Heated seat problems

mustangary

• 11 months later...

Hey mustangary, any solution to this. I have the same problem. A little too cold to start trouble shooting now though. Skeptical about the "Fuse check" advice from Scorpio, since the circuit seems to have power (and the passenger side works). I could be wrong. I'm thinking some sort of short that causes an overload, that's detected by the control module, and shut down before blowing the fuse. Sharing your experience would be appreciated. thx.

One of your seat heater elements is likely shot..... the heated seat control module continuously monitors the heater circuits for both the seat bottom and seat back heating elements, as well as a temperature sensor in each mat. If the control module detects a fault in any of the circuits or the temp sensor, it will not allow that seat heater to operate. That's why it flashes on real fast and then goes off, because it detects a fault. The heated seat module is located under the front passenger seat and controls both front heated seats.

So you gotta figure out which one of your heater mats is burnt up

• 10 months later...

One of your seat heater elements is likely shot..... the heated seat control module continuously monitors the heater circuits for both the seat bottom and seat back heating elements, as well as a temperature sensor in each mat. If the control module detects a fault in any of the circuits or the temp sensor, it will not allow that seat heater to operate. That's why it flashes on real fast and then goes off, because it detects a fault. The heated seat module is located under the front passenger seat and controls both front heated seats.

So you gotta figure out which one of your heater mats is burnt up

I agree with this. I had a 2000 Expedition EB and the driver's side stopped working. The only difference was the light would stay illuminated. My wife barely used the heated seat in the passenger side, so I just swapped the elements. It was fairly easy to pull the leather back on the seat and peel the element off the foam and swap them. The swap worked until I traded it it a few years later. For all I know, it still works. Good luck!

• 10 months later...

Does the module have to be replaced, or is it the heating element in the seat itself? I'm having the same problem, unfortunately.

The module itself is fine, it's usually one of the heating elements that needs to be replaced, most time the bottom cushion one. The module monitors the heating element circuits for shorts/opens, as well as the temperature, and will shut that side off if it detect a problem, hence why the lights come on and then go off real quick.... the module detected a problem in the circuit and disabled that side to keep from starting a fire or frying the module

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited.  My mechanic replaced the module which did nothing as was discussed here.  They ran a test on the heat elements of which is the problem.  The issue is that all seat heater elements do not work and the lights stay lit on the display.  I went to Ford for a second opinion and they called with an $1800 cost to replace all four elements, which is their suggestion.  Ouch!  Who needs heated seats?!?  I am capable of working on this myself if it is even possible.  Seems like a money grab from Ford if you ask me.  I thought of buying used seats and am looking on ebay when I can.  Nothing yet.  Open to any suggestions, ideas.  Thanks

an upholstery shop might be able to do it significantly cheaper.  i assume you are referring to the TED or thermoelectric device

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/v-2012-ford-edge--limited--3-5l-v6-gas/body--front-seat-components

Seat Cushion Thermo-Electric Device

Removal and Installation

NOTE: The air bag warning indicator illuminates when the correct Restraints Control Module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition is ON.

NOTE: The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: The cushion Thermo-Electric Device (TED) filter is detachable from the TED assembly housing from underneath the seat cushion.

1. Remove the front seat cushion. For additional information, refer to Seat Cushion — Front in this section.
  1. Release the cushion trim cover retainers from the cushion frame and remove the cushion trim cover and cushion foam pad.
  1. Remove the 3 cushion TED -to-cushion frame screws.
  1. Remove the cushion TED -to-climate control seat cushion adapter screw and remove the TED .
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Seat Backrest Thermo-Electric Device

Removal and Installation

SBV~us~en~file=ani_caut.GIF~gen~ref.GIF WARNING: Always carry a live airbag with the deployment door, trim cover or tear seam pointed away from the body. Do not place a live airbag down with the deployment door, trim cover or tear seam facing down. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

NOTE: The air bag warning indicator illuminates when the correct Restraints Control Module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON.

NOTE: The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: The backrest Thermo-Electric Device (TED) filter is detachable from the TED assembly housing and can be replaced without TED removal.

1. Remove the front seat. For additional information, refer to Seat — Front in this section.
  1. NOTE: The seat backrest trim cover and foam pad have been removed to show the backrest trim panel retainers.

Remove the backrest trim panel.
    1. Release the 2 pin-type retainers at the bottom of the backrest trim panel.
    1. Slide the backrest trim panel down to release the upper clips.
    1. Turn the backrest trim panel to release the middle clips and remove the backrest trim panel.

1. NOTE: Lower outer J-clips are unfastened to show inner J-clips.

Release the backrest trim cover outer and inner J-clips attached to the backrest frame.

1. Push the release button in on each of the head restraint guide sleeves and remove the head restraint.
  1. Pull out and remove the 2 head restraint guides.
    • Discard the secondary head restraint guide.
      • For installation, install a new secondary head restraint guide.
  1. NOTICE: When installing, make sure the side air bag module wiring harness is not pinched between the side air bag module and backrest frame or damage to the wiring harness can occur.

Through the rear of the seat, remove and discard the 2 side air bag module bolts and separate the side air bag module from the seat backrest.
    • For installation, install 2 new side air bag module bolts.
      • Tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).
  1. NOTICE: Do not pull the side air bag module electrical connector out by the locking button. Damage to the locking button can occur.

NOTICE: Do not install the side air bag module electrical connector by the locking button. Damage to the locking button can occur.

NOTICE: The side air bag module electrical connector locking button must be in the released position when the connector is being installed or connector damage may occur.

NOTICE: The side air bag module electrical connector is unique and cannot be reversed when connected to the side air bag module. Match the electrical connector key to the keyway in the side air bag module. Do not force the electrical connector into the side air bag module or damage can occur.

Using a small screwdriver as shown, lift up and release the locking button on the side air bag module electrical connector. With the locking button released, remove the electrical connector and the side air bag module.

1. Separate the backrest frame from the backrest foam pad.
  1. Release the 3 clips, disconnect the electrical connector and remove the backrest TED .
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.