2.0 ECO Towing question

Somewhere I read the at an Edge with the 2.0 ECO engine is NOT rated to tow anything (with no factory tow options).

I just read a test on the new Range Rover Evoque that supposedly uses the Ford 2.0 ECO engine and on that vehicle, it's rated to tow up to 3500 lbs (with trailer braking) or about 1700 lbs without trailer braking. I'm thinking of getting the Edge 2.0 ECO, but have a requirement to tow a trailer that can go up to 2000 lbs occasionally.

Any thoughts on this? I would prefer to buy an Edge with the factory tow package and am not hot to install an after market receiver hitch (especially if it involved any bumper cutting.

Most front wheel drive cross-overs will top out somewhere between 1500lbs and 2000lbs. If you're consistently pulling 2000lbs, you really should aim to get something that tows more (3000 to 3500lbs). My advice would be a V6 -AWD, but if you're picking the Ecoboost, you're probably looking for the bump in mileage when not towing.

I'm guessing that Range Rover pulls the 3500lbs with a AWD drivetrain. At least you can benefit from a lighter car and somewhat better mileage (though I would guess the fuel would be Premium on a luxury brand).

FWD vs AWD makes no difference in the towing capabilities of a vehicle, unless you need the extra traction pulling out of steep boat ramps. In fact towing on a FWD based AWD vehicle can get the PTU really hot, potentially shortening it's life.

But I agree, trying to stretch a 2.0 Edge to a 2000lb towing job, even if only once in a while, is not a good idea. Go for the V6.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

FWD vs AWD makes no difference in the towing capabilities of a vehicle, unless you need the extra traction pulling out of steep boat ramps. In fact towing on a FWD based AWD vehicle can get the PTU really hot, potentially shortening it's life.

But I agree, trying to stretch a 2.0 Edge to a 2000lb towing job, even if only once in a while, is not a good idea. Go for the V6.

Just researched and found Waldo was spot on. Most FWD models do not come standard with optional towing packages, some AWD variants do, though. But Trailer rating is the same with FWD or AWD provided the Towing Package is standard on said vehicle.

Edited by NatG

• 2 months later...

Somewhere I read the at an Edge with the 2.0 ECO engine is NOT rated to tow anything (with no factory tow options).

I just read a test on the new Range Rover Evoque that supposedly uses the Ford 2.0 ECO engine and on that vehicle, it's rated to tow up to 3500 lbs (with trailer braking) or about 1700 lbs without trailer braking. I'm thinking of getting the Edge 2.0 ECO, but have a requirement to tow a trailer that can go up to 2000 lbs occasionally.

Any thoughts on this? I would prefer to buy an Edge with the factory tow package and am not hot to install an after market receiver hitch (especially if it involved any bumper cutting.

I am looking for the same thing. The 2013 Escape will tow 3500 lbs and you have to get the 2.0 liter EcoBoost to do it. Maybe the 2013 edge will allow the option of towing with the 2.0 EcoBoost.

I am looking for the same thing. The 2013 Escape will tow 3500 lbs and you have to get the 2.0 liter EcoBoost to do it. Maybe the 2013 edge will allow the option of towing with the 2.0 EcoBoost.

I'm sure you'll see some level of tow package available soon. They probably just need some time to develop the coolers for transaxle and power steering, the wiring harness, and do some other engineering.....larger radiator, etc. The "hitch" itself is a minor part of a tow package. After all.....The EB 3.5 in the F 150 was developed and engineered to be a towing monstor.

Edited by RJG

I'm sure you'll see some level of tow package available soon. They probably just need some time to develop the coolers for transaxle and power steering, the wiring harness, and do some other engineering.....larger radiator, etc. The "hitch" itself is a minor part of a tow package. After all.....The EB 3.5 in the F 150 was developed and engineered to be a towing monstor.

2013 order guide still says no tow package for the 2.0 EB. Could be any number of reasons including marketing.