Ordering a 2012 Edge Sport

Hey guys I am going to try and test drive a 2011 Edge Sport fwd this weekend. At this point I will be ordering a 2012 vs buying a 2011 since I want to have the minor tweaks that we know about and some that we might not know about internally. Anyways my friend's family has been all Ford for a long time as his dad was an engineer for Ford for many years and will be giving me an X plan pin. From what I have briefly read the X plan pricing is set and you are able to get any rebates/financing deals available. Well my friend tried to get a Ford a year ago and had extremely poor service while trying to buy a Ford on X plan in the Fort Lauderdale area. The dealers were not very kind to the fact that he was trying to use X plan which shocked him. For whatever reason this happened at 2 different dealers in the area. Is there any way for someone to check the available rebates/incentives for the 2012 Edge Sports (FWD fully loaded white) in Fort Lauderdale (33301) or surrounding areas.

The other thing is that I may be interested in trading in my current car which is a 2006 BMW 650i and going based on some recent trades and the listings it's valued at 26.9K trade and 33K private sale. I saw on here someone mentioning that with X plan the dealers don't go above the trade value listed which is right at 26.9K. Is this a cut in stone policy when using the X plan? I might try Carmax just to see what they offer but will likely be worse. Don't really want to deal with selling my car private party yet.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to order one in the next few months and would like to know the whole Ford process. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I would finance through Ford for the remaining balance after trade and keep it for 3 months and refi through Penfed (my current CU) if Ford rates are not as good. Just if there is any incentives for financing now.

Edited by NWS Alpine

Hey guys I am going to try and test drive a 2011 Edge Sport fwd this weekend. At this point I will be ordering a 2012 vs buying a 2011 since I want to have the minor tweaks that we know about and some that we might not know about internally. Anyways my friend's family has been all Ford for a long time as his dad was an engineer for Ford for many years and will be giving me an X plan pin. From what I have briefly read the X plan pricing is set and you are able to get any rebates/financing deals available. Well my friend tried to get a Ford a year ago and had extremely poor service while trying to buy a Ford on X plan in the Fort Lauderdale area. The dealers were not very kind to the fact that he was trying to use X plan which shocked him. For whatever reason this happened at 2 different dealers in the area. Is there any way for someone to check the available rebates/incentives for the 2012 Edge Sports (FWD fully loaded white) in Fort Lauderdale (33301) or surrounding areas.

The other thing is that I may be interested in trading in my current car which is a 2006 BMW 650i and going based on some recent trades and the listings it's valued at 26.9K trade and 33K private sale. I saw on here someone mentioning that with X plan the dealers don't go above the trade value listed which is right at 26.9K. Is this a cut in stone policy when using the X plan? I might try Carmax just to see what they offer but will likely be worse. Don't really want to deal with selling my car private party yet.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to order one in the next few months and would like to know the whole Ford process. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I would finance through Ford for the remaining balance after trade and keep it for 3 months and refi through Penfed (my current CU) if Ford rates are not as good. Just if there is any incentives for financing now.

Any dealer who doesn't like X plan should be carefully scrutinized. They get an extra $400-$500 for a X plan sale so unless they're able to sell the cars for close to MSRP - you have to wonder why they'd turn down all that extra profit for a guaranteed sale? Typically it means they're making more money on the deal elsewhere which isn't allowed on X plan sales (add-ons, doc fees, required options, etc.). Caveat Emptor.

On the trade-in value: X plan is about $150 above dealer invoice with a minimal doc fee. This isn't wholesale but it's nowhere near full retail price either. You're never really getting more than wholesale value from a trade-in unless it's some rare vehicle that's really hard to find. Think about it - the dealer can go to the auction and get a dozen used vehicles similar to yours (ok, maybe 1 or 2 like your 650i) so why would they pay you much more than auction (wholesale) price? With X plan they just can't fiddle with the price of the new car to make it appear that you're getting more on your trade-in price.

That said, sometimes dealers just don't want a car and they'll lowball you. And some may really want your car and give you more. Since X plan is the same price at every dealer you can shop the trade around and do the deal with the one who has the best trade-in price.

Yeah some of the dealers are the largest in the country. It's weird that they would act that way but I guess on certain cars they can sell them full MSRP quickly to foreigners who visit and export or are buying property here.

I know I should sell private because I think my car will actually sell easily. It's a rare combo fully loaded that should help me sell it. It's Alpine white with red interior and the SMG transmission which is rare for the 650i.

Anyways I see mention of the Vincent system. This is to check for all current rebates/incentives for a specific vehicle correct? How does it work for ordering a new vehicle. Are there people on here who have access to the system?

Edited by NWS Alpine

Anyways I see mention of the Vincent system. This is to check for all current rebates/incentives for a specific vehicle correct? How does it work for ordering a new vehicle. Are there people on here who have access to the system?

Yes, it checks for rebates and incentives. It uses the Vehicle VIN so if it was ordered you'd need to wait until the VIN is assigned. Otherwise you can just use a similar vehicle on the lot. Only a dealer has access.

I ordered a 2012, what a nightmare. Never again.

Right now on 2012 there is $1000.00 rebate. 2011 has $1500.00 plus $1000.00 for financing thru Ford, but their interest rates are pretty high.

Thanks for the info. I was planning to only do Ford financing if there was a credit and then switch to PenFed after the mandatory 3 month period. I have my loan through PenFed now and their rates are really good.

Why was your experience a nightmare? Dealer issues?

Yeah, I wonder that too. My order was done in 2 sentences. Why a nightmare?

Me - "Yo Brenda, I want an Edge Sport with FWD and everything you can do to it except headrest monitors, in white."

Brenda - "Okay."

She handled the rest, and I showed up on delivery day. My name is even on the window sticker.

Mostly dealing with sales people. And my trade. I originally went to get an 11-year end clearance. These dealers have all of these leftovers and hang on to them like they are the last cars on earth. Then they try to steal my trade. Offer nothing on a VERY nice low milage 2008. So I kept getting up and leaving. Well, of course it is never over. Since they couldn't screw me over the first time they all call and email to try again. All of a sudden the trade goes up and the price of the new one goes down. In the meantime, I decide a 12 is going to be a better car so I go online and build one more in my price range and take it to the most decent dealer I had gone to. Fortunately I had done my research because he did not even know about the new colors on the 12. Then he announces there are more rebates so I added options. Get a call Monday that they were wrong, sorry we have to take back $1500.00, that rebate is on the 11. So after letting them sweat for a bit I agreed to meet halfway, everyone makes mistakes. Yesterday I finally got the revised order contract faxed, however when I did not send it back in two minutes and didn't answer the phone he called me at my office after I was very clear not to do that. That ticked me off. It took them two days to get a new one to me and can't wait a few hours to get it back because I am busy. It is finally settled and I got my trade. It was tough but I feel I squeezed every penny out of the deal I could so that makes me happy.

Me - "Yo Brenda, I want an Edge Sport with FWD and everything you can do to it except headrest monitors, in white."

Brenda - "Okay."

She handled the rest, and I showed up on delivery day. My name is even on the window sticker.

I handed Doug a Build Your Own Summary printout and a deposit check. 5 weeks later he called and said "it's here".

Our dealership is awesome. :)

I handed Doug a Build Your Own Summary printout and a deposit check. 5 weeks later he called and said "it's here".

Our dealership is awesome. :)

I am one of those people that seems to attract trouble, regardless of how much I plan and prepare for things. And I did not choose a very good time to deal with this, I should have known better. Sometimes when I want something there is not stopping me LOL. ;)

Brenda - "Okay."

That is exactly what I am going to order. White sport with everything except the headrest monitors. Also want to make sure there is no front license plate bracket installed so I have no holes.

That's exactly what I ordered. Only problem is that it came with a front license plate bracket against my wishes. Apparently, the ordering system automatically puts it in there. There's a code for the bracket, and a code for the bracket delete. If you don't input either, it defaults to bracket. Fortunately, they found a less endowed white Sport at another dealer, made a dealer trade for it, and swapped lower grille bars.

Yeah, I guess they really are awesome. :rockon:

That's exactly what I ordered. Only problem is that it came with a front license plate bracket against my wishes. Apparently, the ordering system automatically puts it in there. There's a code for the bracket, and a code for the bracket delete. If you don't input either, it defaults to bracket. Fortunately, they found a less endowed white Sport at another dealer, made a dealer trade for it, and swapped lower grille bars.

Yeah, I guess they really are awesome. :rockon:

So are you still driving the SporTrac around? Says so in your profile.

I placed my order today with a deposit. I can't wait for it to come in. He said if all things align it might be 4 weeks but more likely around 6 weeks right now. Could take up to 12 if something is backed up. Anyways I ordered a 2012 Sport FWD in White. Options I picked are below:

Vista roof

Bliss

Voice activated Nav

Driver entry package (now includes remote start for 2012)

All weather floor matts

Illuminated door sills

No front plate

CA emissions (dealer added this which I think is a different cat)

I already ordered the 5K 55w HID kit on this forum since I can't own a car without HIDs. Will be ordering the H&R spring kit soon since there is no coilover option yet that I have seen. I have KW V3 coilovers on my 6 series now and will really miss them. Other mods that will be coming will be tint on the front side windows to match the others and entire front windshield at 70%. I also need order a thule rack setup for my paddleboards. Might eventually add the modified hitch for carrying some tailgating stuff (have Dolphins season tickets).

Edited by NWS Alpine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just over 4 weeks and still nothing. No VIN and no DORA. If I don't see anything next week I'm not going to be happy. Some people who ordered around my time got their VIN before 5 weeks. I want to get it built before FORD employees decide they want more money and strike. Good news is that it looks like the newer employees are voting positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I am over 6 weeks I still have nothing. I have contacted the dealer on friday and they have nothing. I have asked for a VIN and have asked for a DORA. Am I wrong to assume I should have had a DORA a long time ago? Isn't that when the order is initially placed and accepted by Ford. If I don't have one by now then is my order even been placed? Maybe my dealer has no allocation (Very Large dealer).

• 1 month later...