Car smashed, what should I do?

December_Storm

Hey guys,

Today Ottawa had a bizarre freezing rain. My drive way was basically turned into a skating rink. When I tried to brake and bring the car into the garage, the brake didn't work at all and moments later I crashed into the tree in front of the house.(there was probably black ice on the pavement) The airbag was deployed and thank god I only got my left hand cut. The front of the car is very damaged, though the car and all electronics still work. Since this all happened in front of my house and no one else was involved, I don't think I need to call my insurance company as they will jack up my premium to stratosphere. However I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer or not, will they call the insurance company? or should I just take it to an independent mechanic?

on a side note, when I tried to brake, the pedal didn't even move! Is this what's supposed to happen when the road is slippery or is there something wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys,

Today Ottawa had a bizarre freezing rain. My drive way was basically turned into a skating rink. When I tried to brake and bring the car into the garage, the brake didn't work at all and moments later I crashed into the tree in front of the house.(there was probably black ice on the pavement) The airbag was deployed and thank god I only got my left hand cut. The front of the car is very damaged, though the car and all electronics still work. Since this all happened in front of my house and no one else was involved, I don't think I need to call my insurance company as they will jack up my premium to stratosphere. However I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer or not, will they call the insurance company? or should I just take it to an independent mechanic?

on a side note, when I tried to brake, the pedal didn't even move! Is this what's supposed to happen when the road is slippery or is there something wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance

You don't have to report it but if the airbag deployed that indicates potentially serious damage. You don't need a dealer or mechanic - you need a body shop with experience in accident damage repair. Find one and get an estimate then decide if you want to file an insurance claim or not.

If there's that much damage, doesn't sound like it'll be a cheap fix. Not sure about regs in your area, but you may want to check with police to see if there's a cost limit on what has to be filed as an accident ie above a certain amount, a police report must be filed, as it will be reported anyway by the repair shop. Good luck!

If you don't report it to your insurance, and they later find out, they could possibly deny you coverage. At the very least, you should inform them for "information purposes only, at this time". That way, you have informed them, and if you find out the cost to repair is going to be too much, you can then start the claim process.

thanks for the reply guys. Guess I'll contact some shops and ask for quotes. Will keep you guys posted

Sad to hear about your wreck. What a shame!

Wish you luck.

I would let my insurance know about it. If they raised my rates, I'd get insured with someone else.

After all, This is why we have insurance. This is a chance to get some of your $$$ back.

Many insurance policies in Ontario will forgive an accident if you have been accident free for 5 years so check your policy. If you are dealing with a good broker you should be able to talk to the principle who may be able to provide better advice "off the record" but if you're with a discount direct brokerage this approach wouldn't work.

As to the costs, be prepared to be shocked. We had what sounds like similar front end damage 4 years ago to our escape that ran to $20k as a result of a winter storm. Vehicle looked perfect from the sides & back except for the hood that was up a bit but it was still a right off. Hopefully you were going slow enough that the damage isn't as severe. If you financed or leased you may have to notify them as well. Leases very often restrict who can do repairs.

Good luck!

Many insurance policies in Ontario will forgive an accident if you have been accident free for 5 years so check your policy. If you are dealing with a good broker you should be able to talk to the principle who may be able to provide better advice "off the record" but if you're with a discount direct brokerage this approach wouldn't work.

As to the costs, be prepared to be shocked. We had what sounds like similar front end damage 4 years ago to our escape that ran to $20k as a result of a winter storm. Vehicle looked perfect from the sides & back except for the hood that was up a bit but it was still a right off. Hopefully you were going slow enough that the damage isn't as severe. If you financed or leased you may have to notify them as well. Leases very often restrict who can do repairs.

Good luck!

ouch, that really sucks! Yea this car is leased, I probably should let Campbell Ford know this first before I try anything with a private body shop. All instruments are still functioning as normal, the check engine light haven't appeared, so I hope nothing broke mechanically. Do you mind telling if your insurer covered everything? Because in my case everything happened on my own property and there is nothing/no one else involved (even the tree is on our lawn), not sure what they will do.

hey guys, thanks for the kind words and advice!

Right now I'm afraid that if my current insurer raises my premium, it will leave a dent and no matter who I go to next, premiums will only be higher. Obviously it's best to report an accident ASAP, but generally is there a rule on what's the max. allowed time? I also don't need a police report for my situation right?

btw, I have looked up some shops, there is this large franchise called CarStar. has anyone dealt with them before?

ouch, that really sucks! Yea this car is leased, I probably should let Campbell Ford know this first before I try anything with a private body shop. All instruments are still functioning as normal, the check engine light haven't appeared, so I hope nothing broke mechanically. Do you mind telling if your insurer covered everything? Because in my case everything happened on my own property and there is nothing/no one else involved (even the tree is on our lawn), not sure what they will do.

Right now I'm afraid that if my current insurer raises my premium, it will leave a dent and no matter who I go to next, premiums will only be higher. Obviously it's best to report an accident ASAP, but generally is there a rule on what's the max. allowed time? I also don't need a police report for my situation right?

It doesn't matter where the accident occurred - it's still covered. It just means that it's 100% your fault. No police report needed.

I would suggest reporting it to your insurance agent and getting a repair estimate. As long as you don't file a claim it won't hurt your premiums and the insurance company can give you advice on getting it fixed either way. They can probably even recommend a repair facility. Once you know how much it will cost you can decide if you want to file a claim or not.

It doesn't matter where the accident occurred - it's still covered. It just means that it's 100% your fault. No police report needed.

Different rules in Canada, in some jurisdictions at least - accidents over a certain dollar value ($3000 for us) must be reported to police within 48 hours or you're subject to summary conviction of failing to report an accident=fine and points. Again to the OP, check with local police for the law in your area.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but if the airbags deployed then it will likely be a lot more money to fix than you think. Even if you are concerned about them raising your rates (which they will do somehow even if they claim they don't) you will end up spending a lot more out of pocket by paying on your own. When my wife's car was rear ended a while back it was 18k in damage with no air bags deployed. I would much rather pay a few hundred more a year for a few years than 18k at once.

Different rules in Canada, in some jurisdictions at least - accidents over a certain dollar value ($3000 for us) must be reported to police within 48 hours or you're subject to summary conviction of failing to report an accident=fine and points. Again to the OP, check with local police for the law in your area.

Didn't realize that was the law in Canada.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the anti-lock kicked in. Very sorry to hear this happened. Another reason to consider using your insurance is to have someone behind you for the repairs should anything go wrong. It always cost more than what is estimated too.

Ours was undrivable after the accident with coolant all over the ground so it's clear we hit harder. It was taken to Campbell's and in the end the insurance covered the purchase price of the vehicle (less deductible) because it was less than 2 years old, rental, & towing. Our insurance rates didn't go up as we had 5* protection with Pilot that allowed for a "free" accident without driving rates through the roof.

Hey guys, so finally I made the call to insurance. Unfortunately I don't quality for the "accident forgiveness" clause, but they did agree to cover everything including towing and car rental except the $1000 deductible. Car is towed away now, I'm finally relieved! They told me by going with their designated shop they will guarantee a fix and there will be less red tape in the process , hopefully I will get the Edge back soon!

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you didn't qualify for the "acident forgiveness Clause", but at least you will be getting you Edge fixed, and hopefully on the road soon. A year ago this past summer, this ding bat lady cut across 2 lanes of traccic right in front of my wife, and my wife "nailed" her with our MKS. Our dealership (Maplecrest, Union,NJ) has it's own body shop, and their work was superb. Had $8,000 damage to our car, looks perfect. Make sure that whoever does the work, uses GENUINE Ford parts. There are manufacturers out there that have "replacement" parts, but from what I understand, they are not the same as FMC parts, maybe cheaper grade of metal, aluminum, whatever.

Edited by JOEHIO

Sorry to hear that you didn't qualify for the "acident forgiveness Clause", but at least you will be getting you Edge fixed, and hopefully on the road soon. A year ago this past summer, this ding bat lady cut across 2 lanes of traccic right in front of my wife, and my wife "nailed" her with our MKS. Our dealership (Maplecrest, Union,NJ) has it's own body shop, and their work was superb. Had $8,000 damage to our car, looks perfect. Make sure that whoever does the work, uses GENUINE Ford parts. There are manufacturers out there that have "replacement" parts, but from what I understand, they are not the same as FMC parts, maybe cheaper grade of metal, aluminum, whatever.

Many aftermarket parts are far worse quality than eom. And by being thinner, lighter, different. In the event of another crash there is far more damage in the aftermarket car than the eom car. In this instance the pay me now or pay me later saying is very true!

Hey guys, so finally I made the call to insurance. Unfortunately I don't quality for the "accident forgiveness" clause, but they did agree to cover everything including towing and car rental except the $1000 deductible. Car is towed away now, I'm finally relieved! They told me by going with their designated shop they will guarantee a fix and there will be less red tape in the process , hopefully I will get the Edge back soon!

Glad to hear that you are going with the insurance. Has the body shop given you an estimate?

Just remember that it is your right to have it fixed where you (or the lessor) want it fixed and you don't need to let the insurance company bully you into their shop (which probably costs them less) if you are concerned about cheap parts. In the end, now that you have made the claim, it won't make any difference to your rates if it costs them $5k or $20k for the repairs.

Hope it all works out for you.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...