Driver Door Noise

Hello, I'm new to the forum here, but I've been sifting through threads for quite a bit of time now. I used the search feature to try and find some answers to an issue I'm having, but while many threads seemed to have similar issues, none of them seemed resolved or specific enough.

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge SE two days ago and I noticed that when I start going above 65mph a small rattling/creaking noise starts to come from the driver side door. It almost seemed like it could be the mirrror on the door, or perhaps even something in the air conditioning vent right next to the driver side door. After some examination of the door I discovered that the interior panel had it's plastic clips pop out of the metal door itself. I was with the dealer and we quickly tried to compress the door panels to force the clips back in, but no luck. The service department was closed and he said that they had a tool that could pop those clips back in easily (so I'm taking the car back in today). I'm not convinced that these clips are generating the noise though since when the noise begins I can push on the door panel and the noise is unaffected.

I'm just curious if any of you have any idea what else can be creating this noise. It does NOT sound like wind noise or a whistle of any kind, just a squeeking/creaking/rattle. It is very faint and easily drowned out by the radio, but when I was a peaceful ride I have to listen to this. The vehicle has less than 100 miles on it so I would like to see no issues, ya know? So any ideas you guys can throw my way to have the mechanic look at would be fantastic!

Thanks to everyone on this forum, the info I've read so far has been helpful already! Everyone who has seen this Ford Edge has become instantly envious and I'm proud and happy to own it. It's a fantastic ride and will definitely be useful to own. Thanks so much!

Hello, I'm new to the forum here, but I've been sifting through threads for quite a bit of time now. I used the search feature to try and find some answers to an issue I'm having, but while many threads seemed to have similar issues, none of them seemed resolved or specific enough.

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge SE two days ago and I noticed that when I start going above 65mph a small rattling/creaking noise starts to come from the driver side door. It almost seemed like it could be the mirrror on the door, or perhaps even something in the air conditioning vent right next to the driver side door. After some examination of the door I discovered that the interior panel had it's plastic clips pop out of the metal door itself. I was with the dealer and we quickly tried to compress the door panels to force the clips back in, but no luck. The service department was closed and he said that they had a tool that could pop those clips back in easily (so I'm taking the car back in today). I'm not convinced that these clips are generating the noise though since when the noise begins I can push on the door panel and the noise is unaffected.

I'm just curious if any of you have any idea what else can be creating this noise. It does NOT sound like wind noise or a whistle of any kind, just a squeeking/creaking/rattle. It is very faint and easily drowned out by the radio, but when I was a peaceful ride I have to listen to this. The vehicle has less than 100 miles on it so I would like to see no issues, ya know? So any ideas you guys can throw my way to have the mechanic look at would be fantastic!

Thanks to everyone on this forum, the info I've read so far has been helpful already! Everyone who has seen this Ford Edge has become instantly envious and I'm proud and happy to own it. It's a fantastic ride and will definitely be useful to own. Thanks so much!

At 65MPH you may be hearing some small suspension creaking due ground fluctuations moving your suspension. Have them check all the bushings and maybe drive in quiet neighborhood with your window down to see if you can hear it at lower speeds.

Shouldn't have any creaks on a new vehicle.

I did have the TSB for the mirror done however I still get wind noise coming from the top edge of the drivers door. I believe it is buffering on the jambs where the 2 doors meet at the top cause the gasket does not make contact there.

At 65MPH you may be hearing some small suspension creaking due ground fluctuations moving your suspension. Have them check all the bushings and maybe drive in quiet neighborhood with your window down to see if you can hear it at lower speeds.

This actually makes a lot of sense because I initially noticed the creakin noise when I was in the left lane of the highway and my tire was nearing the bumpier pavement towards the edge. The sound does not let up after changing lanes, but it is worth looking in to. Thanks for the advice here, hopefully this is it! I'll post the solution when I find it so that others who experience the issue can have an idea of what to look for.

alright, the service department at my dealership took a look at the door and discovered that 3 of the clips into the door are not clipping in and staying clipped in. They are liking to pop back out and have been deemed "broken" haha. They have ordered new clips and I'll take the car back in for a quick 10 minute replacement once they arrive. I bet this is the source of the door noise since the door panel doesn't have 3 clips it is probably able to wiggle on the door frame to generate a rattling/creaking noise (or the clips themselves are rattling/creaking). I'm still going to observe the suspension noise to check other possibilities, but I will post here in the next couple days whether or not the clips solved the problem. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Shouldn't have any creaks on a new vehicle.

I did have the TSB for the mirror done however I still get wind noise coming from the top edge of the drivers door. I believe it is buffering on the jambs where the 2 doors meet at the top cause the gasket does not make contact there.

Putting -1 on all my comments that you find is quite petty and childish... but I can play that way too.

• Like 1

alright, the service department at my dealership took a look at the door and discovered that 3 of the clips into the door are not clipping in and staying clipped in. They are liking to pop back out and have been deemed "broken" haha. They have ordered new clips and I'll take the car back in for a quick 10 minute replacement once they arrive. I bet this is the source of the door noise since the door panel doesn't have 3 clips it is probably able to wiggle on the door frame to generate a rattling/creaking noise (or the clips themselves are rattling/creaking). I'm still going to observe the suspension noise to check other possibilities, but I will post here in the next couple days whether or not the clips solved the problem. Thanks again!

That makes sense... thanks for posting back your findings for others.

• Like 1

just had mine fixed. I could hear noise at 80km/h and up. havent had time to take it to dealer in first few months so finally did it few weeks back. I don't know why but I took a photo of my odometer before leaving the car. they called me that car is done in a few hours so I picked paperwork and went thru everything that was done. Listed road test and adjustments and so on

Well got to the car and checked odometer and they made only 300m - you have to agree but that is bit low for road test

So I took it for test drive (myself) and nothing was done other then lifting the door up. I guess they were hoping that by lifting the door up they will seal tight that rubber.

Called them and told them everything I pretty much could think off (some bad words as well). Called sales guy who sold me the car and told him the same - guy was pissed off.

So they arranged service again got me rental and then finally fixed the car

Car is great now other then having somebody rear ending it few days ago;-). just plastic damage on rear bumper but sucks

Edited by dado

• 1 month later...

Alright, well here is my findings. Apparently the dealership was all out of the door clips that were required to fix the interior door panel so they had to order new ones. This took them a very long time, but they finally got my vehicle in and fixed it. The door panel doesn't wiggle anymore, and it feels great when i lean on it during long highway rides. The noise, however, is still present coming off of the driver side mirror. After talking to my salesman he mentioned that ford does extensive aerodynamic testing to prevent noises like that (so he was shocked). i took those words into consideration and finally i have determined that the noise is coming from where the mirror attaches to the door itself, so there is something in there.. i must say though, that ever since the door clips on the interior door panel were replaced, the noise has been more tolerable and somewhat quieter (but is still there). it doesn't really bother me anymore, and i love this vehicle too much so i am completely able to overlook it. perhaps at some other point i will be able to take it in to the shop prior to 36,000 miles and get it fixed. supposedly there was a TSB out for this thing, but apparently not according to the service department. they look and couldnt find one. google searching TSB's for a 2011 Ford Edge produces no results, and most sites state there are no TSB's out yet. Interesting. I'm sure a lot of these issues will be resolved in the next year or so. So to recap:

Door panel clips replaced = less noise off the driver side mirror, but it is still there nonetheless.

No TSBs for the Ford Edge 2011 that I can find (or the dealer for that matter)

I hope this helps some of you, but I doubt it.. this wasn't the news any of us were looking for, but im sure it'll be addressed in the next year.. i hope...