updated 10/21 Painted my headlights New exhaust vid up

So i finally manned up and painted the inside of the housing and let me tell you.. it was not fun. The new sealant is a nightmare to take apart.

all that aside I got it done and resealed with OEM nissan sealant. Wrapping the chrome was pretty straight forward just take your time with it.

heres the finished product

project coming up

TL retrofits.. stay tuned

310291_2101434096023_1250550116_31912294_1033669460_n.jpg

updated 9/8/11

IMAG0705.jpg

Quad 4 inch tips

IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0656.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

questions comments shoot me a PM

i will post more pics later

Edited by whiteis33
  • Like 2

Nice job on the chrome and the headlights. Do you still have the OEM projectors or did you retrofit them with something else while you had them apart?

I installed a set of 6000K HIDs in my Sport and I like the color but I don't like the cutoff pattern with the original projectors so I've been thinking of doing a retrofit with something better.

Nice job on the chrome and the headlights. Do you still have the OEM projectors or did you retrofit them with something else while you had them apart?

I installed a set of 6000K HIDs in my Sport and I like the color but I don't like the cutoff pattern with the original projectors so I've been thinking of doing a retrofit with something better.

i still have the stock projectors

i ordered some E55 projectors along with a new housing... i have a feeling these may leak

hahah well i drive a supercharged cobalt and i do all the work to my car..so im not affraid to admit it is my mothers :)

she was supposed to get a 2011 SEL with the optional 20 inch wheels but opted for the used route and bought a 2010 SE...il end up throwing on some classy aftermarket 20's with mild chrome accenting around the car so that she looks stylish

anyway..this kid ^ does some amazing work to his cars..keep it up

hahah well i drive a supercharged cobalt and i do all the work to my car..so im not affraid to admit it is my mothers :)

she was supposed to get a 2011 SEL with the optional 20 inch wheels but opted for the used route and bought a 2010 SE...il end up throwing on some classy aftermarket 20's with mild chrome accenting around the car so that she looks stylish

anyway..this kid ^ does some amazing work to his cars..keep it up

haha thanks man let me know if you need any help with the edge

That looks absolutely sick.

I totally want to black out my lights, but I'm on a lease and have yet to make the ultimate decision.

So, what was all involved in removing the adhesive? Did it just take a lot more baking or was there some more insight involved?

I will post pics of the housing when they were in progress they dont look all that great haha

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same thing on my 650i and will be doing it on my white edge sport that is on order. The BMW lights were really delicate to take apart because of the sensors for auto leveling and adaptive HIDs and the angel eyes.

Very nice ride!

I see you blacked out the kidney insert too.

off topic: I wish the Edge had front parking sensors...

Very nice ride!

I see you blacked out the kidney insert too.

off topic: I wish the Edge had front parking sensors...

Yeah I tried to keep it semi stock looking but clean. Lowered with KW v3 coilovers and some spacers. Also added exhaust and tint but that was about it. Replacing this with the edge. Need to haul my paddleboards and golf clubs. Although the 650 trunk is huge and can fit 4 full golf bags. There is minimal room for back seat passengers. Plus it's got 70K and is a 06. Had it for 3 years with no major issues and was a great car.

Front sensors are useless as it only activates when in reverse unless you actively hit the button.

Edited by NWS Alpine

Yeah I tried to keep it semi stock looking but clean. Lowered with KW v3 coilovers and some spacers. Also added exhaust and tint but that was about it. Replacing this with the edge. Need to haul my paddleboards and golf clubs. Although the 650 trunk is huge and can fit 4 full golf bags. There is minimal room for back seat passengers. Plus it's got 70K and is a 06. Had it for 3 years with no major issues and was a great car.

Front sensors are useless as it only activates when in reverse unless you actively hit the button.

Oh.. that sucks about the sensors.

Just drove a 06 Audi A8L, and the sensors on that thing help parking immensely.

It looks great! I was considering doing something similar. I have some of the same questions as others. What was involved with opening up the lenses? What paint did you use? What did you use to black out the chrome? What did you black out the tail lights with?

I am looking forward to your write up.

-JP

To open the lens you need an oven or heat gun and a whole lot of patience haha

I used Duplicolor black enamel and for the chrome i used plastidip. for the tailights i used VHT tint shade (2 coats)

Also you mentioned E55 projectors. Did you take measurements of the stock halogen projectors when everything was apart? That would be awesome because we could find some nice clear lens (euro) projectors to retrofit for some really nice output. I bought a HID kit but ideally would like to do a retrofit with some nice projectors like the TL bi-xenons or S2K projectors. Don't really need bi-xenon down here though. Would be nice to retrofit some oem ballasts and D2S bulbs.

Possibly these FX projectors that have been modded http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=101

Here are the TL projectors modded with clear lenses http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=125

With some pre-color shifted Phillips 85122+ D2s bulbs http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=148

I have done a retrofit with the E55 projectors from an Audi RS6 and they performed great but were big. I did mod them for some crazy cutoff color though :)

Edited by NWS Alpine

I've got the heat gun and the oven. Which do you recommend?

I would use the head gun to heat up the glue and plastic then go through with a flat head screw driver to lift the plastic. After you have done that put it in the oven for 10 mins at 225-230 and use the screw driver again to pry the lens apart.

Edited by whiteis33

Also you mentioned E55 projectors. Did you take measurements of the stock halogen projectors when everything was apart? That would be awesome because we could find some nice clear lens (euro) projectors to retrofit for some really nice output. I bought a HID kit but ideally would like to do a retrofit with some nice projectors like the TL bi-xenons or S2K projectors. Don't really need bi-xenon down here though. Would be nice to retrofit some oem ballasts and D2S bulbs.

Possibly these FX projectors that have been modded http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=101

Here are the TL projectors modded with clear lenses http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=125

With some pre-color shifted Phillips 85122+ D2s bulbs http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=148

I have done a retrofit with the E55 projectors from an Audi RS6 and they performed great but were big. I did mod them for some crazy cutoff color though :)

I have a spare headlight that i will using for the projectors.

I have an E55 on order and i need to find my FX-Rs

from eyeballing it, the E55 looks like would fit the best with the least amount of modification to the brackets

this weekend ill look into it more

I have a spare headlight that i will using for the projectors.

I have an E55 on order and i need to find my FX-Rs

from eyeballing it, the E55 looks like would fit the best with the least amount of modification to the brackets

this weekend ill look into it more

Awesome. Where can we order spare headlights. I want to work on the retrofit before I get my 2012. Found some more info on the stock projectors. They are actually really good halogen projectors if there is such a thing. I guess that is why we can get decent results from hid kits. Still want to do a true retrofit.

Stock bi-halogen:

9012 AL BiHalogen Projector

http://www.docteroptics.com/index.php?lang=en&p=3073

"Docter Optics, the world market leader in the production of aspheres and free-form lenses for automotive applications, was able to meet these challenging requirements by developing a completely new asphere with a surface consisting of extremely fine microcylinders. The individual microcylinders are what make it possible to shape the light and define its direction and strength with extraordinary precision."

Awesome. Where can we order spare headlights. I want to work on the retrofit before I get my 2012. Found some more info on the stock projectors. They are actually really good halogen projectors if there is such a thing. I guess that is why we can get decent results from hid kits. Still want to do a true retrofit.

Stock bi-halogen:

9012 AL BiHalogen Projector

http://www.docteroptics.com/index.php?lang=en&p=3073

"Docter Optics, the world market leader in the production of aspheres and free-form lenses for automotive applications, was able to meet these challenging requirements by developing a completely new asphere with a surface consisting of extremely fine microcylinders. The individual microcylinders are what make it possible to shape the light and define its direction and strength with extraordinary precision."

i would check ebay i saw a pair for 430 and individuals for 250. i got mine for 60 locally because half the housing was cracked..

and actually if you use a H10 bulb the output is somewhat better from my experience (compared with a 9006)

i would check ebay i saw a pair for 430 and individuals for 250. i got mine for 60 locally because half the housing was cracked..

and actually if you use a H10 bulb the output is somewhat better from my experience (compared with a 9006)

I bought the set from ebay. Going full on retro now. It's on like donkey kong. Hope these housings are big enough for a TL projectors with clear lenses.