Brake Pedal Sometimes hard to press when starting

DF2161

Hi everyone,

I really like this forum and want to thank everyone for all the very informative and helpful posts on here. I love my 2011 Ford Edge; what a beautiful car with so many great features! I have had mine for 5 months and am still learning about it every day. I do have a question regarding starting the vehicle. Sometimes when I start the car, the brake pedal is hard to press. It goes down enough for the car to start but I am wondering if anyone has had this happen with their car and what the reason might be. Other times it is fine and I can press it down easily. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi everyone,

I really like this forum and want to thank everyone for all the very informative and helpful posts on here. I love my 2011 Ford Edge; what a beautiful car with so many great features! I have had mine for 5 months and am still learning about it every day. I do have a question regarding starting the vehicle. Sometimes when I start the car, the brake pedal is hard to press. It goes down enough for the car to start but I am wondering if anyone has had this happen with their car and what the reason might be. Other times it is fine and I can press it down easily. Thanks in advance for any help :)

I've noticed that happening maybe 10% of the time. Seems completely random and although it does feel strange, it also seems harmless. I've got lots of more worrisome issues with my MKX than that one...

• Like 1

Power brake systems use vacuum to make the pedal feel "soft". That vacuum comes from a running engine but there is some stored when the engine turns off. If you pump the brakes a few times or hold them down a while after you've turned off the engine, you will "use up" that vacuum and the pedal will feel hard. This is normal for any car that has power brakes, it's just that you've probably never noticed in other cars because you never had to push the brake before starting in other cars.

Jump in any car and pump the pedal 5 times with the engine off and the pedal will feel hard.

Power brake systems use vacuum to make the pedal feel "soft". That vacuum comes from a running engine but there is some stored when the engine turns off. If you pump the brakes a few times or hold them down a while after you've turned off the engine, you will "use up" that vacuum and the pedal will feel hard. This is normal for any car that has power brakes, it's just that you've probably never noticed in other cars because you never had to push the brake before starting in other cars.

Jump in any car and pump the pedal 5 times with the engine off and the pedal will feel hard.

+1

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Yes, I know about the vacuum and you are correct. I am always very careful to not keep my foot pressed down when I turn the car off. I take my foot off right away. I have even sat there with the car running (after taking my foot off the brake) for a minute or two, just in case, before shutting it off. I'm stumped about what could be causing this to happen occasionally. Anyway, it's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thanks again, everyone :)