New Spark Plugs

edgemaster

Hi,

I'm wondering how big a deal it is to replace the spark plugs on the 2007 engine (about 90k mi)?

It appears that Ford had a bunch of "weird" spark plug problems on some 2004 - 2007 engines. They claimed that the plugs didn't have to be replaced until they reach 100k miles but a number of them broke off because they were "baked" solid in he head.

Is this one of those cursed engines?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi,

I'm wondering how big a deal it is to replace the spark plugs on the 2007 engine (about 90k mi)?

It appears that Ford had a bunch of "weird" spark plug problems on some 2004 - 2007 engines. They claimed that the plugs didn't have to be replaced until they reach 100k miles but a number of them broke off because they were "baked" solid in he head.

Is this one of those cursed engines?

Thanks,

Ed

It's not unique to the Edge - all aluminum heads are prone to the plugs freezing. You don't need to actually change them - just loosen and reinstall them - maybe with some anti-seize.

If I can get them loose, I might as well replace them.

My main question was, how big a deal is it? Do I have to remove half the stuff in the engine compartment before I can get to them in the first place?

The front side is obviously not a problem but the backside is a nightmare to work in! Wash and degrease the engine so you will be working in as clean of an environment as possible.

The intake will need to come out, all 9,000 (it seems) pieces of it. Keep things really clean by covering the exposed intake with plastic. Keep every piece of dirt out of the area. Make sure you have a good plug socket and a universal joint to reach down the spark plug tube. Having a slim extension between the universal joint and the ratchet will help out too.

Good luck and take your time!!!