2011 Edge SEL AWD My Touch Issues

In the first week of owning my Edge I noticed that the My Touch screen was lagging, then it escalated to a point where it just randomly didn't come on when I started the vehicle. From there the problem graduated to where it would shut down while in use and would stay off for extended periods of time.

I've had the vehicle into the dealership 4 times already to repair the problem, the last attempt they replaced the entire module and reloaded the updated software which only led to different issues with voice commands and ipod control. Now the dealership wants me to bring it back a 5th time so that another attempt to resolve the issue can occur.

Keep in mind, I've owned my vehicle for 2 months and 2 days and it has less then 2800 miles on it.

My questions are:

Has anyone else had this happen?

At what point will this fall under the "Lemon Law", with respect to the number of attempts to repair the same issue without resolution?

Does anyone recommend that I take the vehicle to a different dealership?

Thanks in advance.

There have been some problems with these. I had mine for a week and the display went black. (Had version 2.3 of the software.) Lost the radio at the same time. Quickly whipped into the dealer, and after an hour, they could not get it to respond. Took it home and disconnected the battery for ten minutes and reconnected. Unit rebooted and worked fine. Took it back to the dealer and left it for a day. There was a TSB that my VIN was affected. They attempted to upload an upgrade to the software. They were able to load the base software (version 2.7), but in the process, I lost functions for heated seats, ambient lighting, radio parameters (bass, treble, balance, fade), backup camera. So they ordered a new unit. Scheduled for replacement tomorrow, so we'll see. I don't have the TSB info, but you might check with the dealer and see if they looked for one and if it covers your Edge.

This site or the fordsyncforum.com are the best for dealing with sync/MFT problems. V2.8 seems to be the latest fix but its not perfect. I got it about a month ago and my phone and media problems are mostly fixed. no more reboots needed now. I am assuming there will be further updates soon to fix the remaining problems. I brought some of the early posts on this topic to the dealer regarding V2.8 and they gave me the upgrade under warranty without any problem. Took 2 days though. Ill go again as updates are available. Never got a letter from ford or announcement in syncmyride.com to get updates.

Ford unfortunately is terrible in dealing with this issue. Some of us received a letter announcing the "10B20" campaign to "upgrade" the software. Many people didn't receive the notice. As far as I know, none of us are routinely notified when a software update relevant to our cars is available.

They also designed the system in such a way that we can't simply download the "patches" onto a thumb drive and plug into the car. We have to take the car into and usually drop off at, the dealer. The dealerships (I've talked to or dealt with three of them in my area) are incensed at how this is being handled. The required work ties up service bays for long periods of time and often folks are disappointed that all of their issues were not addressed. It simply isn't acceptable that you go in for an "update" and the issues you had before are now replaced with other issues.

Many vehicles out there have pretty sophisticated voice command systems (our new 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite for example) and there has been exactly zero issues with any of the interfaces/software. I understand the touch screens are touted by Ford as new "stuff" but our 2007 Honda Pilot had touch screen technology and voice command functions and required no maintenance or updates. In the end, this may be an issue in which a third party vendor simply didn't properly design/QA the software Ford uses to run all of their technology in the vehicle

Unfortunately this problem is poisoning the well between dealerships and Ford as well as between Ford and their customers.

• 2 months later...

I had my '11 Edge in today to have the 10B20 upgrade. They just told me on the phone that all was completed now without a hitch, but when i went onto syncmyride.com to look at my update history, there has been no changes since they installed 2.4 in April. Are they blowing smoke?

I had my '11 Edge in today to have the 10B20 upgrade. They just told me on the phone that all was completed now without a hitch, but when i went onto syncmyride.com to look at my update history, there has been no changes since they installed 2.4 in April. Are they blowing smoke?

Yep - there is a version 2.11 now