whats this button for?

I was cleaning the interior of my edge and found a button at the base of the rear view mirror where it mounts to the window. its on top of the base. I pushed it. nothing happened. whats it for? anyone have a clue.... oh yeah and the owners manual says nothing about it.

I was cleaning the interior of my edge and found a button at the base of the rear view mirror where it mounts to the window. its on top of the base. I pushed it. nothing happened. whats it for? anyone have a clue.... oh yeah and the owners manual says nothing about it.

There are several Ford engineers sitting in a break room laughing while watching a computer monitor.

I believe this is a result of parts bin sharing among Fords. My '03 Explorer had it. It's for recalibrating the compass when it gets out of sync and/or when you move to a different geographic part of North America. But the Edge has a built-in info center and they've incorporated the compass recalibration into it - the button is not needed nor is it described in the owner's manual. See pages 100-101 for compass recalibration instructions using the info menu.

Hope this provides enlightenment.

• 1 month later...
I was cleaning the interior of my edge and found a button at the base of the rear view mirror where it mounts to the window. its on top of the base.

I have the Vista Roof, and in my owners manual, it cautions against using it, unless traveling above 12 mph. I guess it's only active if you have the roof open, and it's for the passenger rocket assisted escape seat. If my wife nags me one more time about my driving I will ask her to push it, and then I can refer to her as "My first wife...."

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Vista Roof, and in my owners manual, it cautions against using it, unless traveling above 12 mph. I guess it's only active if you have the roof open, and it's for the passenger rocket assisted escape seat. If my wife nags me one more time about my driving I will ask her to push it, and then I can refer to her as "My first wife...."

hahahhaha I hear you dude, i recently got married, and im already feelin you on that one :hysterical:

• 1 year later...

Actually, you're not that far off. It does have to do ONLY with the EDGE's loaded with the VISTA ROOF.

Open the VISTA ROOF fully, and you'll see in the front of it the wind breaking screen starts to come up (the mesh screen that looks like crap from the front of the car when your VISTA ROOF is open).

That button cancels the lifting of that wind breaking screen.

I thought that was the BEST IDEA they ever had... cuz that little screen really looks ridiculous while it's up.

I have mine deactivated and I get no wind noise, unless I get at speeds over 60mph, at which point I would close the Vista Roof anyway...

Actually, you're not that far off. It does have to do ONLY with the EDGE's loaded with the VISTA ROOF.

Open the VISTA ROOF fully, and you'll see in the front of it the wind breaking screen starts to come up (the mesh screen that looks like crap from the front of the car when your VISTA ROOF is open).

That button cancels the lifting of that wind breaking screen.

I thought that was the BEST IDEA they ever had... cuz that little screen really looks ridiculous while it's up.

I have mine deactivated and I get no wind noise, unless I get at speeds over 60mph, at which point I would close the Vista Roof anyway...

Hmm thats interesting considering the bug catcher is a spring loaded mechanical mechanism not electric.

Hmm thats interesting considering the bug catcher is a spring loaded mechanical mechanism not electric.

Seems to me that the EDGE's sold in Canada have a few differences to the ones sold in the US..... That's interesting. I was reading up about the reply on the spring loaded mechanish....and apparently it wasnt approved for use in Canada...that and something else on the emittions system and a couple of other things are different between the Canadian Edge and the American.

My EDGE was built in Missisauga I think....somewhere out in Eastern Canada.

I had no idea of this things til I saw this website. Interesting.

Like the LIMITED with the full nav system/ sync/ sirius/ headrest screens and all.... comes with the 14 (or is it 16) speaker THX audio system that in the US is only available on the lincoln vehicles.

I find that extremely interesting.

I think i'm gonna have to be careful when I order parts for my EDGE out of the US. Who knows what else is different between them.

The interesting thing is that you have to actually be at the dealer to realize there are THX systems available on the EDGE's up here, cuz there's no mention of it on the website... but they do make reference to the 17in brake upgrade when you order the 20inch wheel package.

Whao... this site is very educational. It has made me more aware of things.

btw, is that really the function of that net??? is it really a bug catcher???

I thought it was to reduce wind noise when the roof is open.... sorta like BMW puts those sexy corrugated pieces that cut the wind to avoide noise.

I should have known though... they would have made such an ugly net if it was meant to break the wind from coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting at a light, I decided to hold mine down. The msg center displayed something about pressing reset to reset Zone 8, I decided not to. I pressed it again and it said to press reset to recalibrate, or info to exit. I pressed info. Maybe it has something to do with the compass that's in that little box. If you unplug the harness to the box, you wil hear a 'ding' and your msg center will tell you that it cannot read or find the compass.

• 2 months later...

OK, so I have not been here for several months, and this reply is a bit late, but along the lines of what buttons do ...

Shortly after getting my Edge last January, I was riding down the road with my father as a passenger, when I felt the need to use the "Pass Airbag Off" button, but it is not functional in my vehicle. A friend claims it is only an indicator light, but I am still holding out hope I can get it fixed! :shades:

OK, so I have not been here for several months, and this reply is a bit late, but along the lines of what buttons do ...

Shortly after getting my Edge last January, I was riding down the road with my father as a passenger, when I felt the need to use the "Pass Airbag Off" button, but it is not functional in my vehicle. A friend claims it is only an indicator light, but I am still holding out hope I can get it fixed! :shades:

It is only a light. The pass. seat measures the pass's weight and turns the bag on/off acc'dly.

I can put a switch there if you would like.

Actually I could. I designed the circuit boards that are used in those two switch assemblies.

My previous employer of 16 years was a third tier supplier to Ford.

The same boards with different colored lights and switch options were also used in Explorers, Mustangs, and other vehicles for a few years.

Airbag would never be allowed to be defeated with the push of a simple switch. Too much liability.

When they first put that option in pick-up trucks it had to be controlled by a key

I can put a switch there if you would like.

Actually I could. I designed the circuit boards that are used in those two switch assemblies.

My previous employer of 16 years was a third tier supplier to Ford.

The same boards with different colored lights and switch options were also used in Explorers, Mustangs, and other vehicles for a few years.

Airbag would never be allowed to be defeated with the push of a simple switch. Too much liability.

When they first put that option in pick-up trucks it had to be controlled by a key

A little late to explain the punchline now, but I was obviously not sharing enough of the situation for others to follow what I was saying.

It was on a long drive from the KC area back to Ohio where I grew up (and where my dad still lives). Our conversation had drifted onto one of those topics where dad was not able to resist the urge to offer some sage advice. It was then that I reached over and started enthusiastically trying to activate the "Pass Airbag Off" "button". When he did not immediately stop with his current topic, I made some statement to the effect that this darn button doesn't work!

Once he realized I was jokingly telling him I got the point and he can hush, we got a good laugh out of it and moved on to another topic.

Sorry for butchering it before, but it made perfect sense in my mind! :hysterical: