Clear bra (do-it-yourself)

fishx65

I've installed Invisible Bra on one of kayaks just for practice. My biggest problem, preventing bubbles from appearing in the material. I found you need to keep the material moist otherwise you can't slide the plastic.

Also, on my previous car, a Volvo, the dealer install a 3M Invisible bra. The material definitely protected the hood. My Edge, I went with a Lund hood protector which works well too. My big problem, the number of stones hitting the car's windshield. I don't recall ever getting hit so many times by small stones.

If you decide to install the Husky, take your time and bring along your patience.

Can anyone that has had a clear shield, of any kind, on their car for an extended period of time comment on whether the paint color changes at different rates? What I mean by that is, when you take the clear shield off, can you see a difference in the way the paint looks that was under the shield vs. paint that wasn't?

From what I've read, the 3M 8 mill car shield is a more quality version of the ZAGG Invisible shield you'd use on your phone. I put invisible shields on everything I own, and holy cow do they work as advertised when installed correctly.

My phone however, isn't a clear coated auto paint that gets exposed to all elements of the outdoors constantly. That's why I'd like to hear what other people's experiences are with these on their cars.

I had the 3M on my Sport Trac for 4 years. The paint didn't change color at all, but the film yellowed. Also, once the film is removed, the line between where the film was and wasn't is really obvious, just due to normal wear.

Oh, and it installs NOTHING like the Zagg stuff.

I've been trained by 3M for the install procedure - I definately would not recomend it. It's very difficult and tedious.

The clear bra has to be installed wet onto a soap-like solution using alchohol to wik away moisture from beneath and activate the glue.

I've only had the (dis)pleasure of installing a handful on different applications, and having been professionaly trained, I still have troubles sometimes.

• 1 year later...