Plasti dip?

jlong

I just discovered this stuff today. I'm going to do the front grill and rear emblem and possibly the chrome trim on my 2008 black limited. This stuff looks really cool because if you don't like it you just peal it off. You can even paint over it or clear coat it for a shiny finish and still peal it off. Not sure when I'll get around to doing it though, I'll take pics of before and after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepjODal1D0

If you look on youtube you can find all kinds of vids on it.

I just discovered this stuff today. I'm going to do the front grill and rear emblem and possibly the chrome trim on my 2008 black limited. This stuff looks really cool because if you don't like it you just peal it off. You can even paint over it or clear coat it for a shiny finish and still peal it off. Not sure when I'll get around to doing it though, I'll take pics of before and after.

MANY have done plastidip mods to their cars. There's even a member here that coated his rims in the stuff and they came out fantastic.

I would test the adhesion and how hard it is to remove on a particular surface before going crazy though.

I did my Volvo 850 grille about 4+ years ago and it still perfect... which is more than I can say for the hood paint surrounding it. dry.gif

im reallly thinking of doing this to my wheels... i was going to get some nice black 20's but just found out i have another kid on the way so that went out the door...

my only worry is that it will start peeling off after have the car washed...

im reallly thinking of doing this to my wheels... i was going to get some nice black 20's but just found out i have another kid on the way so that went out the door...

my only worry is that it will start peeling off after have the car washed...

It won't peel from washing.

I've washed my volvo grille a hundred times and its still like the day I painted it.

so i went and bought some to do my grill and wheels... im not 100% satisfied with the finish... i have only done my grill so far to test it out and i thought it would come out smoother... it has a grainy look to it.

not sure if it was me that made it look this way but i have painted many grills and cars before but with actual paint....

before IMG-20110804-00026.jpg

after IMG_0438.jpg

I think it looks great. How many coats is that?

More coats will smooth out the finish.

thats about 4 coats... almost a full can... i would say 50% of it is smooth but there are a few sports that got rough... almost like if the can nozzle got clogged....

• 1 month later...

I did the emblems on the wife's IS250 with plastidip. It turned out well. Gonna do the edge soon. Just gotta figure out how to take the emblems off first.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

if you are going to dip the emblems there is no need to remove them from the car. if you go to dip your car.com or search for them on you tube there is a tutorial on how to do it. basically you just mask off an area around the emblems, spray the desired amount of coats, peel tape and peel the dip from around the emblems. the plasti-dip tends to follow edges (like that on an emblem) automatically.

but if you do want to remove the emblem, dental floss or fishing string and a pair of gloves will do the trick

Edited by bdevillier19