Is this the PTU?

Logman3585

Hey guys, my wife and I just picked up our 08 AWD SEL last night. We were driving around town for about 10-15 minutes. When we stopped at a stop sign we all of a sudden had this weird smell come through the defrost/heater. We didn't smell it previously when we were driving, just when we stopped at the stop sign. Is this the dreaded PTU leaking problem? The dealer sold it with a 3 month/3,000 mile powertrain warranty and it has the remainder of the 60,000 powertrain warranty from ford as well. What should I do? Do I just take it to the dealer that sold it and ask them to check the PTU seals?

thanks alot guys

How bad was the smell? The PTU smell is sickening, it made me nauseous. If it is just a musty stale smell could be the cabin filter or something else.

The smell didn't make me nauseous, but I'm a nurse so no smell would. I'll have to look at the cabin filter and see. I don't think it was a musty smell. If I had to guess, it would be the dreaded PTU seals.....only because it was after we were driving for a little bit and stopped at a stop sign and then nothing once we were moving again. Would I be able to see a leak if I looked under the car? Can I see the seals or no?

The smell didn't make me nauseous, but I'm a nurse so no smell would. I'll have to look at the cabin filter and see. I don't think it was a musty smell. If I had to guess, it would be the dreaded PTU seals.....only because it was after we were driving for a little bit and stopped at a stop sign and then nothing once we were moving again. Would I be able to see a leak if I looked under the car? Can I see the seals or no?

You can look under the car and just follow the axle to where it goes into the PTU. You should be able to see the leak there. You'll have to get under the car to really see. The smell is like a burning oil or rubber smell. I'd have the dealer check it out just to make sure. Most states have a 3 day return policy where you can get your money back. If yours is leaking, take the sucker back - I sure wished I did. The dealer assured me they could fix it, and now I just had my 8th repair 2 years later. I wouldn't be afraid of an Edge, it's a great car with the exception of the leaky PTUs, but if you got a leaker, chances are you got one from someone who was tired of having the problem and traded it in.

• 3 months later...