Question about the back up system

I don't know where the sound comes from but I do know that if the "buttons" on the rear bumper are covered with snow and grit, the sensors are late coming on, if at all!

Ā 

Ā 

I have found the opposite, if mine are covered, they come on as soon as I put it in reverse - scared the bejesus out of me the first time - thought something was behind me that I didn't see.

Ā 

I also tried the turn up the volume and it didn't work. couldn't even tell for sure where the sound was coming from. I agree that it is coming out of some type of speaker, just not the radio ones.

On my 08 it comes from the driver's side C pillar. I know because I sit there when my daughter drives and it's really annoying.

I paid particular attention to the beeping this morning. It does sound like it's coming from the C pillar.

That seems like an odd place to put it...unless it's to help you associate it with the rear of the car.

Now I wonder if oncoming traffic beep moves from one c pillar to the next depending on the direction of the traffic.

I paid particular attention to the beeping this morning. It does sound like it's coming from the C pillar.

That seems like an odd place to put it...unless it's to help you associate it with the rear of the car.

Now I wonder if oncoming traffic beep moves from one c pillar to the next depending on the direction of the traffic.

I've determined that, unlike the backup alert, the cross traffic beep comes from the area of the instrument cluster

What year is your edge? do you have an aftermarket radio. If all factory it should mute the radio when in reverse. If you have aftermarket radio, then it doesnt. It will still beep, but just no muting. However this can be accomplished with a relay and and either cutting the ignition lead to the aftermarket radio or use the mute wire if the deck has one.