Digital Cameras...

Dingo

I've noticed from looking through forum post pictures that we have some members that know how shoot in funky lighting modes and still get results.

What cameras/lenses do y'all use, what do you like about them, and what would you change?

I'll start. I usually use a Nikon d7000 with a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II lens. I have some other stuff, but that combo is the go-to. That lens is a good versatile zoom, but kinda sucks for macro shooting or low light unless you're REALLY stable or use a tripod. The body will do damn near anything you could want, takes 2 SD cards, and is FAST.

735002.jpg

644744.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed from looking through forum post pictures that we have some members that know how shoot in funky lighting modes and still get results.

What cameras/lenses do y'all use, what do you like about them, and what would you change?

I'll start. I usually use a Nikon d7000 with a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II lens. I have some other stuff, but that combo is the go-to. That lens is a good versatile zoom, but kinda sucks for macro shooting or low light unless you're REALLY stable or use a tripod. The body will do damn near anything you could want, takes 2 SD cards, and is FAST.

735002.jpg

644744.jpg

I have the D5100,and the same lens plus an 18-55vr.

I have the D5100,and the same lens plus an 18-55vr.

I briefly had a d5100. I loved the pivoty screen, but once I tried the 7000, it was a done deal. And since you have a DX camera, you might want to see if you can pick up a 70-300 - F/4.5-5.6 VRII on craigslist. With the crop factor, it works out to a 105-450mm. Zoooooooooooom.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend recently bought me the T2i i've been wanting for a long time. she found it as a package deal at Sams Club with the Canon Gadget bag, 4 gig SD card, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens, and HDMI cord.

even though i just got it and am a beginner i've got plans to add a few other lenses. i know how to get the shots i want, just gotta learn the techniques and get the equipment to do so.

t2i_lifestyle_dual.jpg

41ycnrofBNL._AA300_.jpg

canon_ef_s_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_is.jpg

I forgot to mention... Make sure you get uv filters for your lenses. Anti-haze and lens protection simultaneously. I'd suggest you get multi-coated ones, so you don't get ghosting. You also might want a cpl filter. You can save money by buying the biggest one in the size of your biggest lens and buying adapters so that you can use it on your smaller lenses. Tiffen and Hoya are fine, but the best is b+w.

I forgot to mention... Make sure you get uv filters for your lenses. Anti-haze and lens protection simultaneously. I'd suggest you get multi-coated ones, so you don't get ghosting. You also might want a cpl filter. You can save money by buying the biggest one in the size of your biggest lens and buying adapters so that you can use it on your smaller lenses. Tiffen and Hoya are fine, but the best is b+w.

thanks for all of the great info! any particular vendor that you buy from?

I havnen't posted pictures on this forum yet, but I use a Nikon 1 J1. I bought this camera because of its size and DSLR like capabilities.

Does get a bit grainy above 1600 ISO, but not too bad.

I have 3 lenses: 10mm prime f/2.8, 10-30mm VR f/3.5-5.6, and 30-110mm VR f/3.8-5.6

I'll probably move up to a D5100 or something, but for right now i love the small size of the J1

I'm running the older brother to the D7000, the D90. I've had it for a few years and love it. Photoshop, Photomatix, Topaz and Lightroom are a must IMO.

Here are a few of mine taken over the years...

Dawntawn2.jpg

MINI_HDR_Waterfall.jpg

Banggai.jpg

Butterfly.jpg

NightBridges.jpg

CitronellaFlame.jpg

Venezia_Night_Edge.jpg

Edited by ShopVac