Ford Edge Forum
mustangary

Heated seat problems

Driver's side heated seat quit working. Lights on dash flash-on, quickly off, when push the button. No heat. Passenger side works just fine.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Fuse check would be a good place to start.

Hey mustangary, any solution to this. I have the same problem. A little too cold to start trouble shooting now though. Skeptical about the "Fuse check" advice from Scorpio, since the circuit seems to have power (and the passenger side works). I could be wrong. I'm thinking some sort of short that causes an overload, that's detected by the control module, and shut down before blowing the fuse. Sharing your experience would be appreciated. thx.

One of your seat heater elements is likely shot..... the heated seat control module continuously monitors the heater circuits for both the seat bottom and seat back heating elements, as well as a temperature sensor in each mat. If the control module detects a fault in any of the circuits or the temp sensor, it will not allow that seat heater to operate. That's why it flashes on real fast and then goes off, because it detects a fault. The heated seat module is located under the front passenger seat and controls both front heated seats.

So you gotta figure out which one of your heater mats is burnt up

You can usually do it with a continuity tester.

One of your seat heater elements is likely shot..... the heated seat control module continuously monitors the heater circuits for both the seat bottom and seat back heating elements, as well as a temperature sensor in each mat. If the control module detects a fault in any of the circuits or the temp sensor, it will not allow that seat heater to operate. That's why it flashes on real fast and then goes off, because it detects a fault. The heated seat module is located under the front passenger seat and controls both front heated seats.

So you gotta figure out which one of your heater mats is burnt up

I agree with this. I had a 2000 Expedition EB and the driver's side stopped working. The only difference was the light would stay illuminated. My wife barely used the heated seat in the passenger side, so I just swapped the elements. It was fairly easy to pull the leather back on the seat and peel the element off the foam and swap them. The swap worked until I traded it it a few years later. For all I know, it still works. Good luck!

Does the module have to be replaced, or is it the heating element in the seat itself? I'm having the same problem, unfortunately.

Does the module have to be replaced, or is it the heating element in the seat itself? I'm having the same problem, unfortunately.

The module itself is fine, it's usually one of the heating elements that needs to be replaced, most time the bottom cushion one. The module monitors the heating element circuits for shorts/opens, as well as the temperature, and will shut that side off if it detect a problem, hence why the lights come on and then go off real quick.... the module detected a problem in the circuit and disabled that side to keep from starting a fire or frying the module

• Like 1