Adding a Ford Alarm for use with the Keyless Entry

I have a 2011 Edge SEL, thought it had a built in alarm but found it does not, just keyless entry.. Anybody had one installed after the purchase through the dealer for use with the keyless entry?

I haven't installed one, but the factory type alarm is this one:

P/N: 7L3Z-19A361-AA-E09

Alarm

off topic:

Yulee, FL huh? I just got back to So Cal after visiting Amelia Island for a wedding. In-laws live out in Old Nassauville.

I was going to go with the Ford unit till I did some research. The research I did shows how crappy the Ford alarm is. You can get an aftermarket one installed for almost the same price that does so much more plus has a linger range. I had a Python 872 installed for under $600.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6001-alarm-and-remote-start/page__p__47345__fromsearch__1#entry47345

I was going to go with the Ford unit till I did some research. The research I did shows how crappy the Ford alarm is. You can get an aftermarket one installed for almost the same price that does so much more plus has a linger range. I had a Python 872 installed for under $600.

http://www.fordedgef...h__1#entry47345

I've been looking at some DEI alarms as well. But I already have the factory remote start and IA package.

I think I'm holding out on an option that will allow me to roll up/down the windows without carrying a separate fob. I know that Viper SmartStart will allow me to use my phone to start the car, but I want to use the phone to roll my windows up from the anywhere.

Honestly, the alarm is not that enticing to me. I want the convenience features of an aftermarket system.

One idea is to set up some relays and a couple DEI 530Ts that will respond to a combination of keypresses. For example, if I unlock the car and then hit the lock twice (horn beep) within a specified time, the windows will roll up.

But for the OP, I think the ford system will be good enough. If he can install on his own, it will cost only $125.

• 3 weeks later...

HI, I just purchased a used 2008 Edge and I'm using Ravelco, but still wanted a bit more. I wanted to layer my security set up. This is apparently what is recommenced. Layering or using more then one system. I wanted to stop all amatures with a normal alarm and most importantly get a inexpensive 2-way system to alert me of any would be crooks.

I found the Viper 3203 at best buy this weekend for only $ 75.00 not sure if others will be able to find the deal I did. But the bad news is with installation and de-activating the factory alarm, plus tax, I had to Pay $ 267.00 Total wich might not be so bad for a professionally installed 2-way Viper system. this system is also upgradable and has a 2000 foot range instead of 1500.

I will later post some more info on this forum and my own website but i haven't had time to take my photos and make my review of my Edge, Ravelco and Viper yet, hehee.

I live in Jersey and brought mine at Best Buy in Rockaway Mall or Complex on New Hope Ave. Rockawy NJ

Edited by vikta

HI, I just purchased a used 2008 Edge and I'm using Ravelco, but still wanted a bit more. I wanted to layer my security set up. This is apparently what is recommenced. Layering or using more then one system. I wanted to stop all amatures with a normal alarm and most importantly get a inexpensive 2-way system to alert me of any would be crooks.

I found the Viper 3203 at best buy this weekend for only $ 75.00 not sure if others will be able to find the deal I did. But the bad news is with installation and de-activating the factory alarm, plus tax, I had to Pay $ 267.00 Total wich might not be so bad for a professionally installed 2-way Viper system. this system is also upgradable and has a 2000 foot range instead of 1500.

I will later post some more info on this forum and my own website but i haven't had time to take my photos and make my review of my Edge, Ravelco and Viper yet, hehee.

I live in Jersey and brought mine at Best Buy in Rockaway Mall or Complex on New Hope Ave. Rockawy NJ

Just a heads up there is no factory alarm to be deactivated in your edge. ford has not installed them from the factory since late 05. Hopefully they didnt charge you too much for this feature!! good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge SEL, thought it had a built in alarm but found it does not, just keyless entry.. Anybody had one installed after the purchase through the dealer for use with the keyless entry?

The dealer installed an alarm in my 2011 Edge Limited. When I picked up my car, I discovered it was the "basic" alarm system. I need to schedule an appointment to have that corrected. What are you interested in about it? When I have the work done I can fill you in.