Hi, Im Anthony! Thinking about an Edge

PhillyAnt

Hi folks,

Just stumbled upon this forum and am glad I did. I am considering leasing a 2011 Edge. Is there anything I should know or consider? I am considering the 2011 over the 2012 for payment reasons. I am trying to decide if I want a FWD or AWD. I live in Philly and we do get our fair share of snow but I have been driving FWD Honda Accords all my life and have never had an issue. Also debating on getting the Panoramic moon roof. I was looking at the SEL version with the 202A package. Anything else I should know about the 2011 Edges? Would love any advice or suggestions!

Thanks!

Ant

Hi folks,

Just stumbled upon this forum and am glad I did. I am considering leasing a 2011 Edge. Is there anything I should know or consider? I am considering the 2011 over the 2012 for payment reasons. I am trying to decide if I want a FWD or AWD. I live in Philly and we do get our fair share of snow but I have been driving FWD Honda Accords all my life and have never had an issue. Also debating on getting the Panoramic moon roof. I was looking at the SEL version with the 202A package. Anything else I should know about the 2011 Edges? Would love any advice or suggestions!

Thanks!

Ant

If you've gotten by without AWD then you probably don't need it and you'll avoid a potential problem area with the PTU. There are still some issues with MyFordTouch although that should be fixed permanently with new software early next year. If you don't care about MFT then you could skip it and save some money and potential problems.

That's about it. You'll love it.

If you've gotten by without AWD then you probably don't need it and you'll avoid a potential problem area with the PTU. There are still some issues with MyFordTouch although that should be fixed permanently with new software early next year. If you don't care about MFT then you could skip it and save some money and potential problems.

That's about it. You'll love it.

Thanks for the info! I definitely want the MFT. What kind of issues are there? I am slowly going through the forums and picking up things here and there. As for the AWD, well I still am on the fence. Yes I have gotten by without it all these years but it would be nice to have. Looks like a fun vehicle to drive, especially with the sunroof. I am upside down on my current car which means I owe more than its worth thanks to someone hitting it a few months ago so I have to add $3000 to the price of my lease (car is worth 10k and I owe 3k). Depending on my options with 2k down im looking at a payment between $500 and $550 a month for a lease.

Thanks for the info! I definitely want the MFT. What kind of issues are there? I am slowly going through the forums and picking up things here and there. As for the AWD, well I still am on the fence. Yes I have gotten by without it all these years but it would be nice to have. Looks like a fun vehicle to drive, especially with the sunroof. I am upside down on my current car which means I owe more than its worth thanks to someone hitting it a few months ago so I have to add $3000 to the price of my lease (car is worth 10k and I owe 3k). Depending on my options with 2k down im looking at a payment between $500 and $550 a month for a lease.

Some sluggishness, occasional freezes or reboots and intermittent phone pairing problems. There are plenty of folks who don't have any problems so it's not guaranteed. And the latest software seems relatively stable. Chances are you'll only have some minor problems. If you really want MFT then go ahead and get it - I think you'll be ok.

But I don't understand why you're upside down on your current car. If it's worth $10K but you only owe $3K then you're $7K ahead. Unless that was a typo and you owe $13K.

I have an 11 Edge and would recommend against MFT

Here is a recent article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111025/OEM01/111029935/1254/FRONTPAGE there are plenty of other articles over the past year, just look.

Also, they have had about 4 software updates to MFT in a year, and I am still having problems with the latest version 2.11

They have issued how many Technical Service Bulletins because of MFT?

What does MFT give you that would make you want to put up with these problems? You can still get Sync and Sirius without MFT for a lot less money. You just don't get Nav and an 8" screen.

Since you are leasing, get one without MFT, and in 2 years they will have the problems fixed.

I have an 11 Edge and would recommend against MFT

Here is a recent article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111025/OEM01/111029935/1254/FRONTPAGE there are plenty of other articles over the past year, just look.

Also, they have had about 4 software updates to MFT in a year, and I am still having problems with the latest version 2.11

They have issued how many Technical Service Bulletins because of MFT?

What does MFT give you that would make you want to put up with these problems? You can still get Sync and Sirius without MFT for a lot less money. You just don't get Nav and an 8" screen.

Since you are leasing, get one without MFT, and in 2 years they will have the problems fixed.

The problems should be fixed within 6 months. And not everyone has problems. There are numerous reports of people with very minor or no problems whatsoever. It's not every vehicle.

Some sluggishness, occasional freezes or reboots and intermittent phone pairing problems. There are plenty of folks who don't have any problems so it's not guaranteed. And the latest software seems relatively stable. Chances are you'll only have some minor problems. If you really want MFT then go ahead and get it - I think you'll be ok.

But I don't understand why you're upside down on your current car. If it's worth $10K but you only owe $3K then you're $7K ahead. Unless that was a typo and you owe $13K.

Yes it was a typo :)

I owe 13k. Thanks for writing!

Couple of thoughts:

I debated the AWD or FWD but went with the AWD (weather is a little bit worse though here in Boston)

If I were you and Ok with FWD, I would look at the 2012 EcoBoost engine, only comes FWD.

The driving enjoyment factor is much higher IMO and gets better gas mileage.

Haven't really used the Vista Roof yet, but I love it and highly recommend it. I opted it for it over leather on my SEL and think it was the right choice (could not afford leather and roof)

MFT: go for it, it is glitchy sometimes but also very cool.

Also, if leasing the resale/lease buy out figure will be higher on the 2012 models, so you may find little or no difference in lease payment amount between 2011 and 2012 models.

I would shop around at another dealer or two, you may prove me wrong but it is worth getting a second opinion on.

Couple of thoughts:

I debated the AWD or FWD but went with the AWD (weather is a little bit worse though here in Boston)

If I were you and Ok with FWD, I would look at the 2012 EcoBoost engine, only comes FWD.

The driving enjoyment factor is much higher IMO and gets better gas mileage.

Haven't really used the Vista Roof yet, but I love it and highly recommend it. I opted it for it over leather on my SEL and think it was the right choice (could not afford leather and roof)

MFT: go for it, it is glitchy sometimes but also very cool.

Also, if leasing the resale/lease buy out figure will be higher on the 2012 models, so you may find little or no difference in lease payment amount between 2011 and 2012 models.

I would shop around at another dealer or two, you may prove me wrong but it is worth getting a second opinion on.

Thank you

Hey Ant,

No matter which model you get you'll love it. The bells and whistles included in the Edge are great, so don't short yourself too much if you can negotiate a deal on a leftover 2011 that's up model, like a limited. I wouldn't say stay away fromMFT. It's getting better with every bug fix and there are a host of great features in it. Once the new software for MFT is complete I'm sure it will be a major reselling point in the future. Just things to think about.

We live in northern nj and purchased a 2011 FWD Explorer for my wife. We figured that all the primary and secondary roads that she drives on are always plowed by the time she gets on the road, plus we never had a problem in 3 years with her FWD Lexus ES350. My Sport is AWD and I wish I purchased a FWD. I did get a fabulous deal though since I bought off the lot. Your choice either way, but either way you'll be fine.

If you're a member at Costco, just present your membership card to your dealer sales rep and he'll take it from there for your $1G discount, worked for me! :)

AAA also has a auto buying service. You have to log in as a member before you can use it. I noticed that the pricing is almost exactly the same as the Ford X-Plan which I also qualified for. The dealership was most familiar with the X-plan so we used that. The AAA auto discount would be well worth the cost of an annual membership.

I also took advantage of a $1,000 cash back incentive that Ford is offering right now.

• 1 month later...

Freddy1021 I recently aquired a used 2010 Edge LTD and I love it. What's not to like about them? I would not want a FWD, might as well just buy a car. A proper Edge should be AWD. Much more saleable and when winter arrives, there's nothing like it. I think Lexus, Infinity and Cadillac have nothing over the Edge.

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Ant

• 2 weeks later...