Dealer's Badge Removal

I share this with others who may have a similar issue......and would like an alternate way to resolve it.

The Ford dealer I purchased my Edge from could not have put their "Dealer Badge" in a worse place.....directly below the "Edge" on the back (see photo "Before" below). :angry: The most annoying aspect of this was the fact that they used sheet-metal screws to mount it instead of adhesive. :banghead:

post-1092-1185481190_thumb.jpg

So I was forced to get a little creative by removing the badge, and cover the screw holes without going through all the trouble/expense of patching and painting.....(see After #1 & 2 photos below).....I used a scrap piece of chrome body/door molding that was given to me by a local shop......I cut it long enough to cover the screw holes that I filled with sealant. I also cut it using the angles you see to make it look like it might almost belong there.

post-1092-1185481355_thumb.jpg post-1092-1185481376_thumb.jpg

Larger images can be seen by clicking on the thumbnails.

If I would of special ordered from the factory, this would not have been done since most dealers are good about not doing it if you ask them not to.

Edited by snoshuu

Dealer badges are my BIGGEST PET PEEVE.

I always ask what they use for a badge and instruct them prior to delivery NOT to attach anything to the vehicle.

However, they do use a license plate trim to advertize - which I allow - then remove after a short while.

I learned this one from Dad years ago - who always had it removed.

Dealer badges are my BIGGEST PET PEEVE.

I always ask what they use for a badge and instruct them prior to delivery NOT to attach anything to the vehicle.

However, they do use a license plate trim to advertize - which I allow - then remove after a short while.

I learned this one from Dad years ago - who always had it removed.

This dealer has three different lots.....one in Denver, and two here in Colorado Springs.....unfortunately I had it delivered from Denver (only one that had everything I wanted) and it already had all their advertising junk on it.....the two lots in Colorado Springs use adhesive to attach their badges (would have been easy to remove without leaving a mark).....oh well. :wacko:

This particular dealer was very persistent......they also added license plate frames to the front and rear of my Edge with their advertising on it.......they were the first thing I removed! :finger:

even as someone who works in the sign/decal biz and have sold plenty of these decals to dealerships.. I will not have one on our cars/trucks. The metal 3 dimensional ones I find especially tacky.

We do have a dealer's license plate surround, but that will also be going soon.

Bryce

...and to add to the discussion...here in NJ if you get stopped for a traffic viloation (er...speeding?), depending on the officer writting the summons you can actually get an additional ticket for "blocking info in the license palte"...around the edges (no pun intended) partially blocking the words New Jersey etc....it is $25.00 in addition to the corresponding speeding ticket or whatever ticket...

I ask the dealer to insure there are no dealer stickers on the vehicle. I don't mind the license plate frame.

I ended up with one on my Monte SS. I just took a plastic squeegee and worked it between the emblem and the bottom of the adhesive tape after I heated it with a blow dryer.

I then used 3M adhesive remover to take off the glue and bottom of the tape.

10 minute process.

After a while I ditch the dealer frame also.

I have a new OFSC Volunteer Proud one to go on the edge!

I ask the dealer to insure there are no dealer stickers on the vehicle. I don't mind the license plate frame.

I ended up with one on my Monte SS. I just took a plastic squeegee and worked it between the emblem and the bottom of the adhesive tape after I heated it with a blow dryer.

I then used 3M adhesive remover to take off the glue and bottom of the tape.

10 minute process.

Dental floss works great.

Soooooooo Saaaaaaaaad to deface a work of art such as the EDGE or any vehicle in my eyes. Every vehicle i've ordered, i've told the dealership not to install advertisement nor front plate bracket (not required in TN) or there would be hell to pay! I could say this because he was my brother-in-law!!! I would say putting badges on with screws is very old school and that this dealership needs wake up and smell the roses and not the BS that you are faced with. Just my 2 cents.

I remember in the 70's when my dad bought a new car, he got a can of spray paint and painted over the dealer's name that was all around the license plate. People asked him constantly why he did that and he would tell them he wasn't going to advertise for the dealer. Now a days you can buy new license plates. When I got home the first thing I did was I took off the paper ad and license plate and put on a new one. Thank goodness I didn't have to worry about a chrome badge. Maybe I would have gotten a can of spray paint and painted over it....just kidding.

When I test drove my Edge, there was no dealer emblem, only the plastic license plates. Once I decided to buy, and it was taken back for detailing, it came back with a fresh new emblem. Luckily it was adhesive and pulled right off with no damage.

There's nothing that bothers me more than dealer advertisements on a new car. A local dealer here now places their web address in white vinyl lettering on the back window. I sincerely hope those people are getting an extra discount to put up with something like that!

-Brian