To order or not?

tjbron

Hi. First time poster (ok, second post 'cause I did the welcome first :) )

I'm totally stressed out by this car purchase and my wife wants me to stop it, so I guess I need help! Sorry that this turned out to be a novel.

So here's the sitch. All I want is a Limited with Driver Entry Package and Tow Package. Unfortunately, everything that exists with that combo also includes several $thou of extras and such. I've asked a few dealers to check inventory and they surprisingly all suggested that I order one instead of selling me up.

The dilemma:

You get the incentives available at the time of delivery.

Current incentives expire in about six weeks.

The dealer insists that in his 30 some odd years of selling Fords he has never seen the incentives go down. This is just a salesman talking, and I can't find any sort of historical data on this.

The dealer says that the "Cover Your :censored: " estimate is 6 to 8 weeks, but "we've been getting them in 4 to 5 weeks". Again, salesman speak, but they are a leading volume dealer in the area and he says allocation is no problemo.

At the moment, I can't make myself take the gamble on there being equivalent incentives after 4/4/11, but on the other hand, I'm frustrated about all the bling'd out inventory that doesn't meet my needs.

Other crud that circulates through my brain daily:

1) I can do X-plan, Costco, whatever, and just want to get the best deal.

2) I got the $750 brochure coupon, but it expires in the first week of March.

Please help before this starts to affect my marriage!

Thanks!

Edited by tjbron

I have seen incentives go down but in this case I'd be surprised if they do. No way to be sure though.

The bigger issue is the $750 coupon. I'd say find one as close as you can to what you want and go for it, especially with X plan. You'll probably end up liking the extras and you'll get a $750 discount on them and you won't have to wait or worry about rebates expiring.

You should look around the dealer inventory yourself to see what's available.

I have seen incentives go down but in this case I'd be surprised if they do. No way to be sure though.

The bigger issue is the $750 coupon. I'd say find one as close as you can to what you want and go for it, especially with X plan. You'll probably end up liking the extras and you'll get a $750 discount on them and you won't have to wait or worry about rebates expiring.

You should look around the dealer inventory yourself to see what's available.

Yeah, you are probably right about the $750, since it does play well with X plan.

I actually have been looking at the inventories... it is an embarrassing engineer behavior, but I even have a spreadsheet! There is one vehicle in the area I could live with and put an aftermarket hitch on, but it shows as "dealer ordered" on one inventory source, and is does not show up on another inventory list.

I think my biggest beef is the 20" rims that they have added to all of them. Not too good for dirt roads, and holy smokes are the tires expensive.

Still have some noodling to do :)

I wanted exactly the same configuration - Limited with Drivers Entry and Tow package. We also wanted AWD, bordeaux red, black interior with 18 inch wheels and nothing else. Our dealer found 2 within 125 miles and we bought one so they are out there. cars.com may help since you can enter the search word "tow" at the bottom of the parameters. I wanted the factory tow package since it supposedly has additional cooling installed. Good Luck!

I can only tell you about my experience here. My dealer said he did have allocation when I asked. Ordered 12/30/10 - arrived in 35 days. Kona blue/black Limited w AWD, 301 pkg, towing, BLIS, illuminated sills. rubber mats. Invoice minus rebates + doc fee $75.00. I was a returning lease and now decided to buy. Good luck but to tell you the truth the process was pretty easy.

I ordered a loaded vehicle in late October because no one had a lot of inventory. I too saw some places included 20 inch tires and I said no way, I don't want to pay for the extra rubber when replacing the tires. So, like I said I ordered mine.

Good advice about searching outside your area and working with the dealer. Also, may try to talk them into swapping 20 inch for 18 inch wheels and tires.

Good luck on your intenhed purchase and watch the stress level. Your wife may talk into buying her a new toy or bling!

I know, right. If I'm dropping $35-40k on a car, I want it to be exactly what I want...

Hmmmm.........

Thanks for the replies.

Except in this case you're getting more than you wanted, not less. I agree that you shouldn't take less than you wanted but if you can get more with a $750 discount then you should consider it.

If you order today - your dealer has to give you the best of any incentive that comes out. If there is something better then they have to honor that. My dealer said that if I was to order one there was no reason to worry about the best deal at the time. He would give me the better of any deal during the order period.

I ordered a limited too base package and also added on the driver entry package, 20 inch wheels, and navig. I had to order mine. Placed order 1/24 and it will go on the line 2/21. Window sticker populated 2/14.

Tell your dealer that other showrooms are offering to lock in the best rate during the order period.

Hi. First time poster (ok, second post 'cause I did the welcome first :) )

I'm totally stressed out by this car purchase and my wife wants me to stop it, so I guess I need help! Sorry that this turned out to be a novel.

So here's the sitch. All I want is a Limited with Driver Entry Package and Tow Package. Unfortunately, everything that exists with that combo also includes several $thou of extras and such. I've asked a few dealers to check inventory and they surprisingly all suggested that I order one instead of selling me up.

The dilemma:

You get the incentives available at the time of delivery.

Current incentives expire in about six weeks.

The dealer insists that in his 30 some odd years of selling Fords he has never seen the incentives go down. This is just a salesman talking, and I can't find any sort of historical data on this.

The dealer says that the "Cover Your :censored: " estimate is 6 to 8 weeks, but "we've been getting them in 4 to 5 weeks". Again, salesman speak, but they are a leading volume dealer in the area and he says allocation is no problemo.

At the moment, I can't make myself take the gamble on there being equivalent incentives after 4/4/11, but on the other hand, I'm frustrated about all the bling'd out inventory that doesn't meet my needs.

Other crud that circulates through my brain daily:

1) I can do X-plan, Costco, whatever, and just want to get the best deal.

2) I got the $750 brochure coupon, but it expires in the first week of March.

Please help before this starts to affect my marriage!

Thanks!

If you order today - your dealer has to give you the best of any incentive that comes out. If there is something better then they have to honor that. My dealer said that if I was to order one there was no reason to worry about the best deal at the time. He would give me the better of any deal during the order period.

Angela - that is only true in Canada, not the U.S. In the U.S. you only get whatever is in place at the time you take delivery unless there is a special offer for ordering early, etc. This comes from Ford and the dealer has no say in it.

Angela - that is only true in Canada, not the U.S. In the U.S. you only get whatever is in place at the time you take delivery unless there is a special offer for ordering early, etc. This comes from Ford and the dealer has no say in it.

Yeah, I was gonna say that'd be awesome, but my dealer told me they are required by Ford to only give the incentives at the time of delivery

Even though there is a couple thousand dollar difference from my idea to where the stocked vehicles are, I am leaning toward that $750 coupon. If I convince them to trade the wheels down to 18"ers and take the $895 off for it, then I also get to use my $750 instead of letting it expire while my order builds.

That puts me not too much more than I would have been, and I get stuff like a BAMR, which is ok by me.

Now I just gotta figure out the best way to negotiate this with the price. I want to be at least at X-plan level, then deduct the wheels.

Again, thanks for letting me talk this out. It is helping me with the stress! The other thing that helps with stress is doing this dance. :happy feet:

Anybody notice the new $500 cash? It expires on Presidents Day.

I think this seals the deal for me. I am going to get one off the lot with the extra options, making use of my $750 and all the other incentives. Gotta get my act together now and get er done by Monday!

Oh yeah, I'll probably try to get them to trade me down to the 18" wheels for a price deduction too. Although I just checked online and the OEM tires are about the same price as the 20"s for replacement. Interesting.

Anybody notice the new $500 cash? It expires on Presidents Day.

I think this seals the deal for me. I am going to get one off the lot with the extra options, making use of my $750 and all the other incentives. Gotta get my act together now and get er done by Monday!

Oh yeah, I'll probably try to get them to trade me down to the 18" wheels for a price deduction too. Although I just checked online and the OEM tires are about the same price as the 20"s for replacement. Interesting.

Wonder if that's the expiration for your area? I'm in zip47710 and the $500 is 4/4/11 along with the 2 $1000 (total $2000) customer cash.

Wonder if that's the expiration for your area? I'm in zip47710 and the $500 is 4/4/11 along with the 2 $1000 (total $2000) customer cash.

It's an additional $500 making the total $3000. I just wish it wasn't expiring today since my car won't be arriving for a couple more weeks.

I ordered an Edge in December and the dealership will honor the best of incentives...either what was offered at the time I placed the order or what is offered when the vehicle arrives.

Let's be clear about this.

If you order a vehicle in Canada you get the choice of factory incentives at the time or order or at the time of delivery - your choice. But it's a package deal - you can't pick and choose different incentives from different times.

If you order a vehicle in the U.S. you get the incentives (from Ford) at the time you take delivery except for a few very specific early order rebates.

If the dealer in the U.S. is guaranteeing you regular incentives then they're doing it out of their own pocket (potentially) because Ford will most certainly not do that. They're just betting that the factory incentives won't drop in the meantime.

Well, due to the expiring $500 (presidents day) and $750 coupon, we decided to pull the trigger.

After negotiating via e-mail on a black limited (with some extra options over what we really wanted, $39,390 MSRP), we went to the dealership at 10:00 today. Short story is that SEVEN hours later, we emerged with a beautiful bordeaux red one with the exact same option set, but pretty darn happy with the deal. Turns out a now former employee of the dealership took our new car-to-be for a 3200 mile joyride this weekend. That's ok, I think I actually prefer the bordeaux red now after seeing it in person.

$1500 cash

$500 Presidents day

$1000 Ford Credit (it worked out better than taking the promotional credit rates or even our bank rate without the $1000)

$750 coupon

We're happy with it... .but now we just have to figure out the nutty amount of technology in this thing, between the nav and the sync and the unusual door locks and start button and everything. :)

I live in the US. Michigan to be exact. The best deal came out a week after I ordered the car. It was the deal for Feb. I ordered Jan 24. I got that deal. It was a lower rate on the lease.

Let's be clear about this.

If you order a vehicle in Canada you get the choice of factory incentives at the time or order or at the time of delivery - your choice. But it's a package deal - you can't pick and choose different incentives from different times.

If you order a vehicle in the U.S. you get the incentives (from Ford) at the time you take delivery except for a few very specific early order rebates.

If the dealer in the U.S. is guaranteeing you regular incentives then they're doing it out of their own pocket (potentially) because Ford will most certainly not do that. They're just betting that the factory incentives won't drop in the meantime.

I called for other pricing after I ordered my edge. To make sure that I was getitng the best deal. While I did find price differences all did say that they would give me the better of the deal at the time. Since the order period is usually 8 weeks, it would pretty much be the better of just two offers. Maybe some dealerships are doing it out of pocket, but here in the South Eastern Michigan area I have not had any dealer tell me that they would not do it.

I called for other pricing after I ordered my edge. To make sure that I was getitng the best deal. While I did find price differences all did say that they would give me the better of the deal at the time. Since the order period is usually 8 weeks, it would pretty much be the better of just two offers. Maybe some dealerships are doing it out of pocket, but here in the South Eastern Michigan area I have not had any dealer tell me that they would not do it.

Then the dealers are simply taking a calculated risk that the incentives are not going to go down and if they did they would have to pay them out of pocket because Ford will not honor it.

Sounds like this may be something started by one dealer so the others joined in to stay competitive. But you won't find this very often elsewhere in the U.S.

I submitted a order to my Ford dealer for a Limited AWD in middle of January. As of now the only thing the dealer says is that the order is "in." They keep telling me that it will be ready on May 1st when I get back, but I have no confidence in that. Do you think two more months would be enough to get this puppy built and shipped? I would prefer not to have to rent a car for a long period of time.

Thanks