AWD or FWD?

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy a Used 2008 (or so) edge, and are debating AWD vs FWD. We're actually not too worried about the snow, we've both had FWD vehicles and there's not a lot of hills (plus, we're unlikely to go out if it's really that bad). Our main concern is towing. We'll be occasionally (2-3 times a year) taking a 1000lb jet ski (dry weight, excluding trailer) up north and launching on a concrete launch, and we just want to make sure we're not going to have a problem pulling it out of the water. It's fairly light so I think we'd be fine, but I thought we'd check here first. With all the problems I've been reading about with the AWD, I figured the less weight, better mileage, and better reliability would be worth it, but only if it can handle the jet-ski on the ramp without a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

-Brian

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy a Used 2008 (or so) edge, and are debating AWD vs FWD. We're actually not too worried about the snow, we've both had FWD vehicles and there's not a lot of hills (plus, we're unlikely to go out if it's really that bad). Our main concern is towing. We'll be occasionally (2-3 times a year) taking a 1000lb jet ski (dry weight, excluding trailer) up north and launching on a concrete launch, and we just want to make sure we're not going to have a problem pulling it out of the water. It's fairly light so I think we'd be fine, but I thought we'd check here first. With all the problems I've been reading about with the AWD, I figured the less weight, better mileage, and better reliability would be worth it, but only if it can handle the jet-ski on the ramp without a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

-Brian

I don't think you'd have any troubles with the ramp and FWD. In general 2wd will always have less maintenance than 4wd vehicles. If you do go AWD, check an Oasis report before you buy to make sure it hasn't had any PTU/axle seal leaks. If it has, do NOT buy. I know most have been repaired, but I would just find one that hasn't had the problem. FWD you don't have to worry. I can't imagine you having any problems with a jet ski on a ramp unless it was a dirt ramp, or very slimy from algea where traction would be a problem, power sure won't be. I will say the AWD is awesome in the snow and ice, but it sounds like you don't have that worry, so if it was me, with $4 a gallon gas, I'd go FWD all the way - not to mention you should be able to buy it cheaper.

I don't think you'd have any troubles with the ramp and FWD. In general 2wd will always have less maintenance than 4wd vehicles. If you do go AWD, check an Oasis report before you buy to make sure it hasn't had any PTU/axle seal leaks. If it has, do NOT buy. I know most have been repaired, but I would just find one that hasn't had the problem. FWD you don't have to worry. I can't imagine you having any problems with a jet ski on a ramp unless it was a dirt ramp, or very slimy from algea where traction would be a problem, power sure won't be. I will say the AWD is awesome in the snow and ice, but it sounds like you don't have that worry, so if it was me, with $4 a gallon gas, I'd go FWD all the way - not to mention you should be able to buy it cheaper.

Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I'll just make sure to avoid the super slippery and steep ramps and we'll be all good. Thanks!

Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I'll just make sure to avoid the super slippery and steep ramps and we'll be all good. Thanks!

I was debating back and forth (in my own head) regarding AWD vs. FWD and came to the same conclusion. Its not really needed for the type of conditions I see.

Also for your situation, carrying around a couple wood boards along the side of your trailer for the really slippery ramps is good insurance.

• 1 month later...

We do in NE Ohio in the snow belt. I was worried about the 22s but honestly, it goes as well as our 07 AWD with the 18s went if not better. You want to make sure in VERY deep stuff to poke the stacked snow out when you arrive and break just a LITTLE sooner (I am being picky, fyi) but overall I've been thrilled with it. Seriously the only thing I think that is not an improvement over our 07 AWD is the wet breaking and it's just a TOUCH worse due to the 22s and harder rubber. Our Sport is an AWD btw.

We do in NE Ohio in the snow belt. I was worried about the 22s but honestly, it goes as well as our 07 AWD with the 18s went if not better. You want to make sure in VERY deep stuff to poke the stacked snow out when you arrive and break just a LITTLE sooner (I am being picky, fyi) but overall I've been thrilled with it. Seriously the only thing I think that is not an improvement over our 07 AWD is the wet breaking and it's just a TOUCH worse due to the 22s and harder rubber. Our Sport is an AWD btw.

Thank you, hoping I can get away with FWD, dealership had both sports in color I want.(awd and fwd) Wish was winter so could test the fwd in snow with 22". 09 has been fine in the snow without awd for a car.

Edited by lookingedge