A horrible thing happened today...

Dingo

So I was at home working today. The weather sucked. Tornado warnings, wind, sideways rain, etc. I was about to leave the house when I heard HUGE thunder. It shook the ground. I walked out of the house and heard a car horn just constantly sounding. I thought to myself, "Self, what the hell is that?"

So I pulled out of the neighborhood and saw that a HUGE tree had fallen on an Yukon about 9 yards down from my house. The thunder apparently wasn't thunder. I pulled up to see if I could help whoever was in the vehicle, and there was no helping to be done. Right then, police, fire, and EMS were arriving, so I got the hell out of their way. The tree fell right on the single occupant, killing him instantly. I was later interviewed by the news, and was informed that the man's wife had been at work, and two of his three children go to my son's school. They couldn't tell me who it was, because he hasn't officially been identified yet, but they knew who he was from the license plate and his wallet.

My thoughts are with his family tonight, and this holiday season. I think about not only how hard this will be on them, but about how the little things during the holidays will keep it fresh in their minds. I especially empathize with his children. I couldn't imagine all of the milestones in their lives that he won't be there for.

Sorry to be so depressing, but I needed to vent.

Here's one of the news stories.

Edited by Dingo

So sad, My condolences, and I think also from everyone in the forum, to the family. True, live each day to the fulllest, as one never knows what lies ahead. Dingo, sorry for the loss of your neighbor, and akirby, to you also. I know thqat this might seem unusual, but if you want to post a first name of the deceased wife, and an address to send a condolance card, I think many in the forum would send her a card, to show our support to everyone. It will not bring back her husband, but might help with her loss with everyones support.

Regards,

Joe

P.S. I work for a cousins Funeral Home, so I know what support and condolences mean to a family.

Edited by JOEHIO

So sad, My condolences, and I think also from everyone in the forum, to the family. True, live each day to the fulllest, as one never knows what lies ahead. Dingo, sorry for the loss of your neighbor, and akirby, to you also. I know thqat this might seem unusual, but if you want to post a first name of the deceased wife, and an address to send a condolance card, I think many in the forum would send her a card, to show our support to everyone. It will not bring back her husband, but might help with her loss with everyones support.

Regards,

Joe

P.S. I work for a cousins Funeral Home, so I know what support and condolences mean to a family.

Thanks. I don't want to post anything but if anyone would like to send condolences to the family send me a PM.

It just goes to show everyone, don't take life for granted. Avoid the obvious, but don't concern yourself with the inevitable.

There is a very famous saying..."Live every day like it is your last".

I've had many close calls where seconds or inches would have made the difference. You just don't know!

My thoughts go out to everyone involved!

I started thinking about the math last night. The tree came down right where his head was. The speed limit on Brookwood Rd. is 45 mph. That's 66 feet per second. Assuming a 3 foot diameter of the trunk and branches, He was 1/22nd of a second either way from just having a bad accident and being here to talk about it. That, my friends, isn't coincidence. That is the finger of God.

I have a friend who had a seizure while helping my dad cut down an old spruce tree - good tall one... Well, our friend didn't move when Dad hollered at him and the tree landed right where it was supposed to. Cracked our friend on top the head, split it open, broke bones in his neck and some ribs, punctured a lung. Killed him. My dad was able to do CPR and almost 10 years later, you can barely see the scar. Life happens in weird ways. Hug your family every chance you get. You don't know what the next second will bring.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

edit - Said friend is slightly disappointed in the scar healing so well... loves to tell the story now. And a few years ago - we finally started letting the two of them cut down trees again.

Edited by choff1138

I started thinking about the math last night. The tree came down right where his head was. The speed limit on Brookwood Rd. is 45 mph. That's 66 feet per second. Assuming a 3 foot diameter of the trunk and branches, He was 1/22nd of a second either way from just having a bad accident and being here to talk about it. That, my friends, isn't coincidence. That is the finger of God.

HE does not guarantee us a tomorrow; reminds me of an old DC Talk song, I wish we'd all been ready