Exhaust Smell

• 3 months later...

I also have this smell. in mine it is so bad that you get headaches and nauseus (? sp). i dropped it off at the dealer thinking the cats were plugged. dealer said everything checked out ok on the exhaust. they couldnt find anything wrong so after they replaced teh cabin filter they asked me to pick it up. I politely refused until they fix it. They aparently never drove the car to actually get a whiff of the smell. after driving the car around, the service manager called me back and said that he smelled the odor but has no clue what it could be. first, they guessed maybe a mouse died in the car somewhere. after tearing the car apart and not finding a mouse, they sent a message to fords technician bulletin. appaerently, the awd system has been reported to be the culprit and they have no fix for this yet. ford told the dealer to give me the car back and run it on recirc until they find a solution. supposedly running on recirc will minimize the amount of fumes coming into the car. my service manager told them no way is he returning a customers car that gets him sick. so for now we wait to hear what else ford will propse to do. at least i get to drive a beautiful sea foam green focus.........

By the way, i have a 2011 ford edge sport with 15,000 miles.

Thanks,

pete

Mine has 2500km and i smell burned fumes coming out of my exhaust system for 1 week now.

Going to turn it in for a check.

I also have this smell. in mine it is so bad that you get headaches and nauseus (? sp). i dropped it off at the dealer thinking the cats were plugged. dealer said everything checked out ok on the exhaust. they couldnt find anything wrong so after they replaced teh cabin filter they asked me to pick it up. I politely refused until they fix it. They aparently never drove the car to actually get a whiff of the smell. after driving the car around, the service manager called me back and said that he smelled the odor but has no clue what it could be. first, they guessed maybe a mouse died in the car somewhere. after tearing the car apart and not finding a mouse, they sent a message to fords technician bulletin. appaerently, the awd system has been reported to be the culprit and they have no fix for this yet. ford told the dealer to give me the car back and run it on recirc until they find a solution. supposedly running on recirc will minimize the amount of fumes coming into the car. my service manager told them no way is he returning a customers car that gets him sick. so for now we wait to hear what else ford will propse to do. at least i get to drive a beautiful sea foam green focus.........

By the way, i have a 2011 ford edge sport with 15,000 miles.

Thanks,

pete

Is this a PTU leak?

• 1 month later...

they found no leaks anywhere on the vehicle. ford is sending out a field engineer to look at it.

[/quot

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM AND UP UNTIL NOW I CHOSE TO READ AND BE QUIET. I HAVE A 2010 EDGE FWD. MY ONLY COMPLANT AT THIS TIME IS I GET WHAT

APPEAR TO BE AN EXHAUST SMELL. FROM TIME TO TIME I WILL DRIVE 80 MPH TO GET AWAY FROM TRAFFIC. WHEN I SLOW DOWN IS WHEN I GET THE SMELL.

I WILL BE WATCHING YOUR OUTCOME.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

totally spamming the forum today LOL, but if it helps some one searching later...

my PTO seal failed and the only reason we noticed was because of the smell of the oil dripping on the exhaust, not a spot on the garage floor just a drip every now and then... wasn't for the perfect placement of the exhaust under the leak, it would get absorbed by the dust.

OH Yeah, and we are taking it in for the second time for the same problem. makes me wonder if the shaft is out of balance,

Also... the service manager said if it continues he will be ordering a new case as he has had to change more than one before.

• 3 months later...

totally spamming the forum today LOL, but if it helps some one searching later...

my PTO seal failed and the only reason we noticed was because of the smell of the oil dripping on the exhaust, not a spot on the garage floor just a drip every now and then... wasn't for the perfect placement of the exhaust under the leak, it would get absorbed by the dust.

OH Yeah, and we are taking it in for the second time for the same problem. makes me wonder if the shaft is out of balance,

Also... the service manager said if it continues he will be ordering a new case as he has had to change more than one before.

I've had my PTU replaced twice and I still have the smell issue. It did seem to go away for a little while after the fix.

In my case, I have a hard time reproducing the issue at the dealer. It seems to really happen after having driven about 40 minutes on the freeway (commuting to and fro work), then the smell hits when I come to a stop. I think I'll drive to work and back just to reproduce the issue, for next time I ask the dealer to look at this.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has a burning smell (almost like hair burning) when I accerlerate fast from 40-75 onto the freeway. It takes about 15 seconds to kick in. It lasts for about a minute and then goes away. Only under hard acceleration. Worse with the a/c on recirc.

Dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. Oh, its a brand new vechicle. less than 3k on it right now. I took him for a ride, and I smelled it but he says he didn't. They said they sent Ford a notice to see if there was anything like it; no response.

• Like 1

Mine has a burning smell (almost like hair burning) when I accerlerate fast from 40-75 onto the freeway. It takes about 15 seconds to kick in. It lasts for about a minute and then goes away. Only under hard acceleration. Worse with the a/c on recirc.

Dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. Oh, its a brand new vechicle. less than 3k on it right now. I took him for a ride, and I smelled it but he says he didn't. They said they sent Ford a notice to see if there was anything like it; no response.

Mike, do you smell the exhaust while you're accelerating? Or does it become apparent when you come to a stop (with the vents pumping in fresh air)?

I've been suspecting that the issue does have to do with hard acceleration. When I tried to reproduce the issue with the service tech in the car I did not gun it as I usually do after getting past the congested part of my daily commute. I'm pretty sure the dealer took it easy too, when they tried to reproduce the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed this smell on the NON-AWD models? I have a 2009 SEL and I am getting a strong odor only outside the vehicle not in the cab. But I am wondering if I should start my fight with ford now since in am well within my CERTIFIED warenty.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with 7k miles and the same problem, A smell of hair burning under hard acceleration condition and the A/C in recirc mode, The Dealer couldn´t find anything wrong, (they have searched for signals of burned oil in transmission, ptu, engine, oil leaks, etc...) but they smelled it in a test. It seems to have some correlation with the transmission, not the engine. let me know if you find the solution, please.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with 7k miles and the same problem, A smell of hair burning under hard acceleration condition and the A/C in recirc mode, The Dealer couldn´t find anything wrong, (they have searched for signals of burned oil in transmission, ptu, engine, oil leaks, etc...) but they smelled it in a test. It seems to have some correlation with the transmission, not the engine. let me know if you find the solution, please.

My smell is there after 8k. I plan to take it back, but I don't think they will do anything. For now, if I am accelerating hard onto the freeway I have to turn the a/c to fresh instead of recirc for a few minutes, and then put it back to recirc. Sucks, but it works. Down here you need to have it on recirc or it never feels cold.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I own a 2007 Ford Edge SEL with 98K miles. The PTU failed and was replaced by the Ford dealer yesterday. I was not surprised by this as I have been reading about PTU problems here and other places since I experienced the PTU seal leak "smell" shortly after I bought this SUV in May of 2010 at about 55K miles. I had the seal replaced once, but continued to notice the smell as it came and went. I had it back twice for leak checks, but the dealer claimed it was not leaking. I talked to a lawyer with the SeegerWeiss law firm today to get my Ford Edge experience on record for their potential class action suit. You can contct them here: http://www.seegerweiss.com/law-practices/class-actions/product-liability-actions/ford-edge-ptu-failures/

• 2 months later...

Have a Ford Edge 2012..done 10K kms now. Have the smell issue while accelerating hard, took to the Ford Service center in Dubai and they are saying it is an exhaust inside the cabin opening up when accelarating remove the cabin pressure....!!!%^^$%%????

And he is like will get it fixed soon but dont know when???

• Like 1

Hello Tariq,

That's about the best diagnosis I've heard of this issue so far. I've had my PTU seal replaced twice and it did not make a difference. The last time I discussed this with a technician he suspected that exhaust gases are entering the cabin, but I have not had the time to follow up on it yet. Sorry to hear that they did not have a fix for you, but as you know, you're not alone.

Are there any other details you could share with us about this issue? Each time I try to address this problem with the dealer, I first have to take their focus off the PTU issue. It'd be helpful to reference another case, like yours.

Sounds like in Dubai they are bit more forthcoming about the real problem.

• 1 month later...
I own a 2007 Ford Edge SEL with 98K miles. The PTU failed and was replaced by the Ford dealer yesterday. I was not surprised by this as I have been reading about PTU problems here and other places since I experienced the PTU seal leak "smell" shortly after I bought this SUV in May of 2010 at about 55K miles. I had the seal replaced once, but continued to notice the smell as it came and went. I had it back twice for leak checks, but the dealer claimed it was not leaking. I talked to a lawyer with the SeegerWeiss law firm today to get my Ford Edge experience on record for their potential class action suit. You can contct them here: http://www.seegerweiss.com/law-practices/class-actions/product-liability-actions/ford-edge-ptu-failures/

Hi John can you tell me what the smell was like of the PTU leak, was it like an oil smell or a sweet smell ?

thank you Wayne