Adding factory subwoofer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to add a factory subwoofer to my 07 SEL. I was wondering if I have to buy a new quarter panel trim or if anyone has modded there to accept the sub box?

If I have to buy a new panel is there anything different I only have fold down seats?

I just did mine and removed the cuby storage and used the same panel with a colour match grill for the opening the panels cost around $450.00

The factory sub has decent sound for the money. A much better, but also more expensive option, is the JL Audio Stealthbox. They are about $600, and you'll need a decent amp for it as well, but the sound is much tighter and punchier than the factory sub. If a reputable stereo shop built a custom fiberglass enclosure like this one, it would be at least $200 more with a quality 10" sub. I have had dozens or so different custom subwoofer systems over the past 25 years, and the bass response from the Stealthbox in my Edge is among the best I've ever had. Any of my vehicles that have sounded better have been triple the cost. That paired with some quality component speakers up front, decent co-ax rear door speakers; and your system will sound much better than any of the Ford "premium" sound systems.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_pages.php?page_id=169

Edited by tahoebum

• 3 months later...

Have you finished this yet? Looking for direction on the factory sub, did you just buy it through a dealer and then make the enclosure yourself, etc?

Bought a 2010 a few months back and want to find a good sub solution, easiest in my mind is a powered tube but have thought about tinkering with other options...

Factory Sub is a 9" Subwoofer (kind of an oddball size), Just got mine opened up, testing each voice-coil (it is dual voice coil) I get 2.7ohms measured for each individual.

I did order an 8" Polk Audio to replace the stock, but it appears it's just a hair too small to fit without an adapter ring, so I may be going up to a 10 inch and making it work =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm a new member here. I have an 08 MKX I just picked up a month or so ago. I bought a factory sub box off of ebay for not much money. Then I picked up a 8 inch JL sub from Crutchfield pretty cheap as well (open box). I've got to cut a piece of plywood to make an 8 to 9 adapter ring and I'll be ready to go. I haven't figured out where to mount the amp yet though. Haven't look much, but wondering if anyone had a recommendation. I want to be as descrete as possible so I'm not advertising anything. But I don't want to put it anywhere where it won't get proper air-flow and overheat on me. I don't plan to crank it too hard, I'm too old to try to rattle the neighbors windows. I just want to fill in a big blank space in the sound.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

Sam

• 5 months later...

I'm going to add a factory subwoofer to my 07 SEL. I was wondering if I have to buy a new quarter panel trim or if anyone has modded there to accept the sub box?

If I have to buy a new panel is there anything different I only have fold down seats?

Behind the panel should be the same.

are you going to use the OEM subwoofer amp?

You should not have any problems with adding a grill to the panel as long as it does not stickout.

proper placement is the main thing..

• 2 weeks later...

Crutchfield.com carries a box that fits in the factory opening. You can also shop for components that are vehicle specific and the website even tells you which components will or won't fit. Great website, great tech support. No, i don't work for them. I have found them to be very useful in the past.

Crutchfield.com carries a box that fits in the factory opening. You can also shop for components that are vehicle specific and the website even tells you which components will or won't fit. Great website, great tech support. No, i don't work for them. I have found them to be very useful in the past.

You guys must be nuts to want to add a factory sub woofer. Like someone mentioned above get the JL Stealthbox, you already spent $40k plus what's another $1K with a good amp, give your heads a shake guys. I myself have the Jl Stealth box installed & it sounds amazing, sounds almost as good as my 2 10" inch alpine R's.If your gonna mention money being a factor then wait till' you have it.

• 1 year later...

The factory sub has decent sound for the money. A much better, but also more expensive option, is the JL Audio Stealthbox. They are about $600, and you'll need a decent amp for it as well, but the sound is much tighter and punchier than the factory sub. If a reputable stereo shop built a custom fiberglass enclosure like this one, it would be at least $200 more with a quality 10" sub. I have had dozens or so different custom subwoofer systems over the past 25 years, and the bass response from the Stealthbox in my Edge is among the best I've ever had. Any of my vehicles that have sounded better have been triple the cost. That paired with some quality component speakers up front, decent co-ax rear door speakers; and your system will sound much better than any of the Ford "premium" sound systems.

Can you tell me what amp did you use? I have a edge 2007 and the sub is busted? And will I have to run power from the front to the amp?

I find the stock subwoofer in my new Limited quite adequate and natural sounding and I wonder about the needs of those who find it inadequate. This coming from an old Rock and Roll drummer and bass player and audiophile of over 45 years. In my house I used a bi-amped Altec A5 VOT system (with tubes on the compression drivers of course) augmented below 100 hz with a pair of JBL Pro 4648 motion picture theater bassbins, so it's not like I listen to little girl with guitar music. I listen to Rock and Roll, Soul, Show Tunes, movie scores (I'm very keen on Rosza, Korngold, Tiomkin and Herrman) and Classical, usually lossless files of Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo recordings, often of Fritz Reiner and the CSO.

Of course audio is a subjective hobby but you need to understand a person's needs and tastes when evaluating their opinions and advice.