Factory paint sealants/protectants on 2011+ vehicles

JOYRIDER

Looking for some reputable knowledge guys and gals. Just picked up a used 2011 Edge Limited, Platinum Tri Coat White, with 15k miles. Exterior is in good condition, 9/10, no issues. Interior is 8/10, that will get it's own detail.

When I get a new (used) vehicle I typically get a detail from my detail guy - helps the car feel new. My question is this: He's recommending a paint sealant. I hesitated since this is a new vehicle, but he says thats the best time because the factory only puts on a clear coat over your paint. I do live in Phoenix where the sun is brutal. Can anybody speak to this? I'm thinking he's right on, just wanted to be sure before I drop the cash.

Thanks in advance! Just drove the Edge back from San Diego (to Phoenix) where I picked it up last night...it's my first Ford and I'm lovin this ride and all it's features!

Jason

Looking for some reputable knowledge guys and gals. Just picked up a used 2011 Edge Limited, Platinum Tri Coat White, with 15k miles. Exterior is in good condition, 9/10, no issues. Interior is 8/10, that will get it's own detail.

When I get a new (used) vehicle I typically get a detail from my detail guy - helps the car feel new. My question is this: He's recommending a paint sealant. I hesitated since this is a new vehicle, but he says thats the best time because the factory only puts on a clear coat over your paint. I do live in Phoenix where the sun is brutal. Can anybody speak to this? I'm thinking he's right on, just wanted to be sure before I drop the cash.

Thanks in advance! Just drove the Edge back from San Diego (to Phoenix) where I picked it up last night...it's my first Ford and I'm lovin this ride and all it's features!

Jason

Hi Jason. :D You will get many opinions, here is one: If he is charging you no more for the "paint sealant" than he would for a good wax "detailing" then go ahead. But if he is charging you extra for this "treatment", then your wallet is getting the "treatment, not your car. No paint sealant is going to be a no-maintenance/permanent treatment. In reality, in many case it will last no longer or not much longer than a good quality waxing.

As far as "...the factory only puts on a clear coat over your paint" statement, well what else is he expecting them to to put on it (rhetorical question)? The "clear coat" he is referring to is paint. For all intents and purposes, clearcoat paint is the same formulation paint as the color coat of our cars, just with no color pigment. It is harder and will last longer than any paint sealant, wax, polymer etc.. Yes, regular applications of a paint sealant, wax or polymer treatment etc. is necessary for the full paint protection, but all of them must be regularly reapplied since they all simply wear off. So paying more for a "paint sealant" only helps empty your wallet.

So again, if he is not charging extra for his "paint sealant" than his normal wax or polymer detailing, go ahead, But if he is charging more, you are wasting money. Heck, on the other hand you can purchase a good quality paint sealant at your local auto store and do it yourself for a fraction of the cost, if you wish.

Additionally, you can browse websites such as Meguiars.com and Mothers.com for professional advice on this and many other car-care subjects.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The bottom line is that IF you want some type of paint protection then now is the time to do it. "Sealants" and "polymers" are supposed to last longer than carnauba wax but that's really a personal preference that depends on how often you want to apply it and what it looks like. But there is certainly nothing wrong with a sealant if you want that type of paint protection. But it will probably only last 6 months to 1 year at the most, sometimes less.

Thanks for the feedback all, good stuff and pretty much confirms what I was thinking. "Detail Guy" states that the wax will last 3 months, the sealant 1 year. As for price, it will be $120+tax for the Polish and Sealant exterior detail, plus he's throwing in an interior detail ($79) for free. So $140ish out the door. Seems like a pretty good deal if I don't want to just do it myself - which I'd love to do, just don't have the time.

I am a professional detailer. There are levels of protection from OK to incredible:

Wax. Looks good, lasts about a month usually.

Sealant. Better durability. Depending on which one, can look plasticky.

Nano Coatings. Newest technology. Permanent coating. Optimum's Opti Guard (professional version) is probably the best.

Read up on Live2Detail.com for more info. There is nothing better for your paint. Period.

I am a professional detailer. There are levels of protection from OK to incredible:

Wax. Looks good, lasts about a month usually.

Sealant. Better durability. Depending on which one, can look plasticky.

Nano Coatings. Newest technology. Permanent coating. Optimum's Opti Guard (professional version) is probably the best.

Read up on Live2Detail.com for more info. There is nothing better for your paint. Period.

Any experience with One Armor? That is the sealant product they use.