1 Fob operates 2cars

double edge

I have had a 2010 edge since last summer with no problems. My wife recently purchased a 2011 fusion only to find that the fobs some how run both cars. Just the buttons that is and the dealer has been un-able to fix it after repeated visits. I'm just wonfdering if this is a common problem and if anyone has had it what was the fix? Sounds like a stupid problem but my edge hatch opens all the way when her trunk is opened and has been left open a few times all night. Also a real mess when the panic button is hit and goes out of seq. to shut it off.

I have had a 2010 edge since last summer with no problems. My wife recently purchased a 2011 fusion only to find that the fobs some how run both cars. Just the buttons that is and the dealer has been un-able to fix it after repeated visits. I'm just wonfdering if this is a common problem and if anyone has had it what was the fix? Sounds like a stupid problem but my edge hatch opens all the way when her trunk is opened and has been left open a few times all night. Also a real mess when the panic button is hit and goes out of seq. to shut it off.

I actually did this on purpose with our previous vehicles so I didn't have to carry an extra fob.

The only explanation I can think of is you have 2 fobs with the same code. The car learns each fob. Did the dealer wipe out the fob learning and relearn both fobs to each vehicle separately? If not then that should fix it. If they did does it only happen with one of the fobs or all of them? If it's just one then get a new one. If it's all then that's a mystery.

• Like 1

I actually did this on purpose with our previous vehicles so I didn't have to carry an extra fob.

The only explanation I can think of is you have 2 fobs with the same code. The car learns each fob. Did the dealer wipe out the fob learning and relearn both fobs to each vehicle separately? If not then that should fix it. If they did does it only happen with one of the fobs or all of them? If it's just one then get a new one. If it's all then that's a mystery.

Yes i agree ,something dosen't make sense.Thats why i'm here trying to find out if anyone else has had the same problem because fords is not interested in fixing it. Or capable of fixing it.

Ford doesn't fix cars - dealers do. What exactly did the dealers do to reprogram. Did they reprogram each vehicle with the 2 keys that came with that vehicle separately? What exactly happens with each one of the 4 keyfobs?

Ford doesn't fix cars - dealers do. What exactly did the dealers do to reprogram. Did they reprogram each vehicle with the 2 keys that came with that vehicle separately? What exactly happens with each one of the 4 keyfobs?

the fobs were re -programed twice by the dealer with both vehicales seperated . They then replaced the 4 keyfobs and reset them and the new keys did the same thing. They then reset the car with new codes which worked for 2 hrs. They then started operating both cars again. Its weird as a couple keys would not switch over ,but within a couple of days they were all doing it again. I would have thought fords would be more interested because it is so weird but the opposite seems to be happening .Its as if they don't want to hear about it.Makes me wonder if it's something more seroius then just my 2 cars.

the fobs were re -programed twice by the dealer with both vehicales seperated . They then replaced the 4 keyfobs and reset them and the new keys did the same thing. They then reset the car with new codes which worked for 2 hrs. They then started operating both cars again. Its weird as a couple keys would not switch over ,but within a couple of days they were all doing it again. I would have thought fords would be more interested because it is so weird but the opposite seems to be happening .Its as if they don't want to hear about it.Makes me wonder if it's something more seroius then just my 2 cars.

That just doesn't make sense. I could see if it happened on one vehicle - maybe the PCM was messed up. But not two. Something else is happening. I suggest having another dealer look at it and check the programming again.

Yep, i don't buy it either. I don't believe that the dealer actually went out and replaced 4 keyfobs, including cutting the keys.

By the way "fords" sells around 2 million cars a year, they really don't have the resources to investigate every weird issue.