Automatic ON of head lights takes too long....

Hi! On a Ford Edge 2011 Limited, the light are on AUTO, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to go ON when I step into the garage, is that normal?? I think is way too much,it should be at much a few seconds, wht if you are driving in you step into a dark tunnel? it should be almost instantaneous...

Any ideas?

Thanks

I think it might be the light from your garage door opener keeping the lights from triggering. When I drive into a tunnel, they do come on within 2 seconds.

Sorry, you mean the light inside of the garage?? It is pretty dark, I can hardly see anything... anyway I will have the dealer checking into it, but just want to know what is other people experience about it.

Thanks!!

What do you mean "step in the garage"?

Sorry.. bad English.... when you go into the garage, after you opened the door, press the gas, and you are finally inside, the company what I work for have a big garage, I have to drive inside probably like 80 yards to get to my parking space, and is pretty dark, my Mazda tun on the light in a fraction of a second, but the Ford takes a few minutes... yes... minutes..... is that how is supposed to be?

Sorry.. bad English.... when you go into the garage, after you opened the door, press the gas, and you are finally inside, the company what I work for have a big garage, I have to drive inside probably like 80 yards to get to my parking space, and is pretty dark, my Mazda tun on the light in a fraction of a second, but the Ford takes a few minutes... yes... minutes..... is that how is supposed to be?

No, it's not normal if the garage is truly dark enough to require headlamps. If the light level is borderline then it's probably just a difference in sensitivity between the Ford and the Mazda.

Does it turn on normally outside when it gets dark? If not then the light sensor might be faulty.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends

I have the same problem with my edge. The ligths takeno less than a minute to activate; for example if I get in a tunnel the first 500 meters the ligths will be off. I have compared with a friend who own a Nissan pathFinther and his car takes only 1 or 2 seconds in activate the lights. I don´t know if somebody knows if the activation time could be managed or may be some trick. Thank You.

Dear Friends

I have the same problem with my edge. The ligths takeno less than a minute to activate; for example if I get in a tunnel the first 500 meters the ligths will be off. I have compared with a friend who own a Nissan pathFinther and his car takes only 1 or 2 seconds in activate the lights. I don´t know if somebody knows if the activation time could be managed or may be some trick. Thank You.

No idea, but that is dangerous, you should talk with your dealer about it. They tell me that is normal, but I'm pretty much sure if I go to the dealer and I told him that the car grew a tail and big ears, he would tell me is normal too.....

• 1 month later...

All my Fords with the "Auto" light function have been slow to activate. This was consistent between my 2005 F-150 Lariat,my 2009 F-150 Platinum and now my 2011 edge Limited. The trick I use is to take a small piece of electricians black tape and put it on the top of the sensor that sits in the middle of the dash - right near the base of the windshield. You dont want to cover the entire sensor - or your lighits will constantly be on (in the auto mode). Experiment with the size and it will dictate how much earlier the light activate. Drives me nuts that on overcast, rainy days, the lights won't come on at all in the auto mode. My BMW's always come on after just a couple of seconds...just the way Ford programs thier Auto Light function I guess.

Edited by HotLap

Thanks! I'll give it a try, I guess that will change the amount of darkness needed, but not the time once reached that level. I entered a tunnel a few days ago, the light turned on about 500 yards into the tunnel. That is dangerous. My Mazda turn on the light even if I drive under the shade of a tree... Is not like we are receiving a bill at the end of the month and we want to save money on electricity right???