Ford Edge Gets 2.0L Ecoboost - 30 miles per gallon

Edge Guide

Ford Edge with New EcoBoost 2.0L Engine Delivers EPA-Rated 30 MPG Highway, Great Performance

• The popular Ford Edge crossover with EcoBoost® power is EPA-rated at an economical 30 mpg highway and 21 mpg city

• Ford Edge with EcoBoost is now the 13th Ford model/powertrain combination to deliver an EPA fuel economy rating of 30 mpg or more

• EcoBoost, combining smaller engines and turbocharging, is a global Ford engine technology that gives customers the power they want and the fuel efficiency they need

• EcoBoost vehicles have been successful at attracting new customers to the Blue Oval brand, leading the Ford product portfolio in conquest sales

FRD2011062044983_PV.jpg

Ford Edge Forum – The Ford Edge crossover, the latest vehicle to receive the company’s EcoBoost® 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, is now certified by the EPA to deliver 30 mpg highway. This complements the best-in-class Edge V6 fuel economy to give utility customers expanded fuel efficient choices.

“Fuel efficiency is important to our customers,” said Amy Marentic, group marketing manager, Large Cars and Crossovers. “Adding the EcoBoost engine to the new Ford Edge crossover makes for 13 vehicles delivering 30 mpg or more in the Ford showroom.”

FRD2011062044980_PV.jpg

The Ford Edge delivers 30 mpg on the highway, besting all SUVs its size or larger, in addition to cars such as the Honda Civic Si and the Saab 9-3 automatic. The only competitive utilities offering higher highway fuel economy than Edge with EcoBoost are a few smaller-size vehicles such as the Ford Escape Hybrid.

Combining gasoline direct injection and turbocharging with smaller overall displacement, this advanced new EcoBoost engine delivers the power of a normally aspirated V6, yet delivers four-cylinder fuel efficiency.

EcoBoost has been successful at attracting new, more upscale customers to the Ford showroom. Taurus SHO and Flex with EcoBoost lead the Ford lineup for car and utility conquesting. More than half of all Taurus SHO buyers are new to the Ford brand, and more than 62 percent of Flex with EcoBoost buyers had not previously considered a Ford product.

With popular F-150 pickup trucks now offering an EcoBoost option, sales of Ford vehicles with this advanced technology have crested 70,000 units and the F-150 EcoBoost now accounts for 41 percent of total F-150 sales, making it the top-selling full-sized V6 pickup truck on the market.

EcoBoost is a global Ford engine to provide affordable fuel efficiency for millions of drivers, while delivering the power they desire. By the end of 2011, Ford will have built nearly 180,000 EcoBoost-powered vehicles in North America. EcoBoost will be offered in 90 percent of Ford vehicles by 2013. Ford holds more than 125 patents on its EcoBoost engine technology.

13 at 30 or more

Adding a fuel-efficient EcoBoost engine to the popular Edge crossover means the Ford showroom now offers customers a choice among 13 model/powertrain variations that deliver an EPA fuel economy rating of 30 mpg or more.

These Ford offerings are listed here with their respective city/highway EPA-rated fuel economy estimates:

Edge with EcoBoost: 21 mpg/30 mpg

Escape Hybrid FWD: 34 mpg/31 mpg

Escape Hybrid AWD: 30 mpg/27 mpg

Fiesta five-speed manual: 29 mpg/37 mpg

Fiesta automatic: 29 mpg/38 mpg

Fiesta SFE automatic: 29 mpg/40 mpg

Focus five-speed manual: 29 mpg/37 mpg

Focus automatic: 28 mpg/38 mpg

Focus SFE automatic: 28 mpg/40 mpg

Fusion 2.5-liter automatic: 23 mpg/33 mpg

Fusion Hybrid: 41 mpg/36 mpg

Mustang 3.7-liter Coupe automatic: 19 mpg/31 mpg

Mustang 3.7-liter Convertible automatic: 19 mpg/30 mpg

Edge fuel-saving technologies

Building on Edge V6 best-in-class highway fuel economy, the EcoBoost powertrain makes Edge an even more economical proposition.

This advanced EcoBoost four-cylinder engine provides the optimum balance between fuel efficiency and responsive power, delivering 240 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and a generous 270 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm. Edge with EcoBoost delivers comparable fuel economy to Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, yet offers utility shoppers a responsive choice as Edge provides a 58 horsepower advantage over these compact General Motors offerings.

The Edge with EcoBoost combination of superior fuel efficiency and ample responsiveness is enabled by direct gasoline injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT).

Efficiency is further enhanced through employment of low-friction 5W-GF5 motor oil, a variable-displacement air conditioning compressor and a unique 6F35 six-speed automatic transmission optimized for fuel efficiency through employment of active transmission warm-up to help reduce internal friction as the powertrain approaches normal operating temperature.

Edge with EcoBoost also introduces category-exclusive active grille shutters. These variable grille slats close as vehicle speed increases to improve aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.

Production location

The 2012 Edge with EcoBoost is produced at the Oakville Assembly Complex in Ontario, Canada.

I just read the article that the 2012 Explorer with the 2.0 Ecoboost is posted 20mpg City and 28MPG Highway. I know this article was a press release, but I don't doubt the Edge can provide 30mpg on the Highway (I'm surprised the projection isn't 31)

I think the Torque rating is amazing on this motor, too.

• 4 months later...

I want to follow-up on this with my limited first hand experience. Yesterday I did my third complete fill-up at 1,266 miles. Since I've always measured my fuel economy by actual gallons vs. miles, I feel most comfortable with this method. However, the capless fueling system makes it extremely difficult as it does not allow me to have a good sense of how full I actually am. Therefore I could be all the way up the filler neck, half a gallon under, or a gallon under. In my first two fillups I've 'trickled' two gallons of gas into the tank after the nozzle wanted to shut off from the very lowest setting. Thus my old methadology may not be very accurate.

In any case, here are my preliminary numbers:

Odometer: 12 miles - Brand new and I just topped it off to ensure I was at a full starting point.

Odometer: 392 miles, 16.9 gallons of regular with 380 miles driven for an average of about 22.5 MPG - note I was dealing with really bad stop and go due to rain and icing for a couple of days.

Odometer: 805 miles, 16.65 gallons of regular with 413 miles driven for an average of about 24.8 MPG - my standard daily commute of stop and go traffic without the rain and icing making it worse (Note that 25 MPG is the official combined rating)

Odometer: 1266 miles, 16.4 gallons of regular with 461 miles driven for an average of 28.11 MPG. I was doing a bit more highway driving along with my morning commute.

The vehicle is rated at 21 city, 25 combined, and 30 highway so I think the official figures are looking pretty realistic. As additional factors, I'm using 'winter gas', but am obviously not using the air conditioner now although I am using the defroster a bit.

It will be a while before I take an all highway trip to sort out that figure, but here is what I'm seeing from the display. If I'm driving in the upper 50's to 60 MPH my display is showing between 33 MPG and 34 MPG. It's just me, no load, and I'm purposefully trying to avoid rapid accelerations as I do note that it drops the average efficiency quickly. If I increase my speed to about 65 MPH for a while my display shows about 31 MPG. If I'm at 70 MPH, the display is showing about 29 to 30 MPG. If I understand the manual correctly, the most efficient speed should be at around 55 MPH with efficiency declining as you increase from there. That's what I'm seeing.

I want to follow-up on this with my limited first hand experience. Yesterday I did my third complete fill-up at 1,266 miles. Since I've always measured my fuel economy by actual gallons vs. miles, I feel most comfortable with this method. However, the capless fueling system makes it extremely difficult as it does not allow me to have a good sense of how full I actually am. Therefore I could be all the way up the filler neck, half a gallon under, or a gallon under. In my first two fillups I've 'trickled' two gallons of gas into the tank after the nozzle wanted to shut off from the very lowest setting. Thus my old methadology may not be very accurate.

In any case, here are my preliminary numbers:

Odometer: 12 miles - Brand new and I just topped it off to ensure I was at a full starting point.

Odometer: 392 miles, 16.9 gallons of regular with 380 miles driven for an average of about 22.5 MPG - note I was dealing with really bad stop and go due to rain and icing for a couple of days.

Odometer: 805 miles, 16.65 gallons of regular with 413 miles driven for an average of about 24.8 MPG - my standard daily commute of stop and go traffic without the rain and icing making it worse (Note that 25 MPG is the official combined rating)

Odometer: 1266 miles, 16.4 gallons of regular with 461 miles driven for an average of 28.11 MPG. I was doing a bit more highway driving along with my morning commute.

The vehicle is rated at 21 city, 25 combined, and 30 highway so I think the official figures are looking pretty realistic. As additional factors, I'm using 'winter gas', but am obviously not using the air conditioner now although I am using the defroster a bit.

It will be a while before I take an all highway trip to sort out that figure, but here is what I'm seeing from the display. If I'm driving in the upper 50's to 60 MPH my display is showing between 33 MPG and 34 MPG. It's just me, no load, and I'm purposefully trying to avoid rapid accelerations as I do note that it drops the average efficiency quickly. If I increase my speed to about 65 MPH for a while my display shows about 31 MPG. If I'm at 70 MPH, the display is showing about 29 to 30 MPG. If I understand the manual correctly, the most efficient speed should be at around 55 MPH with efficiency declining as you increase from there. That's what I'm seeing.

I am using the premium gas from Costco, and here in the WestCoast I am averaging about 35-36 mpg per US gallon at a speed of 55 mph. Previously I had the 2012 Focus and I did extensive testing in the summer and the premium more then accounted for the minimal increase in fuel cost. From research that I have done I noted that the rated hp and torque figures put out by Ford always referred to premium or 91 octane fuel. I know it runs well on regular but far better on premium and better gas mileage to boot.

I would love to know my MPG at a sustained 55 MPH but unfortunately here in Michigan I'd be impeding traffic quite a bit, even in a 55 zone. I ignited a technical discussion about the use of premium fuel in the Ecoboost in an earlier thread. I think the technical experts were saying it wouldn't make a difference. Once I get a solid feel for regular, I'll try it anyway. I may wait until spring as the day to day driving conditions here change significantly due to snow and ice so it's hard to get a good feel for things.

• 1 month later...

As of this evenings fill-up I have 3,263 miles on the odometer. I have calculated my fuel use at 25.2 MPG based on the fuel that I've put into the tank. My driving profile for this is 90% highway, rush hour traffic during my stop and go commute on winter gas. I've never had more than half an hour of straight, highway driving yet although that has shown an MPG of between 29 and 33 depending on the speed - going by the meter.

• 1 month later...

As of this evenings fill-up I have 3,263 miles on the odometer. I have calculated my fuel use at 25.2 MPG based on the fuel that I've put into the tank. My driving profile for this is 90% highway, rush hour traffic during my stop and go commute on winter gas. I've never had more than half an hour of straight, highway driving yet although that has shown an MPG of between 29 and 33 depending on the speed - going by the meter.

Another update:

Yesterday I reached 5,276 miles and my 15th fill-up. The mileage continues to be 90% daily commute in stop and go rush hour traffic. I have not yet taken a long highway trip. My combined MPG after all these miles is 25.5. The first five fill-ups provided an average of 24.4 MPG, the second five fill-ups yielded 26.3 MPG, and the last five averaged out to 25.8 MPG. The worst single tank was the first one at 22.5 and the best tank came in at 30 in early January.

Observations:

First, I think that the transmission shifting has become much smoother since I started driving the vehicle. It initially had an occassional 'thunk' sensation which has gone away. I think it's more due to transmission break-in than anything that I'm doing differently. Second, MPG is absolutely impacted by driving style. My wife is a proud lead foot driver who now seems to be delaying trips to the store so that she can use the Edge when I get home. I'll arrive at home with a nice 26 to 27 MPG rating on the dash meter and she returns it with a 22 MPG rating 5 to 10 miles later. That really messed with my MPG average from the last five fill-ups.

I should note that my wife has a very well equipped diesel Mercedes with only 18,000 miles on the odometer. While she loves that car, it really is a compliment to Ford that she seems to prefer the Edge. The MFT screen and external plug in options are far more user friendly then what she has in her car.

Edited by Gimp

• 4 weeks later...

I have not put enough miles on my Eco yet, I got it with 4.9 miles on it, put about 50 miles on it today. No noticable shifts in the trans, it feels more like a CVT trans than a regular auto. The highest I have gotten on the highway was 31mpg on a 15 mile straight with a good head wind. I took back roads on the way back to get more of a feel for the car in stop and go traffic. That brought it down to roughly 24mpg. I have also heard the first 1500 miles will also yield the worst mileage for the vehichle as the motor breaks in.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 1000 miles on the truck and continue to get poor mileage. 16.1mpg aroung town and 23 highway. If I wanted this kind of mileage I could have bought the V6 AWD. Very disappointed.

With an Ecoboost engine? What is your driving time like? Do you have a lot of idling during your town driving and what kind of speeds are you driving on the highway?

At my last fill-up I had 6,420 miles with a total fuel use of 254 gallons for a combined average MPG of 25.3. It would be better than this except for that 10% of the miles that my wife drives it. You could say that she enjoys engaging that turbo when the light turns green The vast majority of my miles are coming from 76 miles per day of stop and go rush hour traffic on the highway. I really can't understand how you're getting that kind of poor mileage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Last weekend I took my Ecoboost on its first extended road trip. I was carrying a canoe on my roof so that obviously introduced a lot of drag and reduced fuel economy, but the results were interesting. On the outbound (mainly) highway part of my trip my fill-up reflected 26.8 MPG. Due to the boat I generally kept my speed at 72 MPH. The next tank was used on paved side roads with a 55 MPH speed limit, as well as lots of slower driving on windy gravel and dirt roads in a national forest that yielded a 25.9 MPG. The highway ride home involved some significant head and side winds and the last tank down to a 24.8 MPG average. It was interesting to watch the fuel meter during the return trip. You could see the immediate effect of increased drag from the head winds as the average would drop, similiar to when you are climbing a hill. One of these days I hope to make a long road trip without the canoe or canoe rack to see how my MPG works out then.