**MAJOR FLAW** Digital ODOMETER is not measuring accurately!!!!

:banghead:

WOW! I am PISSED! I recently checked my mileage the old fashoined way..divided gallons used into miles traveled and came up with 28 mpg. DING DING DING! You NEVER get mileage rated ABOVE what the car is rated...that top number is only going 45 with no air and no hills.

SO....I checked the mileage starting with the mile markers on the interstate. SURE ENOUGH, over about 8 miles I noticed it was not the same.... My hubby has a truck with the old fashoined roll over digits and took a trip and checked the mileage on that and then took the Edge on the same trip...SURE ENOUGH! It is NOT right!. This makes your car look like it is getting better mileage than it actually is!!!!!! WHAT A SCAM! What can I do about this?

[b]Check yours and report back...maybe it is just mine that is MESSED UP! :redcard: Man, am I MAD![/b]

Perhaps before posting "MAJOR FLAW" - you should check with your dealer on the computer software and make sure its ok.

IMO - major flaw = major mechanical issues - not computer related.

Funny - you don't mention the difference tracked by the old truck vs your Edge - what was the difference?

Read some other posts - a lot of people contend their MPGs are accurate within .5

You do need to reset your puter on occasion.

I have no complaints with mine so far

Edited by Edgy Girl

I agree with Edgy Girl, an electronic odometer not reading exactly correct is not a major flaw.

And because it is electronic it can be fixed very easy by dealer, alot easier than a mechanical one.

And as Edgy Girl asked what is the difference between what the road side mile markers say and what the odometer says.

Maybe you could find a friend with a GPS you could borrow, and check it against the GPS.

Perhaps before posting "MAJOR FLAW" - you should check with your dealer on the computer software and make sure its ok.

Funny - you don't mention the difference tracked by the old truck vs your Edge - what was the difference?

Read some other posts - a lot of people contend their MPGs are accurate within .5

I'm not talking about the tripometer, I am talking about the MAIN odometer. YOU CAN'T RESET THAT! That is illegal and called odometer tampering. And the truck went 12 miles and my Edge went 14.7. THAT MAKES MY CAR OLDER THAN IT REALLY IS WHEN I GET READY TO TRADE! BTW, I checked it with someone else's car and got the SAME results...man am I pissed! I have LOVED my car until now!

MAJOR FLAW IS WHAT I MEAN. Anything that is going to "age" your car prematurely and cause what little value you have in a new car GO DOWN EVEN MORE *is* a MAJOR FLAW in my book.

MAJOR FLAW IS WHAT I MEAN. Anything that is going to "age" your car prematurely and cause what little value you have in a new car GO DOWN EVEN MORE *is* a MAJOR FLAW in my book.

What has your dealer told you about this "major flaw"? I assume, based on the loud voice you announced it with in these forums, that you've taken it to your dealer?

Just to make sure - did you swap the wheels or tires? How do you know the truck is right?

If the odometer is reading incorrectly then the speedometer is also incorrect since it uses the same data. Did you check that?

Sweetie...shhhhhh....

Easy girl. Go to the dealer. Explain the flawless, scientific methods you used to determine these findings.

I bet they can fix whatever "major flaw" is responsible for this obvious, intentional attempt to deceive

the car-buying public.

(Forgive my sarcasm. I juse figure that if this is all that is wrong with your life at this present time, you probably have it pretty good. This really isn't a big deal.)

Just to make sure - did you swap the wheels or tires? How do you know the truck is right?

If the odometer is reading incorrectly then the speedometer is also incorrect since it uses the same data. Did you check that?

Nope, no tires or wheels have been changed...since then, I have taken my hubby's other NEWER truck and got the same deal...his is a digital reader too.

I called the dealership and they just LAUGHED and blew me off.! But I am TELLING you...those that think you are getting GREAT mileage...check the ODOMETER against other vehicles with the same route. Remember, I am NOT talking about MPG...I am talking about actual ROAD miles that your odometer is saying.You will be surprised.

BTW, the old truck old truck and new truck were within 1 tenth of a mile...so....they are accurate and my Edge is NOT!

Nope, no tires or wheels have been changed...since then, I have taken my hubby's other NEWER truck and got the same deal...his is a digital reader too.

I called the dealership and they just LAUGHED and blew me off.! But I am TELLING you...those that think you are getting GREAT mileage...check the ODOMETER against other vehicles with the same route. Remember, I am NOT talking about MPG...I am talking about actual ROAD miles that your odometer is saying.You will be surprised.

BTW, the old truck old truck and new truck were within 1 tenth of a mile...so....they are accurate and my Edge is NOT!

Call this number: 1-800-392-3673(FORD)

Tell them your thoughts and that when you called your local Ford dealer and explained the situation and asked them to look at your Edge to confirm your concerns, they laughed and blew you off.

I am sure they will want to know how a dealership responded to a customer's questions.

I bet someone at that phone number will be able to help you.

Find an open highway, set the cruise on 60 mph and time the interval between mile markers. It should obviously be 1 minute. Write down the difference if there is any.

Use the trip odometer to check a 10 mile stretch using the mile markers. Write down the difference.

They should both be off by the same relative percentage and from what you described it should be around 20% which is way too high. If they don't believe you then video a 10 mile trip showing the mile markers and the odometer at the beginning and end.

If this is true then they just have the wrong calibration in the PCM that tells it how far the vehicle travels in one wheel revolution. The question is whether it's wrong for everyone or if yours just got the wrong calibration.

Find an open highway, set the cruise on 60 mph and time the interval between mile markers. It should obviously be 1 minute. Write down the difference if there is any.

Use the trip odometer to check a 10 mile stretch using the mile markers. Write down the difference.

They should both be off by the same relative percentage and from what you described it should be around 20% which is way too high. If they don't believe you then video a 10 mile trip showing the mile markers and the odometer at the beginning and end.

If this is true then they just have the wrong calibration in the PCM that tells it how far the vehicle travels in one wheel revolution. The question is whether it's wrong for everyone or if yours just got the wrong calibration.

Thank you AKirby...a lot of people on this thread have been SO RUDE! I am just totally angry that my $32,000 vehicle is not measuring mileage right! It might not seem like a big deal, BUT, if you consider when your odometer reads 60,000 miles and you've really only traveled 54,000 miles you'd be pissed too!

I have been a big fan of the Edge...see my previous posts. I just became skeptical when I took a long trip and was getting 28-29 mpg...I knew somethig was fishy as this cars top numbers are 26...no one ever sees those numbers or above unless something is not right!

I thought about the timing thing too...will try that soon...again. thanks for being KIND! I am just a little hacked right now...

This is the perfect information to take to the Dealer (and/or tell the 1-800 number when you call).

Documentation is always best.

I am going to try an experiement on my way home tonight to see if my Edge is doing the same thing.

If it is, believe me, I will be at the dealer in the morning screaming like a wild banshee.

And then posting a "thank you" to you for pointing this out.

HI - I don't think any of us meant to be rude - but you came "screaming" on to the forum - and it seemed a bit over the top.

I understand your concern and agree the differences you noted are big. But you implied fraudulent activity on Ford's part on a open forum - not a good thing to do.

Sometimes the way you approach something is everything - you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

I agree with Kirby - a lot of quirky things that are mentioned here are factory related - and it could be as simple as your calibration was off.

I had a engines lights come on with my Toyota at 200 miles when it was new - after 6000 miles and 2 more lights - the computer motherboard was faulty.

S*** happens - Seriously, I would love to help, but I'm not a techie and I don't like rushes to judgement before the facts are clear and in your first post, the facts were not clear.

Sincerely - I hope you get it resolved. With new cars, anything can happen, including miscalibrated parts.

Edited by Edgy Girl

HI - I don't think any of us meant to be rude - but you came "screaming" on to the forum - and it seemed a bit over the top.

I understand your concern and agree the differences you noted are big. But you implied fraudulent activity on Ford's part on a open forum - not a good thing to do.

Sometimes the way you approach something is everything - you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

I agree with Kirby - a lot of quirky things that are mentioned here are factory related - and it could be as simple as your calibration was off.

I had a engines lights come on with my Toyota at 200 miles when it was new - after 6000 miles and 2 more lights - the computer motherboard was faulty.

S*** happens - Seriously, I would love to help, but I'm not a techie and I don't like rushes to judgement before the facts are clear and in your first post, the facts were not clear.

Sincerely - I hope you get it resolved. With new cars, anything can happen, including miscalibrated parts.

You misunderstand. I'm not trying to "attract" flies or any other insect here, just stating FACTS. My car's odometer is WAY off and this is an open forum as you stated and if I want to feel angry, then I don't see anything wrong with it!!!! It is America and it is the country of whistelblowers and I think if I feel something might be a scam or I am angry, I can say so WITHOUT apologies. I have seen others claim to get upwards to 30 MPG...something is really wrong...but this seals the deal for me...I am signing OFF of this message board and going to the other one were people aren't so JUDGEMENTAL of other people's issues with their new car. What good is a message board if I have to tiptoe around about how I really feel...CYA

Ya know.. I didn't deserve that.

Like you say, an open forum - so you ram your opinon down my throat and leave?

In my book, you stand your ground, make your case and deal with any disagreements- you dont run away.

I can hurl a bunch of american stereotypes at you - but that would just insult the decent forum members who try to help.

oh well....

You misunderstand. I'm not trying to "attract" flies or any other insect here, just stating FACTS. My car's odometer is WAY off and this is an open forum as you stated and if I want to feel angry, then I don't see anything wrong with it!!!! It is America and it is the country of whistelblowers and I think if I feel something might be a scam or I am angry, I can say so WITHOUT apologies. I have seen others claim to get upwards to 30 MPG...something is really wrong...but this seals the deal for me...I am signing OFF of this message board and going to the other one were people aren't so JUDGEMENTAL of other people's issues with their new car. What good is a message board if I have to tiptoe around about how I really feel...CYA

I bet when she goes to football games and sees the two teams on the field in their huddles, she thinks

they are all talking about her.

Issues....party of one.

Edited by Good_Hands

I bet when she goes to football games and sees the two teams on the field in their huddles, she thinks

they are all talking about her.

Issues....party of one.

No the football players are talking about me, I thought eveyone knew that.

And since my earlier post in this thread was totally ignored, I too am taking my toys and going home.

Not.

I got a brand new '97 Ranger that recorded 1.5 miles for every mile I drove.

It wasn't a big deal... my dealership ordered a new gauge cluster for me with near accurate miles (actually less than what I really drove) and they didn't have to put anything on my title about a replacement odometer.

I doubt that it's a widespread issue, but it happens.

Bryce

After completing an extensive, thorough experiment on my way home from work I have come to these conclusions.

First - my experiment. I picked two geographical locations on the way home from both my and my better half's businesses.

I named the first one Point A.

I named the second on Point B.

My able bodied assistant measured the distance between said two points.

I specifically instructed her NOT to share her results with me as to not compromise the findings.

I measured the distance between the two points on my way home.

Upon my arrival at our abode, we compared findings.

Able bodied assistant - 3.5 miles.

Me - 3.5 miles.

Yes. I know.

Shocking.

Startling.

We had to drink a glass of wine to recover.