2011 Sport Edge (help with buying from U.S.of A.

Been a member here for awhile I had a 2007 Edge SEL loved it but sold it. I am in the market for edge sport. I almost pulled the trigger and signed the papers for 2011 in Ontario but declined at the last minute the sale price was $49,000. I recently found the same car in North Carolina for $36,900 with the Canadian dollar strong it would be around $34,000. I have looked andvread that there is not much to convert it to Canadian standard except Daytime running lamps. I will be putting in HID's anyhow, for my 07 Edge they turned them off for me at the local dealership, I argued with them saying Caddy's have theirs turned off so they did it. Anyway if someone knows what I need to do and what kind of money I would be looking at Taxes, customs etc.....I was thinking about flying down to NC and driving itbtonthe border and have the wife waiting for me there cause I think it has to say at the border for a few days

Anybody that has experience in this or could help me out I would APPRECIATE a lot

Been a member here for awhile I had a 2007 Edge SEL loved it but sold it. I am in the market for edge sport. I almost pulled the trigger and signed the papers for 2011 in Ontario but declined at the last minute the sale price was $49,000. I recently found the same car in North Carolina for $36,900 with the Canadian dollar strong it would be around $34,000. I have looked andvread that there is not much to convert it to Canadian standard except Daytime running lamps. I will be putting in HID's anyhow, for my 07 Edge they turned them off for me at the local dealership, I argued with them saying Caddy's have theirs turned off so they did it. Anyway if someone knows what I need to do and what kind of money I would be looking at Taxes, customs etc.....I was thinking about flying down to NC and driving itbtonthe border and have the wife waiting for me there cause I think it has to say at the border for a few days

Anybody that has experience in this or could help me out I would APPRECIATE a lot

I purchased a 2011 Ford Edge Sport in the U.S as a factory order and will be taking delivery in a few weeks.

I would highly recommend that you go here http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx as it has all the info you need to import a vehicle into Canada. Another site that I found helpful was http://www.importcartocanada.info/, the import vehicle calculator they have is pretty cool. You could also call the U.S. and Canadian borders you will be crossing to get their requirements and they may offer you some tips like the best day and time to cross.

Edited by Jay77

From what I understand, daytime running lights use a module that US cars don not have installed. You may want to contact your parts dept. And tell them you already bought, or inherited an 11 sport and need to convert it. Try to get a cost and part number and then see if they'd be able to program it on for you. Whatever you find out, post back because a lot of owners here in the US would like these as well.

From what I understand, daytime running lights use a module that US cars don not have installed. You may want to contact your parts dept. And tell them you already bought, or inherited an 11 sport and need to convert it. Try to get a cost and part number and then see if they'd be able to program it on for you. Whatever you find out, post back because a lot of owners here in the US would like these as well.

I've spoken to the service manager at my local Ford dealer and he seems to believe it's a programming change in the module configuration. He said that if they can't figure it out they will call the Ford Tech hotline who should be able to help. Either way I'll post back and let everyone know how it went.

Edited by Jay77

I appreciate the replys and I would post my findings.

this would be pretty cool if I can save $10,000 on th eedge and get a couple days in NC to get some golf in. :yup:

If I can be of anymore help just send me a PM and I'll try to answer any question you have.

It's definitly worth doing because of the amount of money your going to be saving so do your research and remember Google is your friend.

I found this DRL activation information on a site I'm using to help me prepare my import of a 2011 Edge into Canada.

Now this info relates to how it was done for a 2011 Mustang but I will be contacting Riv to see if they will be able to confirm this procedure for my Edge so stay tuned.

The Daytime Running Lamp (DRL’s) Modules in the US sourced Fords are already in the vehicles, they just don’t turn them on.

My US dealer was happy to activate them, but was unable.

Reason, US Ford Dealer computers need a “password” from Transport Canada to activate the DRL module via the computers in their service departments. This “password” is not provided until Form 1 is filled out at the border.

That’s why we can only get them activated at a Canadian Ford Dealer as their computers can somehow access Transport Canada servers to retrieve the necessary password.

I believe the password may be the Work Order number on Form 2 that lists the modifications that Ford needs to complete for the vehicle to pass the Federal inspection.

First of all RIV would have no idea how to turn on DRLs on any vehicle, they just know that you have to do it.

Second of all, that procedure isn't right at all. The 2011 Edge uses an entirely different module than all previous Fords, including the Mustang. Unlike what Jay77 says, the US model does have all the software installed, it just has to be turned on. Problem is that Ford has decided not to provide dealers with a means to turn it on. This is because there are some weird laws relating to DRLs in turns of their output, locations and such that makes some combinations legal in one country but illegal in others.

The 2011 Mustang and 2010 and older Edge can have DRL turned on by any dealer using the IDS software tool. No password is needed. The instructions are right in the shop manual.

I'm also really surprised you're coming up with that much price difference. Either you got a really lousy deal in Ontario, or there's something wrong with that car in NC. The price difference should be enough to make it worthwhile, but $15K makes me think something is wrong.

Edited by Waldo

First of all RIV would have no idea how to turn on DRLs on any vehicle, they just know that you have to do it.

Second of all, that procedure isn't right at all. The 2011 Edge uses an entirely different module than all previous Fords, including the Mustang. Unlike what Jay77 says, the US model does have all the software installed, it just has to be turned on. Problem is that Ford has decided not to provide dealers with a means to turn it on. This is because there are some weird laws relating to DRLs in turns of their output, locations and such that makes some combinations legal in one country but illegal in others.

The 2011 Mustang and 2010 and older Edge can have DRL turned on by any dealer using the IDS software tool. No password is needed. The instructions are right in the shop manual.

I'm also really surprised you're coming up with that much price difference. Either you got a really lousy deal in Ontario, or there's something wrong with that car in NC. The price difference should be enough to make it worthwhile, but $15K makes me think something is wrong.

I didn't make this procedure up, I found it here. http://www.carswithoutborders.com/2010/12/13/mustang-owner-reaps-rewards-saves-over-8000/

It may not work for a 2011 Edge but it obviouly worked on a 2011 Mustang so the procedure isn't wrong at all.

BTW I called RIV and asked about the procedure in my previous post and they refused to comment. They did say that any mechanic can perform the DRL modification and it doesn't have to be the dealer. The rep recommened I go to Canadian Tire because they sell DRL kit's and are authorized to do the work and can have the federal inspection done in the same visit. I'm still going to go to a Ford dealer to try and have it done and if they can't I'll get a DRL kit installed.

I didn't make this procedure up, I found it here. http://www.carswithoutborders.com/2010/12/13/mustang-owner-reaps-rewards-saves-over-8000/

It may not work for a 2011 Edge but it obviouly worked on a 2011 Mustang so the procedure isn't wrong at all.

BTW I called RIV and asked about the procedure in my previous post and they refused to comment. They did say that any mechanic can perform the DRL modification and it doesn't have to be the dealer. The rep recommened I go to Canadian Tire because they sell DRL kit's and are authorized to do the work and can have the federal inspection done in the same visit. I'm still going to go to a Ford dealer to try and have it done and if they can't I'll get a DRL kit installed.

I wouldn't be confident in this post's use of year of the model year or any dates. The post was from 12/13/10 talking about ordering in April 2011 and received the car in July2011.

I am sure there is a way to get them turned on, but not every car has to be set up to work the same way. Good luck with getting the car and a trip though.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be confident in this post's use of year of the model year or any dates. The post was from 12/13/10 talking about ordering in April 2011 and received the car in July2011.

I am sure there is a way to get them turned on, but not every car has to be set up to work the same way. Good luck with getting the car and a trip though.

I just brought back a 2011 Edge Limited AWD from the states on Friday, very simple process, 10 minutes in customs doing paperwork and paying gst and air tax. My Edge has DRL that are working. I would think that since the vehicle is assembled i Canada they now must have DRL working, Anyways my inspection should be a snap. The only problem I have encountered is the directions on Sync. Will not respond to any Canadian address. Probably requires a download I am assuming. Has anyone encountered this problem yet ??

I just brought back a 2011 Edge Limited AWD from the states on Friday, very simple process, 10 minutes in customs doing paperwork and paying gst and air tax. My Edge has DRL that are working. I would think that since the vehicle is assembled i Canada they now must have DRL working, Anyways my inspection should be a snap. The only problem I have encountered is the directions on Sync. Will not respond to any Canadian address. Probably requires a download I am assuming. Has anyone encountered this problem yet ??

Sync services doesn't work in Canada, period.

Cars are built all over the world and shipped across continents. Every vehicle is built knowing the destination it is going to be shipped to and is built to that spec. Thus it doesn't matter where the Edge is built, if it's sold as a retail unit in the US, it will not have DRL enabled. Perhaps your dealer ordered DRL through a fleet code? Does it show option 942 on the invoice or window sticker?

• 2 weeks later...

Sync services doesn't work in Canada, period.

Cars are built all over the world and shipped across continents. Every vehicle is built knowing the destination it is going to be shipped to and is built to that spec. Thus it doesn't matter where the Edge is built, if it's sold as a retail unit in the US, it will not have DRL enabled. Perhaps your dealer ordered DRL through a fleet code? Does it show option 942 on the invoice or window sticker?

I bought the Edge with 4000 miles on it. It was used as a rental. Ford Canada told me any fleet vehicles going to USA have DRL activated. When you bring the vehicle back to Canada make sure you check in through vehicle import office in the states. If not, could cause problems down the road, BTW, love the vehicle !!!