sync MFT article

Customers remain highly satisfied with SYNC and 80% say that they would recommend it to others,

Where they get those numbers from????? Do they read this forum?????

Forums draw people with problems. I can't believe that ford would truly leave the system out if this board truly represented the percentage of people having major problems.

Only 80% would recommend? That's not very high when you think of it.

That tells me that 20% are not satisfied...That's a big number!

You'll never get 100% - I'm sure at least 10% would not recommend it based on any number of factors including they just don't know how it works. Given the recent problems 80% is still a pretty good number.

And remember early on we had a dealer rep who reported they had sold 200 Edges w/MFT and only had one problem. The problem was serious for the few that experienced it but in the overall picture it seems the vast majority of vehicles either had no problems or just minor ones.

Thanks for posting that article ! I think that more you use MyTouch, the more likely you'll run into a problem. If you don't have navigation and don't use the USB interface, then it's pretty likely that the only issues you'll see is some lag. The more you tax the MyTouch system, the more likely you'll put the software into a bad state which will cause the system to reboot.

The article references v2.7 coming out soon:

"The latest software level, launched in the new 2012 Focus with MyFord Touch, features an update that significantly minimizes the chance of maintenance reboots. That same improvement is being applied to the 2011 Ford Edge, Explorer, and Lincoln MKX models beginning with early April production, and will also be available for current owners from their local Ford and Lincoln dealer as a SYNC software update. "

Hopefully that release does, finally, stabilize MyTouch (so they can focus on performance improvements)

Regarding the details of the article, I have to agree with Ford that automated reboots of the systems, while not ideal, is the best solution. When the software is in a whacked out state, the best thing is a clean restart. I'm assuming that the reboots were actually a feature of a software upgrade because the alternative would be to have to pull a fuse or stop and start the vehicle to force a reboot (neither of which are possible when your driving). The problem with rebooting is the following:

1) It takes a few minutes to restart

2) Depending upon what's going on when the system reboots, the reboot could be more than a minor inconvenience (specifically if your in the middle of being guided by the navigation system)

I've put this in other posts, but I'm optimistic that the MyTouch system will become stable. The system is way too important for Ford to ignore issues. Also, a car is not like a cellphone, which can be considered a disposable consumer device, so I'm not too concerned that Ford will fix issues going forward and not offer software updates to older vehicles. I do think that hardware running MyTouch may be underpowered so there will always be some lag (that is something that Ford could improve going forward and prob. would not offer hardware upgrades to older vehicles) . However, I'd hate to jump to any conclusions on the hardware until Ford optimizes the software to work with the existing hardware.

I had 2 system reboots in 1 week and no reboots either before or after. I'm finding the overall performance of MyTouch acceptable at the best of times and frustrating to use alot of the time. The navigation system is absolutely horrible. It looks great, traffic is very accurate, but the overall system lag is pretty evident in how slow the position tracking is and how cumbersome it is to enter a destination. Also, the POI database is not good.

Customers remain highly satisfied with SYNC and 80% say that they would recommend it to others,

Where they get those numbers from????? Do they read this forum?????

Notice they said 80% satisfied with SYNC, which is not necessarily the MyFord Touch SYNC system. Just saying "SYNC" could mean every SYNC equipped vehicle ever made. Technically it's probably not a false statement, although it is misleading. I can't imagine anywhere close to 80% of people that use the MFT system every day are satisfied with it.

Had the wife's MKS in for routine service yesterday. Spoke with one of the service techs, he said that

the 2012 models shoukld have the bugs worked out, along with some possible changes, but he wasn;t sure on what they would be. Verrrrrrry interesting !

Ya. right.

That's what they've been saying for 6 months. I'll believe it when I see it.

Notice they said 80% satisfied with SYNC, which is not necessarily the MyFord Touch SYNC system. Just saying "SYNC" could mean every SYNC equipped vehicle ever made. Technically it's probably not a false statement, although it is misleading. I can't imagine anywhere close to 80% of people that use the MFT system every day are satisfied with it.

Good point! Sync and Touch are two separate systems

Thanks for posting that article ! I think that more you use MyTouch, the more likely you'll run into a problem. If you don't have navigation and don't use the USB interface, then it's pretty likely that the only issues you'll see is some lag. The more you tax the MyTouch system, the more likely you'll put the software into a bad state which will cause the system to reboot.

The article references v2.7 coming out soon:

"The latest software level, launched in the new 2012 Focus with MyFord Touch, features an update that significantly minimizes the chance of maintenance reboots. That same improvement is being applied to the 2011 Ford Edge, Explorer, and Lincoln MKX models beginning with early April production, and will also be available for current owners from their local Ford and Lincoln dealer as a SYNC software update. "

Hopefully that release does, finally, stabilize MyTouch (so they can focus on performance improvements)

Regarding the details of the article, I have to agree with Ford that automated reboots of the systems, while not ideal, is the best solution. When the software is in a whacked out state, the best thing is a clean restart. I'm assuming that the reboots were actually a feature of a software upgrade because the alternative would be to have to pull a fuse or stop and start the vehicle to force a reboot (neither of which are possible when your driving). The problem with rebooting is the following:

1) It takes a few minutes to restart

2) Depending upon what's going on when the system reboots, the reboot could be more than a minor inconvenience (specifically if your in the middle of being guided by the navigation system)

I've put this in other posts, but I'm optimistic that the MyTouch system will become stable. The system is way too important for Ford to ignore issues. Also, a car is not like a cellphone, which can be considered a disposable consumer device, so I'm not too concerned that Ford will fix issues going forward and not offer software updates to older vehicles. I do think that hardware running MyTouch may be underpowered so there will always be some lag (that is something that Ford could improve going forward and prob. would not offer hardware upgrades to older vehicles) . However, I'd hate to jump to any conclusions on the hardware until Ford optimizes the software to work with the existing hardware.

I had 2 system reboots in 1 week and no reboots either before or after. I'm finding the overall performance of MyTouch acceptable at the best of times and frustrating to use alot of the time. The navigation system is absolutely horrible. It looks great, traffic is very accurate, but the overall system lag is pretty evident in how slow the position tracking is and how cumbersome it is to enter a destination. Also, the POI database is not good.

The automated reboot is a band-aid fix to a problem Ford can't seem to get a handle on. I suggested 6 months ago that Touch was poorly programmed and they were not handling memory like they should. The Touch system goes brain dead because it runs low on resources. A pull of Fuse 29 cleaned it up.

Now Ford has inserted a scheduled reboot into the system. Too bad my system goes stupid before it hit's the scheduled reboot.

Ford needs to bite the bullet, scrap this POS and get some real programmers on staff to create a real system.