked it up... Guess what? It rained again.

I've been told by three people that the reflection SUCKS and that if Ford doesn't have a solution or plan on fixing it in the near future (future models) and gives me the "oh well" attitude they told me to STOP PAYING and let them reprocess it. I personally love the car and wouldn't want my perfect credit to go to hell based on that factor. However, I cannot believe that the people that put thousands of miles on the preproduction models did not have any problems. I call "BULLSH*T".

Bill

They did have problems with pre-production models and they did make changes. Apparently the changes didn't go far enough to satisfy you. It would be nice if they did something about it (whatever that might be) but I don't see where they're obligated.

This is a safety issue when you can't see what is in front of the car. I have a picture of my Dad standing in front of my car as I am pulling into the garage and you can't see him from the chest down due to the reflection. I don't mean you have to look through the reflection to see him, I mean you can't see him at all from the chest down. I consider that a SERIOUS safety issue due to the fact that if a child were in front of the car, I wouldn't see them when the sun is shining.

Stupid comment about being easily distracted. I didn't spend $30,000 on a car to have to look through a reflection in order to drive and hoping the reflection isn't blocking something from my view. It's enough to give you headache after awhile. Hopefuly Ford will realize what a huge problem this is!

I just want you to know.. that my Edge DOES NOT have this problem...

My Edge was produced in April 2007 - so... unfortunately.. yours must be an early model. My side vents are matte silver, my center dash trim is matte aluminum; the top trays are dark charcoal to match the dash with a matte silver trim and the black tray inside.

I drive in the sun in the AM.... and its at my back in the evening

I drove home tonight paying particular attention to the glare - yes you can see the reflection but in no way does it distract me or my line of vision.

I suggest you visit your dealer and have a pleasant discussion about possible solutions - its all in your approach...

Good Luck

One really nice solution is from dashtopper.com They make a dashboard cover in a beautiful suede like material. Another thought is try the Lincoln MKX....we bought the Lincoln with the light interior and there is no reflection on the dash.

Any thoughts as to why the problem doesn't show up in the Lincoln? The on-line photos I viewed of the MKX's interior looked pretty similar to the Edge. But, hey, if it works I'm off to my Lincoln dealer!

I'm looking to replace my '99 Explorer so I test drove a new Edge yesterday. It was early afternoon and the sun was high in the sky. When I slid behind the wheel the glare from the polished metal trim that extends up on top of the center portion of the dash nearly blinded me. I was wearing high quality sun glasses, but even so the glare was intense. The metal trim acted just like a mirror in focusing the sun's rays.

I really liked the rest of the car--the looks, the comfortable seats, the roominess, the way it drives, etc. Unfortunately, the metal trim is just too much of a hazard for me. I suppose I could cover it over with duct tape, but that seems extreme on a 30K vehicle. Unless there are other--more elegant--solutions, I guess I'll pass on the Edge. (Or buy it and move to Seattle and not worry about the sun.) I'm hoping that Ford fixes this in the 2008 model. Any news of upcoming model changes?

I just want you to know.. that my Edge DOES NOT have this problem...

My Edge was produced in April 2007 - so... unfortunately.. yours must be an early model. My side vents are matte silver, my center dash trim is matte aluminum; the top trays are dark charcoal to match the dash with a matte silver trim and the black tray inside.

I drive in the sun in the AM.... and its at my back in the evening

I drove home tonight paying particular attention to the glare - yes you can see the reflection but in no way does it distract me or my line of vision.

I suggest you visit your dealer and have a pleasant discussion about possible solutions - its all in your approach...

Good Luck

Is your interior "TAN"? My lower 1/2 of the dash is dark brown then the actual dash is light tan. The vents near the doors are chrome and the vents in the center are satin silver. The trim around my stereo is shinny silver but the upper trim around the black rubber tray on the dash is satin silver.

Maybe I do have the "Updated Dash". I'll actually go to Ford tomorrow or Wednesday to look in a newer build. Because if something is different I will call Ford Customer service to see if they can do anything to update my dash to prevent the reflection.

I wouldn't say it's horrible. But there has been times in the last week or two where I'm like "WHAT THE HELL... I CAN'T SEE".

For a couple of you... What's your deal? Maybe you work for Ford? I have family that works for Ford and am pretty good friends with the people who own my dealership and I want Ford to succeed. I've been buying Fords since 1995 and I never have problem calling them on their mistakes even if it pisses off a family member. I remember my 2007 Ford Explorer Sport has a terrible vibration when accelerating which started at the first 1000 miles. They ended up replacing 3 out of 6 of the spark plugs which corrected the problem. About 500 miles later it started up again... they replaced the other "4" spark plugs... I called them and asked them when did ford start manufacturing 7 cylinders and wanted to know WHY the spark plugs needed replacing and unless I had an Answer I would be driving their loaner car. About 30 minutes later a Ford Rep called me and gave me a very good answer down to the number of engines that that had this same problem.

I've stuck my neck out more this year than ever before promoting how much I love my edge. I even got a long term GM owner (for 20+ years) to look at the Edge (she wanted the MKX but it was out of her budget) and she bought a SEL PLUS. Unfortunately, she isn't that happy with her edge. She loves how it drives and rides but she has a very touchy back and hates the seats. Too bad because I think these are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in (in the cars that I have owned).

Just don't get too defensive. Ford has an issue that they might have corrected. However, they didn't correct it to everyones satiation yet.

Bill

Charcoal interior - so the dash is practically black -

Pics in the gallery if you want to see them

I know the side vents are matte, but my centre vents are still chrome.

The upper semi circle is an outer ring of charcoal, inner ring of matte silver, and then the tray.

PS - I added a couple of pics of the interior.. you can see the dash colours clearly...

Hope it helps...

Edited by Edgy Girl

I have a dash kit on order (should be hear in the next day or so). It will change the silvery parts to an American Walnut color.

Folks, I don't think it is the "metal" trim that is the issue. I have the light stone interior and there is a reflection of the entire top of the dash. I do not find it distracting or opaque in any way, and if you are protecting your eyes properly during the day a pair of polarized sunglasses make it go away. It is a matter that could have been addressed by a darker top on the dash with the lt. stone or camel interiors. Ford chose not to do it, perhaps for "thermal gain reasons", or they didn't identify it as a problem. In either case, it is what the individual sees as a problem and to what degree, when all is said and done.

A good custom shop can remove the top section of the dash and color it the dark grey using vinyl paint, if a person desires a fix.

Folks, I don't think it is the "metal" trim that is the issue. I have the light stone interior and there is a reflection of the entire top of the dash. I do not find it distracting or opaque in any way, and if you are protecting your eyes properly during the day a pair of polarized sunglasses make it go away. It is a matter that could have been addressed by a darker top on the dash with the lt. stone or camel interiors. Ford chose not to do it, perhaps for "thermal gain reasons", or they didn't identify it as a problem. In either case, it is what the individual sees as a problem and to what degree, when all is said and done.

A good custom shop can remove the top section of the dash and color it the dark grey using vinyl paint, if a person desires a fix.

My Edge has the charcoal interior and all the "metal" trim is a brushed aluminum color and does not reflect. Of curse, my car was made early in May 07, so that might be the answer.

I did notice that several on the dealer lot had the shiny chrome on the dash and I avoided them. It just might be a matter of looking around.

I have posted 3 pictures in the gallery so everyone can see what I look though every sunny day when I drive.

I purchased my Edge 12/30/06. I contacted the dealership with less than 500 miles on it less than a week after purchasing it requesting they fix the problem. I emailed pictures to the dealership. I was told there was nothing they could do. From there, I wrote Ford requesting the problem be fixed. Pictures were included in that correspondence. I was told again that nothing would be done as there was no "problem" to fix. If I have a defective vehicle because I purchased mine early, then why won't Ford admit this and take care of the problem?

I just think Ford needs to make the dash ALL Dark Brown or Dark Stone depending on your interior colors. Making the dash a little more "SATIN" would help as well.

I personally think it's a "slight" safety issue and if they have corrected the glare on the newer builds then they have "admitted" it was a problem. So, if they have "admitted" it is a problem then they should offer up the fix on the early builds.

It's just a slight annoyance to me and something I will just ignore. However, I sure hope Ford acknowledges this and fixes it on the future builds.

Bill

Where did you get the dash kit? That sounds like a great solution.

Autoanything.com

I will be mounting it tomorrow.......I'll post pictures. While it will not stop all the glare it will help and it will get rid of the weird (IMHO) futuristic silver/aluminum edging around the main console.

Edited by Houndkeeper