Power Liftgate Issue

Used the remote to open, loaded in some gear, then pressed liftgate button in the cargo area to close, but nothing happened. Pressed the liftgate button 2x on the remote - nothing. Went to the liftgate button on the dash, still nothing. So I closed the liftgate manually and proceeded to drive home.

When I got home, I pressed the liftgate button on the dash and the liftgate opened as normal. Removed my gear and tried to close using all available buttons - nothing worked. Had to close manually again. Went to my computer, searched the forums but didn't find anyone with the same exact issue I had. Went to the manual and followed the liftgate reset instructions: disconnect battery for 20 sec, manually close liftgate, power open liftgate. Still did not correct the error.

Before I take it to the dealer, anyone have any suggestions or experience with an issue like this?

No troubles when closing manually.

In the vehicle settings, the liftgate is set to enabled. Some have send disabling and then re-enabling fixes certain liftgate issues, but had no effect for me.

I'm at the dealership right now and they seem to be stumped. The technician says he's going to hook up a computer to the vehicle to see if it's a programming issue. I'll post the results.

No troubles when closing manually.

In the vehicle settings, the liftgate is set to enabled. Some have send disabling and then re-enabling fixes certain liftgate issues, but had no effect for me.

I'm at the dealership right now and they seem to be stumped. The technician says he's going to hook up a computer to the vehicle to see if it's a programming issue. I'll post the results.

Where are you standing when you close it? I just bought a 2012 and if I stand off to the side of it, even far away, when I close it it will not close. If I stand directly behind the gate it will close. My 2008 never did that so not sure if the sensors are more sensitive.

Where are you standing when you close it? I just bought a 2012 and if I stand off to the side of it, even far away, when I close it it will not close. If I stand directly behind the gate it will close. My 2008 never did that so not sure if the sensors are more sensitive.

Proximity sensors must be new on the 2012's. As far as I know, the 2011's and earlier only had obstruction sensors.

Directly behind when using the remote.

Ford Tech says they need to order a part - should have it in stock tomorrow, probably have installed on Friday. I hope this fixes it. :unsure:

Here's the description on the invoice:

"LIftgate would not close. Followed pinpoint F in WSM. Found right side pinch strip to be at fault. Replaced strip."

Anyone know what that strip is?

I looked up the part # 7A1Z-78406A76-B on the ford parts website, but couldn't really figure it out.

Everything is working normally now - I'm just curious as to what the part is.

• 1 month later...

The "pinch strip", is the rubber gasket aqround the opening. Found out from my dealer today, this effected model years up to '11, and for the 12's they changed it, but there are issues with the '12's not closing, and Ford told the tech at my dealership, that the program for the liftgate is being rewritten to correct the problem of not always closing. My dealer did do an adjustment on the rear latch, and so far all is okay !

The "pinch strip", is the rubber gasket aqround the opening. Found out from my dealer today, this effected model years up to '11, and for the 12's they changed it, but there are issues with the '12's not closing, and Ford told the tech at my dealership, that the program for the liftgate is being rewritten to correct the problem of not always closing. My dealer did do an adjustment on the rear latch, and so far all is okay !

Great! Thank you for the information! I will be sure to advise my tech of this when I go in. Hopefully in a couple months when I need to take it in, the program will be ready for me to get updated.

From what my dealer told me, Ford thinks that the program update might be out within a few weeks. As soon as I hear, I'll let you know.

I have some good buddies that live in Northfield, Sagamore Hills (Cleve 'burbs). Some real sweet area, and prices for the homes make

a peerson wanting to leave (NJ), the wife say's NO WAY JOSE !

From what my dealer told me, Ford thinks that the program update might be out within a few weeks. As soon as I hear, I'll let you know.

I have some good buddies that live in Northfield, Sagamore Hills (Cleve 'burbs). Some real sweet area, and prices for the homes make

a peerson wanting to leave (NJ), the wife say's NO WAY JOSE !

Great news! Thank you. I thought of this thread the other night while trying to shut it in my driveway. 5 times before it finally shut. Now that there is blizzard like winds blowing, I would have really been irritated standing in the cold fooling with the liftgate.

• 1 month later...

Curious where you bought your 2012 Limited? I got my 2012 Limited from Jim Keim Ford and do have problems with my liftgate also.

Hey... sorry for the late reply. I got it from Beau Townsend Ford in Vandalia.

I have a friend who is looking at one at Germain Ford in Dublin. I told her about the lift gate issue. She mentioned it to the Sales guy there and he told her that I should be getting and SD card sent to me in the mail to fix it.

I should know more in about a month when I go in for the first oil change. I'll be sure to post what I find out.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this problem too. Intermittently the lift gate will close and immediately re-open. Noticed that usually the second time it would stay latched. I had a theory it had something to do with compressing the air inside the vehicle so I started opening a door when I close the rear hatch. If you do that it always works and latches the first time. They need some sort or pressure relief valve for the interior of the car.

Thanks, jmichel, will have to give it a try, as a matter of fact, I'll do it right now ------------------------hang on folks,

I'm back - first try, with windows and door shut, the gate closed on 1st shot, but then every time after, it failed, even after 3 or 4 attempts. Opened the back passenger door, closed the gate, and it and latched on 1st shot. Did open & close with the back door opened, and it closed EVERY time on the 1st try. Closed the door, opened the gate, went to close it, and it did not close after 3 attempts. Once again, I opened the back passenger door, hit the close button, and 1st try was a success. Thanks, jmichel, I'm going to report this to my service dept, they can contact Ford with this info, see what the jerks there have to say ! Maybe they should give you a free extended warranty for finding the root cause of the problem. :happy feet: Now all they have to do is find what to do to solve the problem - possibly an adjustment on tension?

Joe

Richy

I opened the front passengeer window 1/2 way, and got good results. I stopped by the dealership today, spoke to the technician that nhas worked on my problem, and he agree's, that it's a vaccuum/pressure problem. He called Ford this past Thursday, and they told him they would get back next week, he said "lets see what they have to say". The tech, Vinny, said that this should have been resolved long ago, and if they can't give him an answer, he's going to have the service mgr at the dealership, call the "higher ups".

Joe