What phones work?

JusDaFax

:shift: We have all posted various incompatibility problems with various phones.

So, I want to know is, what phone do I need to buy that works with all the great features of MyFord Touch?

Specifically:

- No pairing problems

- Streams media (like Pandora) to the stereo

- No phonebook problems

- Uploads contact photos from the phonebook

- Works with the messaging systems

etc.

I have discussed (chat) this with a Sync rep and they stated they are working on a list of such phones, but

that list isn't available yet. They couldn't even give me an example of one phone they were sure worked.

I have a Droid X (2.2 OS). It pairs great, voice commands work great and it streams media very well.

However, I can't get the messaging system to work and I can't upload photos from my contacts.

If anyone out there has a phone that does it all, I need to know. Because, I'm going to go buy it.

:shift: We have all posted various incompatibility problems with various phones.

So, I want to know is, what phone do I need to buy that works with all the great features of MyFord Touch?

Specifically:

- No pairing problems

- Streams media (like Pandora) to the stereo

- No phonebook problems

- Uploads contact photos from the phonebook

- Works with the messaging systems

etc.

I have discussed (chat) this with a Sync rep and they stated they are working on a list of such phones, but

that list isn't available yet. They couldn't even give me an example of one phone they were sure worked.

I have a Droid X (2.2 OS). It pairs great, voice commands work great and it streams media very well.

However, I can't get the messaging system to work and I can't upload photos from my contacts.

If anyone out there has a phone that does it all, I need to know. Because, I'm going to go buy it.

You are asking for a lot!

I tried a Windows Phone 7 Samsung Focus. It supported Audible SMS (that is really cool!) and contact photos. It would stream media but there was no Pandora app for Windows Phone 7. It had problems with the BT pairing from time to time. I took the phone back because Windows Phone 7 operating system SUCKS.

I wonder if the soon to be released iOS 4.3 will have any new BT protocols. Namely MAP to support Audible SMS

Stay away from the Samsung Saga (older Win Mobile phone). All functions work except actually calling or receiving calls. That sounds like a call taken inside a running blender full of metal. On the bright side, all my contacts and images transferred without a hitch and the phone is always seen. :banghead:

My iPhone 4 behaves correctly with the vehicle and does everything that you're asking perfectly without a glitch. My only complain is that at times Sync says BT is connected when the phone says its not, it ends up finding the phone and sorting itself out though.

btw the iPhone is jailbroken and not upgraded to iOS 4.2 as yet.

EDIT: I haven't tried messaging via Sync

Edited by stam82

My iPhone 4 behaves correctly with the vehicle and does everything that you're asking perfectly without a glitch. My only complain is that at times Sync says BT is connected when the phone says its not, it ends up finding the phone and sorting itself out though.

btw the iPhone is jailbroken and not upgraded to iOS 4.2 as yet.

EDIT: I haven't tried messaging via Sync

Really?

Your iPhone does everything perfectly without a glitch? (except for when it doesn't connect to BT ) huh?

Does it upload your contact photos and allow for audible SMS?

That is amazing but I don't believe it. :shades:

I use Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) with unofficial 2.2 (FroYo) It seems to be working only for basic functions. I was able to upload my address book, it seems to be making and receiving calls just fine. It does however disconnect itself from MFT once in while, so i have to reconnect it every time. BT streaming doesn't work, one time i tried it it crashed MFT, i haven't tried it since. I will be getting HTC inspire or Motorola Atrix in a few weeks with official FroYo (possibly will update it to 2.3 Ginger Bread) and hopefully it will be more stable and add some additional functionally.

Edited by drevv

I also have an Android 2.2 (Froyo) phone (HTC Desize Z). It always connected fine to BT as a phone only. After the Gen 2 Sync update, it was also able to connect as a BT audio streaming device which was great fun - while it lasted. It wasn't a real consistent connection but after a few reconnects and/or ignition cycles, it did indeed work.

Then a few days ago I lost all phone connectivity, no media streaming, no phone connection. I know from experience there's no chance of it working again until I pull the fuse. Just haven't got around to that yet, want to take some pictures of my screwed up menu screens first.

BTW, when I had a Blackberry (Bold) 9700, it did display contact photos just fine. Perhaps, up to a point, the older the phone the more compatible it is.

I also have an Android 2.2 (Froyo) phone (HTC Desize Z). It always connected fine to BT as a phone only. After the Gen 2 Sync update, it was also able to connect as a BT audio streaming device which was great fun - while it lasted. It wasn't a real consistent connection but after a few reconnects and/or ignition cycles, it did indeed work.

Then a few days ago I lost all phone connectivity, no media streaming, no phone connection. I know from experience there's no chance of it working again until I pull the fuse. Just haven't got around to that yet, want to take some pictures of my screwed up menu screens first.

BTW, when I had a Blackberry (Bold) 9700, it did display contact photos just fine. Perhaps, up to a point, the older the phone the more compatible it is.

Try pulling the battery and resetting the phone first, just for grins.

Edited by akirby

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) w/2.2 (FroYo), seems to work much better with MFT than did my Galaxy S(Captivate). Was able to upload my address book, it even grabbed Facebook pictures and added them to each contacts, i didn't expect that so it was a nice surprise. Works great for calls, so far doesn't seem to disconnect like my Galaxy S did constantly. Unfortunately SMS feature still isn't supported, oh well. I also tried BT stream, However since i was never able to get it to work with my old phone, i'm still not sure if i'm doing it right. I clicked on BT stream in MFT, and than launched music on my phone, but it's only playing it on the phone and not through the car speakers. has anyone been able to successfully get this feature to work on any android device with 2.2(FroYo)? What am I missing?

Just got a new HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) w/2.2 (FroYo), seems to work much better with MFT than did my Galaxy S(Captivate). Was able to upload my address book, it even grabbed Facebook pictures and added them to each contacts, i didn't expect that so it was a nice surprise. Works great for calls, so far doesn't seem to disconnect like my Galaxy S did constantly. Unfortunately SMS feature still isn't supported, oh well. I also tried BT stream, However since i was never able to get it to work with my old phone, i'm still not sure if i'm doing it right. I clicked on BT stream in MFT, and than launched music on my phone, but it's only playing it on the phone and not through the car speakers. has anyone been able to successfully get this feature to work on any android device with 2.2(FroYo)? What am I missing?

You have to figure out how to tell the phone to use the bluetooth output for audio instead of the built-in speakers.

You have to figure out how to tell the phone to use the bluetooth output for audio instead of the built-in speakers.

It works!!! Go figure, i didn't do anything different, but somehow it decided to work today. BT Streaming is an awesome feature when it works. I used it all day, so far so good :)

Edited by drevv