Delay in Voice Recognition at Start

I am a new owner, so I am not sure this is typical, but there seems to be a delay in voice recognition working when I first start the car. It seems to take a good 30 secs for it to accept a command. I will hit the steering wheel button and... nothing...

Is this normal?

If you have MyFordTouch - yes. There is a new version 2.11 that seems to make it much faster. Check the syncmyride.com website.

Hi, I have another question I'm hoping someone can weigh-in on.

When I ask the system to call someone listed on my address book (for example, Jane Smith), the voice will say: "Calling Jane Smith on other".

Can someone explain why it says "on other"? Every name I call is followed up my "...on other"

Thanks.

It depends on how your contacts are saved in your phone. I saved my wife as a contact with one name and 3 phone numbers, but they're saved as a cell, a work, and a home number. If I just say "Call (her name)," it asks me which number, or I can say to call her on one of them and it just does.

• 2 months later...

Last week my dealer changed the Sync module and loaded the latest software onto it. Wow - way worse than before. Anyway, one of the new problems I am experiencing is the delay you are mentioning. The first time I use voice commands after start up there is a lengthy delay of silence after I say the command. Usually it'll be 30 seconds to a minute, but once I timed it at 12 minutes. That's a long time for your system to be frozen and silent.

Last week my dealer changed the Sync module and loaded the latest software onto it. Wow - way worse than before. Anyway, one of the new problems I am experiencing is the delay you are mentioning. The first time I use voice commands after start up there is a lengthy delay of silence after I say the command. Usually it'll be 30 seconds to a minute, but once I timed it at 12 minutes. That's a long time for your system to be frozen and silent.

That's common with MFT. Every time you start your car, it's like turning on you Windows PC. Everything has to load. Voice commands don't work until the startup is completed.

Rumor has it that the new version we are all waiting for will reduce the startup time.