20" Wheels on a Limited

Is this a valid annoyance?

2012 SEL comes with 18" painted wheels

18" Chrome upgrade - $676

20" Chrome upgrade - $893

2012 Limited comes with 18" Chrome Wheels

20" Chrome upgrade - $761

Can someone make me feel better about the 20" wheels being $217 more on the SEL but $761 different on the Limited? I tried to convince myself that the extra cost was the fact that it is changing the "standard" option on the Limited, but that honestly doesn't make me feel better.

And yes, I apparently need my annoyances validated by the FordEdgeForum community...

Is this a valid annoyance?

2012 SEL comes with 18" painted wheels

18" Chrome upgrade - $676

20" Chrome upgrade - $893

2012 Limited comes with 18" Chrome Wheels

20" Chrome upgrade - $761

Can someone make me feel better about the 20" wheels being $217 more on the SEL but $761 different on the Limited? I tried to convince myself that the extra cost was the fact that it is changing the "standard" option on the Limited, but that honestly doesn't make me feel better.

And yes, I apparently need my annoyances validated by the FordEdgeForum community...

I took the 18s on the limited for numerous reasons. But that doesn't mean I can't spin your current situation to make you feel better.

Look at it this way: SEL costs $893 to get the 20s and Limited costs only $761. That's the only way to feel better; you have to completely forget that you could save $761 and some hassle with the 18s on the Limited.

Edited by cal3thousand

Is there maybe something else packaged with the 20" wheel option on the SEL? Or maybe it's just a U.S. thing - up here in the great white north, the 20" option is the same price for both SEL and Limited - $800.

Sorry, I didn't explain my scenario well. There isn't anything extra in the SEL, the problem is on the price of the upgrade on the Limited. The upgrade to the 18" chrome wheel is already built into the base price of the Limited, it comes standard. So when you upgrade from the 18" Chrome wheel to the 20" Chrome wheel, I don't think the cost should be as high as it is. On the SEL, the cost difference between the 18" Chrome and 20" Chrome is only $217. On the SEL, the cost difference between the 18" Chrome and 20" Chrome is $761.

Okay, so I'm not sure it even matters because it sounds like we are talking gearing, but here is a breakdown of the different wheels so while the gearing might be different for the sake of being different, it wouldn't be because of the diameter of the tire, which is negligably different between 18" and 20" wheels (rims). I'm also speaking to the comparison of SEL upgrade pricing to the Limite upgrade pricing. The one variable there would be if you said the gearing doesn't change on an SEL with 20" wheels but it does change on a Limited with 20" rims. I'd love to track down the gearing information if possible.

Wheel - Tire - Diameter - Width – Sidewall

17” SE Wheel – 235/65R17 – 29.027 – 9.252 – 6.013

18” Aluminum - 245/60R20 – 29.574 – 9.645 – 5.787

18” Chrome - 245/60R20 – 29.574 – 9.645 – 5.787

20” Chrome - 245/50R20 – 29.645 – 9.645 – 4.822

22” Darth Vader - 265/40R22 – 30.346 – 10.433 – 4.173

I enjoy the conversation and I think this is all great consolidated information for someone to stumble across in the future, but don't think I'm losing sleep over this. It's just money, right ;-).

If my thinking is confusing, look at it this way. Let's say you want an SEL with 18" chrome and a Limited with 20" chrome (we all have the money for 2 new Edge's, right?). You can get the 20" chrome on the SEL and take the standard wheels on the Limited and it will cost you $893 and then you just switch the wheels up on the two vehicles and you have what you want. Or, you could pay $1437 in upgrades to get the 18" Chrome on the SEL and the 20" Chrome on the Limited from the factory. Same outcome, but the latter way $533 more expensive.

• Like 1

I found that the options packaging for the different models made it necessary for me to get a Limited to get what I wanted. It has been so long since I ordered it I can't even remember the details now. And because we want it we pay for it, same as any product. And we all shop like this: "oooh, pretty" and then try to let our financial side take over without success and we go with the 20's and all of the other pretty things.

Okay, so I'm not sure it even matters because it sounds like we are talking gearing, but here is a breakdown of the different wheels so while the gearing might be different for the sake of being different, it wouldn't be because of the diameter of the tire, which is negligably different between 18" and 20" wheels (rims). I'm also speaking to the comparison of SEL upgrade pricing to the Limite upgrade pricing. The one variable there would be if you said the gearing doesn't change on an SEL with 20" wheels but it does change on a Limited with 20" rims. I'd love to track down the gearing information if possible.

Wheel - Tire - Diameter - Width – Sidewall

17" SE Wheel – 235/65R17 – 29.027 – 9.252 – 6.013

18" Aluminum - 245/60R20 – 29.574 – 9.645 – 5.787

18" Chrome - 245/60R20 – 29.574 – 9.645 – 5.787

20" Chrome - 245/50R20 – 29.645 – 9.645 – 4.822

22" Darth Vader - 265/40R22 – 30.346 – 10.433 – 4.173

I enjoy the conversation and I think this is all great consolidated information for someone to stumble across in the future, but don't think I'm losing sleep over this. It's just money, right ;-).

If my thinking is confusing, look at it this way. Let's say you want an SEL with 18" chrome and a Limited with 20" chrome (we all have the money for 2 new Edge's, right?). You can get the 20" chrome on the SEL and take the standard wheels on the Limited and it will cost you $893 and then you just switch the wheels up on the two vehicles and you have what you want. Or, you could pay $1437 in upgrades to get the 18" Chrome on the SEL and the 20" Chrome on the Limited from the factory. Same outcome, but the latter way $533 more expensive.

Nice share.