Fob not recognized

I was out shopping today in my Edge SEL. I stopped, shopped, and put some packages in the back using the keyless entry. I did some more shopping and returned to the vehicle, using keyless entry to unlock the doors. I put my foot on the brake, pressed start, and "No key found" (or words to that effect) was displayed in the left panel. I took the fob off my belt and set on my lap, "No key found". I put the fob in the little pocket (logo up) in the center console, "No key found". My wife moved her fob to my lap, "No key found". I performed the remote start procedure, the Edge started, but then when I touched the brake, "No key found."

I called the Ford 800 number. Can you say "endless (^&()*)(*) menus?" I called my dealer, no help. I called the 800 number back. All they will do is tow the car. They have no trouble-shooting steps.

I finally got out of the Edge, triggering the alarm (at least that works). I closed the door using the touch the bump method (keyless), I unlocked the door by (keyless) grabbing the door handle, I got it, put my foot on the brake, pressed the button, and the Edge started.

WHY???

I was out shopping today in my Edge SEL. I stopped, shopped, and put some packages in the back using the keyless entry. I did some more shopping and returned to the vehicle, using keyless entry to unlock the doors. I put my foot on the brake, pressed start, and "No key found" (or words to that effect) was displayed in the left panel. I took the fob off my belt and set on my lap, "No key found". I put the fob in the little pocket (logo up) in the center console, "No key found". My wife moved her fob to my lap, "No key found". I performed the remote start procedure, the Edge started, but then when I touched the brake, "No key found."

I called the Ford 800 number. Can you say "endless (^&()*)(*) menus?" I called my dealer, no help. I called the 800 number back. All they will do is tow the car. They have no trouble-shooting steps.

I finally got out of the Edge, triggering the alarm (at least that works). I closed the door using the touch the bump method (keyless), I unlocked the door by (keyless) grabbing the door handle, I got it, put my foot on the brake, pressed the button, and the Edge started.

WHY???

If this is a 2011 Edge then check my posts about Ford identifying an issue with IA (finally!). One they have a fix ready then see if it solves your issue. The service message states that you might have to use your emergency key (YIKES - thankfully mine isn't that bad but it sounds like yours might be!).

The Special Service message is nuumber 21744 (if you speak to your dealer they will be able to pull that up in OASIS).

It is a 2011 Edge SEL built in the time frame addressed by 21744. (It would be interesting to know what changed to establish the end date for 21744.)

21744 only deals only with the door locking issue and while the problem I had may be related, it is not addressed.

A failure of Intellegent Access to unlock the doors is a minor, but irritating problem. There are four ways to unlock the driver's door. On the other hand, there is only one way to start the Edge and if you have Intellegent Access and it fails, you are SOL.

All the electronics are really cool as long as they don't fail. When they fail.......................

It is a 2011 Edge SEL built in the time frame addressed by 21744. (It would be interesting to know what changed to establish the end date for 21744.)

21744 only deals only with the door locking issue and while the problem I had may be related, it is not addressed.

A failure of Intellegent Access to unlock the doors is a minor, but irritating problem. There are four ways to unlock the driver's door. On the other hand, there is only one way to start the Edge and if you have Intellegent Access and it fails, you are SOL.

All the electronics are really cool as long as they don't fail. When they fail.......................

The dealer told me specifically that you may have to use the key in the glovebox ignition so that sounds like they are talking about more than just the locking problem... they are probably related because its all about detecting the key is nearby.

My wife had nearly the exact same experience in our 2011 Edge Limited AWD. She had the FOB with her, and got a "No Key Found" message and two beeps. She even tried the emergency start method, and thet did not work either. However, the power liftgate worked ok (she reported).

I had her stop all activity, and exit the vehicle, and wait for the vehicle bus to go to sleep. Once she that did, the car started right up. I didn't call the dealer out of fear I would be the only one, but it seems there is at least one more.

• 2 months later...

Just had this happen to me while out of town and it wasn't something I was expecting so I'm putting the word out so people can read up on it. I had both keys that kept saying "no key found' also car beeped twice when I even tried the remote start on one key but it didn't start. The other key started the car but once I put my foot on the brake it said "no key found". I'm not sure how many times it said that before the alarm sounded, not very loud I might add and then it seemed to fade quieter after a brief time. I don't know what I did or pushed to stop it but after waiting 5 mins. I got the car to start.

• 2 months later...

Same thing happened to me this past Saturday night. My Edge was 14 days old that night. We tried everything we could think of before finally calling road side assistance were I was told that all they could do was send a tow. We tried the remote start (it started but wouldn't finish the final stage when the brake was depressed & the button pushed), we tried putting the fob in the slot in the console. Finally my husband did a google search on his phone & found these postings. We got out, locked it, waited a few minutes then got in & it started right up. I must say, this is my first Ford and so far I am not "loving" it. I don't hate it yet, but it is starting to get on my nerves. (9 days after I bought it the driver side window cracked down inside the door-another issue that I found others had had as well. The Edge spent 2 days in the shop to get that fixed). So, so far it has not been the best experience. I have purchased 2 other brand new vehicles in my life (both GM brands) and I have never had issues like these in the first weeks, let alone first years.

• 1 year later...

My wife bought a 2011 Edge Limited AWD 2 years ago this month. About a year after she bought it she got the no keyfob found error at a gas station. All keyfob buttons worked, except when the car was remote started, it would shut off when you pressed the brake and the start button. Tried to put the keyfob in the slot in the console. Called Ford and dealer and got the response that they could only tow it in to look at it. I went home and got the other keyfob, and the car started right up. This happened again a couple months later, I had to drive home again (lucky it happened while I was at work) and it started again. I called the dealer and told him to order a new keyfob, which they resisted, but did do because the problem was happening so randomly.

Worked great until last Friday, when it happened again exactly as before, except she was at the doctor's office when she got the no keyfob found error. Had to drive home from work and get the other keyfob, the car started as soon as I walked up to the car with the second keyfob.

Next time will have her try getting out, lock the car, and wait for the bus activity to stop before trying it again.

My wife loves driving her Edge, but she no longer trusts it to not leave her stranded.

• 1 month later...

Just happened to me this morning at the gas station. When I got back in the car and tried to start, got the key not found message and then the alarm went off which I was able to silence with the key fob. I remembered that there was an alternate way to start the car and looked in the manual which describes sliding the fob into the slot in the consol. But does not tell you where the slot is and if you read the description you can't tell which way you are supposed to insert it. But didn't matter because when I found the slot, it didn't work. I called my dealer. They were pretty useless as they kept telling me to look for a space under the steering wheel as it sounds like they have changed where to insert the fob in the 2013 models. Finally, I called my wife who brought the other key fob from home and that started immediately. I was guessing that the key fob battery was bad until I found this thread. Now, I'm not so sure. If it happens again, I will remember the lock, wait suggestion. Maybe good old keys weren't such a bad idea after all.

Stuart