Pulls To Right When Accelerating (2011 Edge Limited FWD)

silverknight

Brand new vehicle. Noticed that when accelerating (whether from stop or while moving) car pulls to the right. The harder the acceleration, the harder the pull. Dealer says that's normal and said they test drove another Edge to verify. Said they all do it.

I'm wondering the first time someone aceelrates into another car how fast a recall would come.

I always thought that a car should go straight when accelerating, coasting and stopping.

Can any of you try an acceleration test and see if the vehicle pulls right.

(I've also posted in Transaxel-FWD)

Brand new vehicle. Noticed that when accelerating (whether from stop or while moving) car pulls to the right. The harder the acceleration, the harder the pull. Dealer says that's normal and said they test drove another Edge to verify. Said they all do it.

Well, if they all do it, then the one i test-drove must have something wrong with it, because it didn't pull to the right at all.

Take it back in. Make sure you get your copy of the paperwork. If still normal, see dealership owner and have HIM drive it. If still normal call ford (which wont do anything at all). Then insist on a ford rep to come and look at your vehicle.

All front wheel drive vehicles pull to the right when accelerating. It's called torque-steer and is inherent in the design of FWD. Some cars are better than others though and the Edge isn't particularly good.

Doesn't seem right to me. Normally, torque steer occurs for an instant as the short axle gains input quickly versus the long shaft. Additionally, traction control in our cars should help eliminate this by lightly braking that wheel.

Constant pull to the right doesn't seem normal and doesn't occur in my Edge. Heck it doesn't occur in my FWD turbo Volvo that gets 80% of its torque at 1800rpm and 100% from 2000rpm onward. It generally tugs to the right and then a bit left and all straight after that.

If you are not hammer down with each take off, you might want to check your front tire pressures. They need to be the same. A low tire will magnify the pull in the steering wheel. Either you have a bunch of hp, spinning from takeoff or have something wrong, I have never felt it in my 2010 MKX. I did own some Honda Civics that would wrestle you for control of the steering wheel, and I was hammer down on that little car.