Goodridge Brake Hoses

Has anybody installed Goodridge Stainless Steel brake hoses?

As my 2008 Edge is aging, I have noticed that the brakes are starting to feel mushy and soft.

I have personally bled the brakes and the feeling has not changed.

Will these hoses give this vehicle a bit more feel to the brakes?

Is the master cylinder the soft source?

I have driven my buddy's 2011 Edge and it feels very, very different.

http://www.goodridge.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/topcategories_-1_64_10551

I used them hoses on a Delorean, yes it was a big difference but the hoses I changed were from 1981 so there was no comparison.

You feel mushy brakes on a 2008 the hoses will not do any difference, it is just wear in your system you feel.

If you want harder brakes do a complete brake fluid flush, just bleeding wont do much of a difference!

No need to change the hoses to get a good pedal, your hoses are not wore out yet. New pads will not effect the pedal feel cause you are still compressing fluid. I got over 120k on my Windstar with original hoses (had to change the rears for a brake job when I replaced the wheel cylinders) now have 138k on 2 original hoses. When I changed the hoses I did not notice any pedal difference because I regularly flush my Brake fluid. The Explorer has over 100k on it and it still has a hard firm pedal.

Brake fluid attracts water and this is why you get the soft pedal. A complete flush from the Master Cylinder to all four tires with fresh new fluid will be a world of difference.

I flushed the brakes on the 98 Explorer and my Wife freaked out cause she hit the brakes and it reacted quicker than it used to, she actually locked the seat belt.

Stainless steel braided hoses are great for high performance brake systems where you do heavy stop and go high speed breaking, but for an everyday road car it is a useless upgrade because you will never reap the benefits of the hoses unless you change the Pads, Big Oversized Rotors, Multiple Piston Calipers and a High Performance Master Cylinder but then hey you are driving an Edge. It is like putting a racing seat and seat harness in a Pinto with 4 flat tires to drive 5MPH.

But hey it is your money.

• 3 months later...

No need to change the hoses to get a good pedal, your hoses are not wore out yet. New pads will not effect the pedal feel cause you are still compressing fluid. I got over 120k on my Windstar with original hoses (had to change the rears for a brake job when I replaced the wheel cylinders) now have 138k on 2 original hoses. When I changed the hoses I did not notice any pedal difference because I regularly flush my Brake fluid. The Explorer has over 100k on it and it still has a hard firm pedal.

Brake fluid attracts water and this is why you get the soft pedal. A complete flush from the Master Cylinder to all four tires with fresh new fluid will be a world of difference.

I flushed the brakes on the 98 Explorer and my Wife freaked out cause she hit the brakes and it reacted quicker than it used to, she actually locked the seat belt.

Stainless steel braided hoses are great for high performance brake systems where you do heavy stop and go high speed breaking, but for an everyday road car it is a useless upgrade because you will never reap the benefits of the hoses unless you change the Pads, Big Oversized Rotors, Multiple Piston Calipers and a High Performance Master Cylinder but then hey you are driving an Edge. It is like putting a racing seat and seat harness in a Pinto with 4 flat tires to drive 5MPH.

But hey it is your money.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you add a fluid(water) to a fluid(brake fluid) and suddenly get a compressible fluid?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you add a fluid(water) to a fluid(brake fluid) and suddenly get a compressible fluid?

Brake fluid is hydroscopic. It absorbs water.

The water in the system gets hot and "boils" and turns to steam=gas. The gas then compresses when you apply the brakes.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic. It absorbs water.

The water in the system gets hot and "boils" and turns to steam=gas. The gas then compresses when you apply the brakes.

Correct. But that only happens when you're doing a lot of braking, not in everyday driving as nextime implied. I suspect he had air in the line and flushing the new fluid got rid of the bubbles causing the change in braking.

I just did brakes on my 08 MKX, I did new front rotors (autozone brand) Akebono Pads and then my booster went out. I installed a new one and bleed the system twice and damn my brakes are touchy like a Honda Accord coupe, in fact it feels like it stops better then the coupe. I am very very happy with the brake system and it made a world of difference!!! No mushy feel at all. You might want to look into either bleeding the brakes and replacing fluid or in fact you might have a bad booster like a lot of us. My theory is the boosters are defective from the factory causing everyone to hate the brakes on their MKXs and Edges. Sure you can change brakes lines but is that really the solution to the problem, or just masking the overall problem?